• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Glasgow TPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

Are the Liverpool to Glasgow’s starting this month or is it December changes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheerDanielita

On Moderation
Are the Liverpool to Glasgow’s starting this month or is it December changes?

I think it’s December as Real-time trains lists trains from Leeds as terminating in Scotland as oppose to Newcastle once an hour, ran by TransPennine Express.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think the OP is referring to Liverpool to Glasgow via WCML trains rather than the Liverpool to Edinburgh via ECML trains.

It rather depends on rolling stock and trained staff being available.

Given there is little sign of 397s being ready or anything else to free up 185s to be used instead it doesn't look likely that the Liverpool to Glasgow services start shortly.

They are in the timetable as running in service from December. Empty before then.

tpjm

Paths are in now but are down as class 5s. It all depends on Class 397 introduction and crew training/availability.

In reality, I wouldn’t expect to see this before December, as due to the Cl 350 hand back, there is likely to be a period where there isn’t any surplus rolling stock to operate services outside of the current provision.

gavin1985

Hi all, first time posting after some long term viewing!
As a resident of Edinburgh, I have kept an eye on the Glasgow-Liverpool direct train. One bit of news I managed to miss until I stumbled across on the forum was the direct train Edinburgh-Liverpool, with the misses and me planning a trip to Liverpool sometime before May 2020 this would come very handy without having to change over, despite the trip being longer, laziness and convenience is always a winner for me.
Have "planned" a few trips on train-line starting in January and looks like that is when the timetable for direct trains kicks in for both Glasgow/Edinburgh-Liverpool.

tpjm

The Liverpool - Glasgow and Liverpool Edinburgh are two completely different operations.

Liverpool - Edinburgh via York is an extension of an existing service so is arguably easier to implement, whereas Glasgow is an entirely new offering.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Liverpool - Glasgow and Liverpool Edinburgh are two completely different operations.

Liverpool - Edinburgh via York is an extension of an existing service so is arguably easier to implement, whereas Glasgow is an entirely new offering.

An entirely new offering but really just additional services between Glasgow and Wigan North Western over the route they already run that then happen to go to Liverpool rather than Manchester Airport.

Djgr

Established Member
An entirely new offering but really just additional services between Glasgow and Wigan North Western over the route they already run that then happen to go to Liverpool rather than Manchester Airport.

And considered in that context-not really such a big deal to sort out you would have thought?!

Djgr

Established Member
Yes, more down to lack of stock than lack of driver training I imagine.

Of course you could temporarily slim down the Scotland-Manchester Airport provision a tiny bit (which might offer other benefits in terms of congestion reduction)

tpjm

Stock and driver training for said stock more than route knowledge. Extending services is easier to do though than adding extra new services on. The focus is on new trains and then new services will follow.

The Bear

cle

Established Member
Why is that one timed as a diesel, even though it runs via the wires (and Wigan and Lancaster calls would be very useful).

Veteran Member
Why is that one timed as a diesel, even though it runs via the wires (and Wigan and Lancaster calls would be very useful).
In case TPE need to use a DMU, presumably. Omitting Wigan allows diverting via Bolton, no idea why no Lancs stop (but VT operate the station....).

Kite159

Veteran Member
In case TPE need to use a DMU, presumably. Omitting Wigan allows diverting via Bolton, no idea why no Lancs stop (but VT operate the station....).

It might have something to do with staffing at Lancaster as it would be 50 minutes after the last train had called and TPE might not want to pay Virgin to keep the station open.

-------

I saw one Glasgow - Liverpool TPE service on RTT yesterday which appeared to randomly call at Carstairs.

The Bear

It might have something to do with staffing at Lancaster as it would be 50 minutes after the last train had called and TPE might not want to pay Virgin to keep the station open.
Yes and Lancaster isn't the only station………

Status
Not open for further replies.