• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Worcester Train Strike

gjta123

Hello, I have advanced tickets from Liverpool to Worcester with a change at Birmingham on the day of strikes (5th April). I've never travelled during a strike. It's a journey I need to make, so was wondering if anyone could help with what my options would be. If theres a limited service, tickets able to use on other train companies, bus replacement etc. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

In theory, it ought to be possible to do the following:

Merseyrail or TfW Liverpool-Chester
TfW Chester-Hereford
GWR Hereford-Worcester

davetheguard

Established Member
In theory, it ought to be possible to do the following:

Merseyrail or TfW Liverpool-Chester
TfW Chester-Hereford
GWR Hereford-Worcester

Indeed. Merseyrail & Transport for Wales are not on strike at all. Great Western Railway are not on strike on 5th April; although there is an overtime ban in place.

So the journey is physically do-able via Chester & Hereford (although GWR's services are infrequent on this route). Just a matter of if your advance tickets via Birmingham would be accepted in the circumstances. Might be worth contacting Customer Services of the train operating company you're booked with to see if ticket acceptance via Hereford will be in place on the day.

gjta123

Thanks for the help. Having looked Hereford to Worcester looks like the problematic part, GWR have infrequent service from Hereford

Veteran Member
Thanks for the help. Having looked Hereford to Worcester looks like the problematic part, GWR have infrequent service from Hereford
...though there are a couple of afternoon trains that you might be able to make.

I assume you can't travel a day earlier or later, which is what the train operators would normally offer?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it normal for other operators to allow ticket acceptance when booked operators are on strike? With Advance tickets?

Generally acceptance is NOT offered in case of strike.

It can be argued that the PRO requires that it is, but in practice the only way to enforce this would be a court case.

trainophile

Established Member
Generally acceptance is NOT offered in case of strike.

It can be argued that the PRO requires that it is, but in practice the only way to enforce this would be a court case.

That's what I thought. So the OP probably needs to buy new ticket/s and claim a refund for the existing ticket.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Another alternative, but slow and painful, would be ATW to Birmingham, then (with changes) bus to Worcester. There used to be a through service, but I think you now need to change buses at somewhere like Halesowen & Bromsgove, and it probably takes over 3 hours from Birmingham.