• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

blanik

LNER are great at posting advance tickets well in advance, but I've found issues booking advance+connecting services.

e.g. Journey 26th September Glasgow to Welwyn Garden City ( actually Paisley to WGC but a Scottish NEC £1 single from Paisley to Glasgow is usually cheaper ).

On the LNER website I cannot book to WGC, but only to Stevenage - so have to buy a separate ticket for about £5.
Apart from the extra cost this has caused problems in the past with Delay repay where the LNER has arrived 20min late into Stevenage, but I have then missed my Thameslink connection so ended up with a 30min delay that LNER refused to pay.

But the strangest leg is
EDIN to SVG - priced at £53 first advanced.
from GLASGOW QUEEN STREET to SVG - not available
from GLASGOW CEN/QST - also priced at £53, but when you try to buy get an error message.
from GLASGOW CEN - again priced at £53, and bought, but includes a bus transfer from Glasgow Central to Queen Street.

So why can't I buy an advice+connecting to WGC. I presume because the WGC timetable is not yet released.
And why is Glasgow QS a problem - I can only think that LNER have one service a day from Glasgow Central so will price the route even if not using their service, but don't run from Queen street.

So LNER releasing advance tickets so far ahead only appears to benefit people traveling between LNER stations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
Apart from the extra cost this has caused problems in the past with Delay repay where the LNER has arrived 20min late into Stevenage, but I have then missed my Thameslink connection so ended up with a 30min delay that LNER refused to pay.
Are you respecting minimum connection time when booking your second leg? If so LNER are clearly breaching the rules and should be paying delay repay. You should press the issue even if they initially refuse.

HughT

Certainly a persistent issue when travelling to Scotland from Cambridge. And by the time the connecting services can be booked, all the best fares have gone to folk who could book much earlier because they're only interested in LNER stations (as you point out in your last sentence). As the notional minimum 12-week window shrunk on some of the connecting operators (looking at you, Cross Country...) it's become even more of a problem.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LNER are great at posting advance tickets well in advance, but I've found issues booking advance+connecting services.

e.g. Journey 26th September Glasgow to Welwyn Garden City ( actually Paisley to WGC but a Scottish NEC £1 single from Paisley to Glasgow is usually cheaper ).

On the LNER website I cannot book to WGC, but only to Stevenage - so have to buy a separate ticket for about £5.

But the strangest leg is
EDIN to SVG - priced at £53 first advanced.
from GLASGOW QUEEN STREET to SVG - not available
from GLASGOW CEN/QST - also priced at £53, but when you try to buy get an error message.
from GLASGOW CEN - again priced at £53, and bought, but includes a bus transfer from Glasgow Central to Queen Street.

So why can't I buy an advice+connecting to WGC. I presume because the WGC timetable is not yet released.
And why is Glasgow QS a problem - I can only think that LNER have one service a day from Glasgow Central so will price the route even if not using their service, but don't run from Queen street.

So LNER releasing advance tickets so far ahead only appears to benefit people traveling between LNER stations.
Can you please provide the full itinerary you are looking at ?

You are entitled to claim Delay Repay when using a combination of tickets, providing it is a valid itinerary, however it can sometimes be difficult; this is particularly so if any of the trains get retimed after purchase.

You can reduce the likelihood of being rejected and/or make it easier to argue your case, by using a split ticket provider (such as the forum's site) which will provide an itinerary for the entire journey; where e-tickets are available you will get one PDF (with each ticket as a separate page within the PDF) which can make things easier. You may need to wait until a bit closer to the travel date before booking, though.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The problem is that a reservation is required on most connecting services so they aren't incluldd in the extended horizon. This is nothing new nad has been happening for the last 8 years.

blanik

You are entitled to claim Delay Repay when using a combination of tickets, providing it is a valid itinerary, however it can sometimes be difficult; this is particularly so if any of the trains get retimed after purchase.

You can reduce the likelihood of being rejected and/or make it easier to argue your case, by using a split ticket provider (such as the forum's site) which will provide an itinerary for the entire journey; where e-tickets are available you will get one PDF (with each ticket as a separate page within the PDF) which can make things easier. You may need to wait until a bit closer to the travel date before booking, though.

Can you please provide the full itinerary you are looking at ?
booked - Journey - Outward
26/09/2023
Reservations
No reservations made
Complimentary food & drink included
destination-icon.png
Glasgow Central
14:18
ScotRail
Edinburgh
15:48
26/09/2023
Reservations
Coach
destination-icon.png
Edinburgh
16:00
London North Eastern Railway logo

Stevenage
20:14

edit - I am NOT going to get complimentary food and drink on a slow 1h30 service from Glasgow central to Edinburgh!

an example of the Glasgow Central via Queen street - where a ticket from Queen street fails is

12:00 Glasgow Central to Stevenage

26/09/2023
  • Arrive​

17:58
  • Duration​

5h 58m
  • Status​

On time

BUS from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen Street 15m

We are unable to provide details of other operators' first class menus.

Scotrail Service from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh

1. 26/09/2312:15Depart
    Glasgow Queen StreetSee all calling points
  2. 13:03Arrive
    Edinburgh

Facilities​

• Seat reservations are not possible
  • Trolley Service
Train operator logo

Wheelchair spaces and Assisted travel​

You can reserve wheelchair spaces or extra help boarding the train with the train operator named above. Go to their website for more information on Assisted Travel.

Bike reservations​

Some train operators do not have space for bikes and do not allow taking a bike onboard.
For most train operators you need a reservation to bring your bike onboard, check directly with the operator named above.

