• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all.

Am taking my young son to Liverpool soon (arriving on a london midland train from Brum.

What platform is best for viewing all the trains entering the station. Are there barriers in operation ?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Hi all.

Am taking my young son to Liverpool soon (arriving on a london midland train from Brum.

What platform is best for viewing all the trains entering the station. Are there barriers in operation ?

Many thanks.

Departure (Tunnel) end of platorms 7/8 give the best view.

No "mechanical" barriers. Full time "staff" barrier for platforms 1-6.
Virgin staff may check tickets of departing WCML passengers (usually platform 7).
Very occasional ticket checks on platform 8 (mostly used by LM trains to/from Birmingham.)
Alternative is to get a return ticket from Lime St. to Edge Hill, where you can see all trains to/from Lime St., and possibly a biomass freight whilst the loco runs round the train - check Real Time Trains for last Saturday to get typical running times. (But Edge Hill can be a bit "bleak" at this time of year.)

trainophile

Established Member
If you want to get the full experience at Lime Street, you can go down the escalator or lift onto the Merseyrail loop and see some Wirral Line 507s/508s going through. Most of them have smart new livery now, and at least one is dedicated to The Beatles.

If you want to get the full experience at Lime Street, you can go down the escalator or lift onto the Merseyrail loop and see some Wirral Line 507s/508s going through. Most of them have smart new livery now, and at least one is dedicated to The Beatles.

Yes I plan to do that depending on how cold it is for my little son. We can always go for a ride.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Yes I plan to do that depending on how cold it is for my little son. We can always go for a ride.

You will need a ticket to access the Wirral line (Low Level) platforms at Lime Street.

Daysaver tickets are available if you have enough time (no railcard discounts)

http://www.merseyrail.org/tickets-passes/daily-travel/day-saver.aspx

Alternatively, a short return trip to somewhere like Sandhills is a possibilty (change platforms at Liverpool Central on outward journey, Moorfields on return journey. )

Status
Not open for further replies.