• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Cheltenham in June

I need to travel from Liverpool to Cheltenham on Monday 3 June (arriving Cheltenham early afternoon and returning on Thursday 6 June (leaving about 4) and wondered if anyone had any advice for this journey. Work will be paying so I don't necessarily need to keep the cost down and I'll probably need a flexible option for the return, but not the outward journey.

I've looked at the journey times on the forum's ticketting site and noticed that the change for the outward journey could be made at Stafford (if split tickets are not chosen) or Wolverhampton (if split tickets are chosen). Would one of these stations be recommended over the other in terms of ease of changing or switching from/to a more comfortable train?

For the outward journey, if the itinerary has a change a Stafford but the ticket splits at Wolverhampton, would two seat reservations be needed for this leg and could this be for the same seat? I will be travelling with luggage and so would prefer not to have to move seats once on the train to Cheltenham.

Does anyone know roughly how much an upgrade to First via Seat Frog might be for the Cross Country part of the the journey and would you recommend it or is it not worth the extra for only 90 minutes or so?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Off Peak Return (Liverpool Stns to Cheltenham Spa) is £102.80 in Standard Class, route "Any Permitted". Would offer a degree of flexibility. Travel at or after 0930 during the week.

Or it's £37.00 + £52.00 (total = £89.00) for Off Peak Return tickets, if splitting at Stafford, noting that your train has to call there, although most trains on their way to/from the West Midlands do indeed make a call there.

Or £46.70 + £32.60 (total = £79.30) for Off Peak Return tickets, if splitting at Wolverhampton, with an 0900 start on the outward leg allowed from Liverpool.

Can't advise re SeatFrog upgrades.

Presume work isn't paying for first class travel?!

Off Peak Return (Liverpool Stns to Cheltenham Spa) is £102.80 in Standard Class, route "Any Permitted". Would offer a degree of flexibility. Travel at or after 0930 during the week.

Or it's £37.00 + £52.00 (total = £89.00) for Off Peak Return tickets, if splitting at Stafford, noting that your train has to call there, although most trains on their way to/from the West Midlands do indeed make a call there.

Or £46.70 + £32.60 (total = £79.30) for Off Peak Return tickets, if splitting at Wolverhampton, with an 0900 start on the outward leg allowed from Liverpool.

Can't advise re SeatFrog upgrades.

Presume work isn't paying for first class travel?!
Thanks for those options - sadly any first class upgrade will come out of my pocket.

Veteran Member
1. If you are travelling on Offpeak tickets as suggested, you do not need seat reservations. AIUI the GWR (!) website can do free seat reservations for Stafford-Cheltenham.
2. You are more likely to get a same-platform change at Stafford.

1. If you are travelling on Offpeak tickets as suggested, you do not need seat reservations. AIUI the GWR (!) website can do free seat reservations for Stafford-Cheltenham.
2. You are more likely to get a same-platform change at Stafford.
That’s helpful to know, thank you.