Change at Edinburgh 00h 27m​

London North Eastern Railway Service from Edinburgh to York​

1. 26/09/2313:30Depart
    EdinburghSee all calling points
  2. 15:53Arrive
    York

Facilities​

• Seat reservations are mandatory
  • Restaurant Car available for First Class passengers

About Azuma​

This service is scheduled to be an Azuma. See more about the experience onboard our sleek new Azuma trains.
You can also see FAQs about assisted travel on Azuma.
Train operator logo

Azuma 9-coach trains​

Two wheelchair spaces in coach M (First Class)
Two wheelchair spaces in coach A
Please reserve a space with the Assisted Travel team.
Four reservable bike spaces in coach K, you must have a reservation to bring your bike onboard, please call 03457 225 333 to reserve a space.

Change at York 00h 09m​

London North Eastern Railway Service from York to Stevenage​

1. 26/09/2316:02Depart
    YorkSee all calling points
  2. 17:58Arrive
    Stevenage

Facilities​

About Azuma​

This service is scheduled to be an Azuma. See more about the experience onboard our sleek new Azuma trains.
Train operator logo

Azuma 9-coach trains​

Four reservable bike spaces in coach K, you must have a reservation to bring your bike onboard, please call 03457 225 333 to reserve a space.

The problem is that a reservation is required on most connecting services so they aren't incluldd in the extended horizon. This is nothing new nad has been happening for the last 8 years.
But as a normal consumer, I do not expect a reservation on a connecting service.
If the service is tomorrow I can make an advance+connection with no reservation, but if the service is in 3 months time I can't? Unless I travel from Glasgow Central and not Glasgow Queen Street!

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
booked - Journey - Outward
26/09/2023
Reservations
No reservations made
destination-icon.png
Glasgow Central
14:18
ScotRail
Edinburgh
15:48
26/09/2023
Reservations
Coach
destination-icon.png
Edinburgh
16:00
London North Eastern Railway logo

Stevenage
20:14

edit - I am NOT going to get complimentary food and drink on a slow 1h30 service from Glasgow central to Edinburgh!

an example of the Glasgow Central via Queen street - where a ticket from Queen street fails is

12:00 Glasgow Central to Stevenage

26/09/2023
  • Arrive​

17:58
  • Duration​

5h 58m
  • Status​

On time

BUS from Glasgow Central to Glasgow Queen Street 15m

Scotrail Service from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh

1. 26/09/2312:15Depart
    Glasgow Queen StreetSee all calling points
  2. 13:03Arrive
    Edinburgh

Facilities​

• Seat reservations are not possible
  • Trolley Service
Train operator logo

Wheelchair spaces and Assisted travel​

You can reserve wheelchair spaces or extra help boarding the train with the train operator named above. Go to their website for more information on Assisted Travel.

Bike reservations​

Some train operators do not have space for bikes and do not allow taking a bike onboard.
For most train operators you need a reservation to bring your bike onboard, check directly with the operator named above.

Change at Edinburgh 00h 27m​

London North Eastern Railway Service from Edinburgh to York​

1. 26/09/2313:30Depart
    EdinburghSee all calling points
  2. 15:53Arrive
    York

Facilities​

About Azuma​

Train operator logo

Azuma 9-coach trains​

Change at York 00h 09m​

London North Eastern Railway Service from York to Stevenage​

1. 26/09/2316:02Depart
    YorkSee all calling points
  2. 17:58Arrive
    Stevenage

Facilities​

About Azuma​

Train operator logo

Azuma 9-coach trains​

Looking at 5th September, LNER do sell a through fare from Paisley to WGC, which is cheaper than booking the journey as three separate legs in the way you did.

But, even cheaper, is using the forum's site for the entire journey; this gets split at Holytown, Haymarket and Stevenage. You also benefit from having a through itinerary, which could be useful if a delay occurs, as you can easily show the evidence of a valid itinerary and your contractual rights.

But as a normal consumer, I do not expect a reservation on a connecting service.
The problems are
1) GTR do not finalise their timetable as far in advance as LNER do; trains can get retimed when you book that far in advance
2) GTR want to sell their own Advance tickets; trains are either quota controlled or not and cannot be specified to be "reserveable" only for GTR-only journeys and not as part of a connection. This is a fundamental limitation of the ticketing system, though it's a good idea if it were possible.
If the service is tomorrow I can make an advance+connection with no reservation, but if the service is in 3 months time I can't? Unless I travel from Glasgow Central and not Glasgow Queen Street!
That'll be because Scotrail also have not confirmed their timetable and have quota controls on the (fast) trains from Queen Street. They won't yet be open for booking and the same principle applies above, in respect of using such trains for connecting services.

My advice is not to book so far ahead, and wait for all legs to go on sale, then book it as a through itinerary on a split ticket provider; the forum's site will still give you seat selection on LNER, so you won't lose out on that.

However it might cost slightly more to wait until all legs are available, as the LNER segment of the journey may increase in price, but I've seen prices go down as well as up, and for journeys really far ahead the prices are not noticeably (if any) cheaper, compared to waiting for other operators tickets to go on sale, in my experience.

If you book far ahead with LNER, before Scotrail/GTR finalise their train times, and you don't have a ticket from Paisley to Glasgow (or Edinburgh) and you don't have a ticket from Stevenage to WGC, you do need to consider what you would do if the timetable ends up being completely different; you won't have a contract covering the start/end of the journey so you would need to ensure that your itinerary matches up; you may end up departing earlier than you had bargained for and/or arriving later and if you change your mind about the journey, LNER may not want to waive the admin fee if nothing has changed on the booking you have with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.