• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Llanelli Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenllian2001

I wonder has any thought ever been given to move to a new station nearer to the town centre. The present station is a considerable distance from the heart of the town and, as has been pointed out on another thread, is situated between two level crossings. The railway itself runs quite close to the town centre and a new station would surely benefit the town and its residents.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

Move it further west? The level crossings would still be used at the same intervals for arrivals/departures surely?

luke_oliver

IMO I don't think a new station anywhere on the current alignment would get the station particularly closer to the town centre. Swansea is similar in that the station is a particular distance from the centre of the city.

swcovas

I really don't see how llanelli station could ever be more convenient for the town centre. The line's alignment is east-west and the town centre is to the north of the line so short of a deviation (impossible) I don't see how things will ever change. Apart from that the current station is a classic GW design and it would be a shame if it was ever lost.

luke_oliver mentioned Swansea station's location which is interesting in that, as he quite rightly states, it is little away from the town centre. I would go further and say that it's in what is today a pretty grotty part of the city. 45+ years ago when Swansea Victoria (the terminus for Central Wales Line trains) was open the opposite was true. It was tucked away in an obscure part of the city whereas High St station (current Swansea station) was within a busy commercial street leading down to the city centre. Today the area of Victoria station is the "buzz" part of the city. Things change.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I recall the story of a case where the station was a long way from the town and somebody asked "why ?" The reply was "It was more convenient to build it by the railway line".

luke_oliver

Things quite rightly change over time. Recent renovation of Swansea High St station has seen it transformed into a station fit for the 21st century. The station isn't going to get any closer to the city and the city isn't going to get any closer to the station. All that can really happen is better transport integration. In contrast to the Rail station, the Bus station is located centrally. There is a frequent bus service including the ftr metro that run between the two stations. All that is really required is better ticket interoperability allowing for almost seamless transport connections. Such as smart cards such as oyster. The problem has therefore turned from an infrastructure to ticketing issue (broadly speaking that is). Although not the most elegant solution, it is one at a much lower cost. This option would suit the Llanelli location too. I digress..........

Gwenllian2001

Things quite rightly change over time. Recent renovation of Swansea High St station has seen it transformed into a station fit for the 21st century. The station isn't going to get any closer to the city and the city isn't going to get any closer to the station. All that can really happen is better transport integration. In contrast to the Rail station, the Bus station is located centrally. There is a frequent bus service including the ftr metro that run between the two stations. All that is really required is better ticket interoperability allowing for almost seamless transport connections. Such as smart cards such as oyster. The problem has therefore turned from an infrastructure to ticketing issue (broadly speaking that is). Although not the most elegant solution, it is one at a much lower cost. This option would suit the Llanelli location too. I digress..........

The post war redevelopment of Swansea has left the station at the 'wrong end'. Had the will been there a new station might have been built somewhere around the area that contains the bus station etc. The infrastructure was there before being sacrificed to road 'improvements'.

As far as Llanelli is concerned, a dedicated bus link might well be the answer. Those that actually live in the area should know best.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The commercial "centre of gravity" moved form the Swansea High Street area from the late 1960's onwards and a combination of unattractive office type development and the "retail deterioration" makes it a very poor gateway the city. Not much the railway itself can do about that.I know many people have expressed how unimpressed they were in arriving by train and seeing the full extent of £1 shops at best.

Markdvdman

Llanelli would be better nearer the town centre, but the cost of doing so would be too much anyway - and we would see a new 'modern' station that looks rubbish!

I agree about Swansea, it is now a hideous gateway to the city. I often have to go through the High Street to get to the Kingsway - and there can be some unsavoury people about due to the run down nature.

It no doubt was once a great entry to the city - sadly not so any longer.

It is true though, better bus integration is necessary, and the only hope that will happen is if the WAG take over the running in 2018 I feel, or maybe not (due to the private bus companies maybe saying no :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.