• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to London via Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMoiz

Hi

I'm booked to travel to London on the 27th with an off-peak return from Liverpool Stations to London Stations. It was booked by work and they intended me to change at Crewe (from a LNWR service to the Virgin one that started at Chester). However, looking at National Rail, it seems like the ticket is also valid via Chester using Merseyrail. As I live on the Wirral line, it'd reduce my end to end journey by 30 minutes.

Is it possible to use Merseyrail to get to Chester, and then switch to the Liverpool - London ticket? Or do I still have to travel up to Liverpool to start the journey properly?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
With a regular off peak ticket that is absolutely fine. Is your ticket from Liverpool stations? The only issue would be if you’re somewhere that isn’t “on route” from your ticket origin.

gray1404

Established Member
What sort of ticket to you hold. Is it an Anytime, Off Peak or Advace ticket. If it is an Advance ticket then you will have been given a counted place reservation on the Liverpool to Crewe train which, arguably, means you have to take that train. However, if you hold another type of ticket there may be more flexibility.

BMoiz

It's an off-peak return from Liverpool Stations. I'll be starting at Little Sutton, but I have a Merseyrail all zones railpass that I normally commute with, which'll get me to Hooton to be on the Chester line

_toommm_

Established Member
It's an off-peak return from Liverpool Stations. I'll be starting at Little Sutton, but I have a Merseyrail all zones railpass that I normally commute with, which'll get me to Hooton to be on the Chester line

As a general rule of thumb, I always say that if you can generate an itenaray on a journey planner, and it's not too wild, then it's good to go. From Liverpool Stations (specifically Central) it lets me go via Chester (most important for you, via Hooton), to Chester, then either on TfW to Crewe then down to Euston, or direct to Euston on VTWC.

You'll be good to go.

Never use Thetrainline to buy tickets, but it is an easy app to use for journey planning. Putting in Liverpool Stations to Euston via Chester gets you some nice itenaries you can follow.

Screenshot_20181122-211620_Trainline.jpg

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As a general rule of thumb, I always say that if you can generate an itenaray on a journey planner, and it's not too wild, then it's good to go. From Liverpool Stations (specifically Central) it lets me go via Chester (most important for you, via Hooton), to Chester, then either on TfW to Crewe then down to Euston, or direct to Euston on VTWC.

You'll be good to go.

Pretty sure Liverpool to London via Chester is Permitted, and there is no break of journey restriction so you are good to go with that.

It probably won't even raise an eyebrow, as some of the time Merseyrail Northern Line to MKC via Chester is faster than via LNR and Crewe and so appears on the planners by default.

JB_B

Established Member

In that case you're fine - picking up one of the permitted routes from Liverpool Group to London Group via Hooton on map combination CH+EJ

Status
Not open for further replies.