• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seapacific

Out of curiosity, what kind of questions were you (or anyone else) given as part of your video interview?

What depot for?
Leeds

Be patient. A small team of people, to process a bell of a lot of applications, as well as dealing with other recruitment as well.
No real timescale, could be days, could be weeks.

There is already threads about LNER recruitment on here, they will have lots of feedback about timescales.

Ps, goodluck
Thanks a lot :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TreacleMiller

Took months to get a response on mine for Leeds. I know it's hard but be patient. There's one or two people that aren't full time doing it...

seapacific

Took months to get a response on mine for Leeds. I know it's hard but be patient. There's one or two people that aren't full time doing it...
Cheers mate, saves me refreshing my inbox every two secs then!

Out of curiosity, what kind of questions were you (or anyone else) given as part of your video interview?
Non railway specific, generic job interview questions.

Last edited:
It depends on your TOC.
Look at the job role and what the role actually is -

For example

Train driver -
Remaining calm
Organisation
Learning new skills / persistence/ achieving a goal
Working as a team and alone
Dealing with emergencies
Problem solving
Following rules / procedures

There are LOADS of examples on on this forum.
Just have an example for when you have done something like this ... From work life or family life

They all follow the general theme - but may be worded differently
And each TOC will have their own organisational goals / aima

MeatAndTwoMeg

I've passed psychometrics! HR should be in touch with me soon to give my offer and start date, but I just wanted to ask if anyone had any insight into when courses are running that still have spaces available? Are the courses mostly based in York?

TreacleMiller

Courses shifted to Newcastle, at least mine is.

No news on courses as far as I'm aware other than one in August and one in June. I'd imagine they'll be another in November.

22nd June
15th Aug
Poss Nov
Poss Jan

June and Aug are York.
One of the later dates may be Newcastle, as that was one of the posts specifically identified!

Well done to anyone who gets an offer ...
Between 9-12,000 people apply a year to the driver roles!
That is why they are SO busy!!
They are taking in 40!!

MeatAndTwoMeg

Thanks for the info. I have my fingers crossed for the August start date then! Would love to be based in York for a little bit.

Only 40 spots! That's actually crazy.

JamesGareth

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as myself. Applied for the Newcastle apprentice driver position and passed my psychometrics on the 12th May. And haven’t heard a thing since. My thumb is actually losing skin the amount of times I’m refreshing my emails….

MeatAndTwoMeg

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as myself. Applied for the Newcastle apprentice driver position and passed my psychometrics on the 12th May. And haven’t heard a thing since. My thumb is actually losing skin the amount of times I’m refreshing my emails….
I haven't waited nearly as long as you (passed psychometrics on 9th June), but have been refreshing my emails obsessively ever since! I was told I would receive a start date last Monday, but haven't heard anything yet. I'm a KX candidate.

arkleycd

Hi, I also passed psychometrics beginning of june and told medical would be quick with a view of being on the Jan course but nothing heard since so hopefully it will still be fine for then

Hazza

Hey! I wouldn’t worry too much as I know that the Medicals have to be within 6 months of the start date for them to be valid, so you should hear soon.
Also depending on your notice period- my notice is 6 months so I had to be rushed through. However if yours is shorter then you may wait a little longer for the medical :D

arkleycd

Hi, late reply but I have just come across this, I passed my Psychometrics beginning June for Newcastle also and was told weeks ago I would probaly be on a course In January.
Haven't heard anything since re a medical etc so fingers crossed.

beepcop

Does anyone have a contact email address for the recruitment side of LNER? I would like to chase up my application to see if it's even still live, but looking on Google seems to just send me round in circles.

seapacific

Does anyone have a contact email address for the recruitment side of LNER? I would like to chase up my application to see if it's even still live, but looking on Google seems to just send me round in circles.
I’m having same problem, not sure unfortunately

ollie_hobbs

Applications are definitely moving, although I've not heard anything about my driver application for Leeds either.

However I have just been given an offer for a dispatcher role with LNER based at Leeds after being in the talent pool for ~1month. Just waiting on medical results to confirm my contract.

I might be able to give you an email to contact for HR/Recruitment although I won't post it on here so they don't get swamped with chase up emails.

SarahDee

Applications are definitely moving, although I've not heard anything about my driver application for Leeds either.

However I have just been given an offer for a dispatcher role with LNER based at Leeds after being in the talent pool for ~1month. Just waiting on medical results to confirm my contract.

I might be able to give you an email to contact for HR/Recruitment although I won't post it on here so they don't get swamped with chase up emails.
Oh well done you! What makes you think applications are moving or do you mean for roles other than driver?

ollie_hobbs

Oh well done you! What makes you think applications are moving or do you mean for roles other than driver?
Yeh more applications in general. It can't be at a complete standstill as recruitment are still moving other applications forward.
At the medical there were a few other people there for various other LNER roles.

Defty27

Anyone else on the course starting in January? I know I am the only one from Newcastle going so thought I would see if the rest was made up from Leeds?

MeatAndTwoMeg

Anyone else on the course starting in January? I know I am the only one from Newcastle going so thought I would see if the rest was made up from Leeds?
Hi, I am (pending medical pass). I'll be based in King's Cross. HR said there are 4 for KX and the rest from the northern depots, so should be a good mix.

MeatAndTwoMeg

It is a very long commute! However I was going to move out if my current flat anyway and have asked HR if they will allow me to rent something short term in York for the classroom training and then move back down to London. It puts me out of the depot commuting radius so is a bit of a question mark at the moment.

Looking forward to meeting you all too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.