• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNE & LNW

Mark1505

Hi

Wondering how you would explain to people the locations of LNE and LNW in terms of area where it serves from and to...

Any ideas on how to put this into simple terminology please?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Hi

Wondering how you would explain to people the locations of LNE and LNW in terms of area where it serves from and to...

Thanks
At its simplest level, LNE is ECML and NW&C (LNW of old) is WCML.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Hi

Thanks
The modern incarnation of the LNER operates the inter city services from London (Kings Cross) to Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, North East England and eastern Scotland.

The modern LNWR is part of a franchise called West Midland Railway and operates the stopping services on the line between London Euston, the West Midlands, and Liverpool, but not the inter-city or suburban services in those areas, operated variously by West Midlands Trains (also part of WMR), London Overground, Northern, and Avanti. It also operates a couple of branch lines from Watford to St Albans, and Bletchley to Bedford

The original LNER (1923-1947) was much more extensive than its modern namesake, also covering a wide swathe of the East Midlands, East Anglia, a transpennine route between Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Wrexham, and much of central Scotland and the West Highlands. It was not confined to Inter City services but included freight, local, and commuter services. It owned four Londoin termini, Marylebone, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, and Fenchurch Street

The original (pre 1923) LNWR was the largest railway company in the UK, with operations stretching from London (Euston) to the Scottish border at Carlisle, across the Pennines to Leeds, and deep into Wales (Holyhead and Swansea)

Established Member
I think as stated earlier he might be referring to the Network Rail zones LNE and LNW.

Those exact three letters appear on the cover of NR WONs and PONs issued to signallers, drivers and guards.

LowLevel

Established Member
LNE is ECML and MML and surrounding branches that aren't Anglia up to the LNW boundaries in Pennine country up towards Scotland.

LNW is the WCML and surrounding areas towards Wales and down towards the West Country.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I thought NR was now Regionalised, each one covering multiple Routes (except for Scotland, which is unitary).
The terms LNE and LNW don't appear in NR's description of itself.
The Routes are now called East Coast and West Coast (along with 12 others, including HS1 ("Network Rail High Speed").
I don't think I've heard anyone refer to Central Route or North East Route.
The West Coast Route appears to go no further than Crewe (probably reflecting the future extent of ROC control).
The Sectional Appendices don't appear to reflect the Regions either.

Among other things, GBR's structure is supposed to be aligned with NR's Regions.
I also thought that NR's Regional MDs were the ones with the devolved budgets.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I thought NR was now Regionalised, each one covering multiple Routes (except for Scotland, which is unitary).
The terms LNE and LNW don't appear in NR's description of itself.
The Routes are now called East Coast and West Coast (along with 12 others, including HS1 ("Network Rail High Speed").
I don't think I've heard anyone refer to Central Route or North East Route.
The West Coast Route appears to go no further than Crewe (probably reflecting the future extent of ROC control).
The Sectional Appendices don't appear to reflect the Regions either.

Among other things, GBR's structure is supposed to be aligned with NR's Regions.
I also thought that NR's Regional MDs were the ones with the devolved budgets.
LNW no longer exists, its North West and Central (NW&C) as the region. Its split into 3 routes, West Coast South, Central and North West. LNE is now Eastern region, split into 4 routes, Anglia, East Mids, North East and East Coast. Id ignore the sectional appendix on these things, its not being well looked after.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
LNW no longer exists, its North West and Central (NW&C) as the region. Its split into 3 routes, West Coast South, Central and North West. LNE is now Eastern region, split into 4 routes, Anglia, East Mids, North East and East Coast. Id ignore the sectional appendix on these things, its not being well looked after.

*North & East

Which includes Dronfield and Cleethorpes.