• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Newcastle (09/02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choochoo_loco

I’m pretty frustrated. I got all the way through last time around, passed the psychometric assessment which I now have for 5 years and failed on the MMI. This time around i have failed the 3rd online assessment. Go figure…. Best of luck to the people who are successful for the video interview.
I felt confident with the sjt and error checking, didn’t feel confident atall with the 3rd test. Just quickly read the passage then went with my 1st instinct for the answers as I was conscious of time. Finished with 3 minutes remaining and passed.
Wouldn’t remember the answers if I ever had to do it again and imagine I could easily fail.
If your anything like me I regularly check their website for vacancies so it can be abit disheartening when one comes up and your chance is over in a heart beat. I guess that’s how it has to be though with such a desirable job and so many applicants.
I don’t feel my video interview went as well as I’d liked. I had strong answers to give but nerves took over.
I’m just grateful for the experience as never done anything like that before . If I get anywhere then that’s a bonus!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesGareth

I felt confident with the sjt and error checking, didn’t feel confident atall with the 3rd test. Just quickly read the passage then went with my 1st instinct for the answers as I was conscious of time. Finished with 3 minutes remaining and passed.
Wouldn’t remember the answers if I ever had to do it again and imagine I could easily fail.
If your anything like me I regularly check their website for vacancies so it can be abit disheartening when one comes up and your chance is over in a heart beat. I guess that’s how it has to be though with such a desirable job and so many applicants.
I don’t feel my video interview went as well as I’d liked. I had strong answers to give but nerves took over.
I’m just grateful for the experience as never done anything like that before . If I get anywhere then that’s a bonus!
I was always nervous of that 3rd assessment as the difference is so fine between answers. Must’ve been reading too much into it I guess!

The video interview I feel is a strange one, talking to yourself without any idea of how you are doing. Usually you can see the face of the person interviewing you and get an idea.

Hope you have done yourself proud, I remember the the MS Teams interview was nice as you are talking to a real human and not a robot, fingers crossed you progress to that!

In the meantime I will study verbal reasoning and hope that they open recruitment once again soon!

Good luck to all!

Choochoo_loco

I was always nervous of that 3rd assessment as the difference is so fine between answers. Must’ve been reading too much into it I guess!

The video interview I feel is a strange one, talking to yourself without any idea of how you are doing. Usually you can see the face of the person interviewing you and get an idea.

Hope you have done yourself proud, I remember the the MS Teams interview was nice as you are talking to a real human and not a robot, fingers crossed you progress to that!

In the meantime I will study verbal reasoning and hope that they open recruitment once again soon!

Good luck to all!
Yes on a face to face interview you sometime get help with questions when you havn’t quite gave the answer they are looking for , like they will reword it slightly. You can pause to take a drink and have a little think before you speak. Or you may ask to skip or repeat a question and come back to it at the end giving yourself more time.
On the video your just thinking about time and having to go straight into answering the question in front of you.
Same for everyone though!
Good luck to whoever reaches the next stage and hopefully we all find out in the next week or 2.
I’d imagine they’ll be very busy though!

JW7

Hi everyone, apologies for what is a stupid question! I received a video interview invite on Monday night. It states I had three days from Monday to complete the interview. I'm assuming that means I'd have until Thursday to do it, and that Monday was not included in those three days? Been a busy few days at work so would prefer to get it done tomorrow as opposed to having to do it tonight

Volvictof

Hi everyone, apologies for what is a stupid question! I received a video interview invite on Monday night. It states I had three days from Monday to complete the interview. I'm assuming that means I'd have until Thursday to do it, and that Monday was not included in those three days? Been a busy few days at work so would prefer to get it done tomorrow as opposed to having to do it tonight
It doesn’t really give an exact idea of what it means by three days but I was working on the assumption it was 36 hours from you receiving the invite.

Choochoo_loco

It doesn’t really give an exact idea of what it means by three days but I was working on the assumption it was 36 hours from you receiving the invite.
One of the requirements for the job was you had gcse maths grade A-C ….:lol:

Last edited:

WBFC345

Anyone noticed that it was due to end last night, it then disappeared off the website and now it’s been re-advertised with no closing date? I’m guessing they don’t have enough people who have passed the tests and submitted their video interviews? Interested to hear others thoughts, I wonder if they will still be reviewing the video interviews they received?

Last edited:

djwyns

Anyone noticed that it was due to end last night, it then disappeared off the website and now it’s been re-advertised with no closing date? I’m guessing they don’t have enough people who have passed the tests and submitted their video interviews? Interested to hear others thoughts, I wonder if they will still be reviewing the video interviews they received?
thats actually really interesting especially when they advertised leeds and King's Cross earlier in the year and they both closed early

Sunnyhugo

Has anybody used the option 'decline video interview' and book an alternative interview? before starting video.
If so, whats the alternative?

Yfg132

Does anyone know what a drivers day looks like at Newcastle? Like what an average duty does?
You start in the bottom link I believe which is just London and back most days and then night shunts on and off heaton depot, after numerous years you will then move into the Edinburgh link which also sign Middlesborough now, could be wrong but that's what I've heard.

Does anyone know what a drivers day looks like at Newcastle? Like what an average duty does?
So Nwc-kings cross take a break and back.. And every few weeks or so youll do a week of shunts to and from the depot.

Then there's the Edinburgh link which do the above with Edn work.

Then there the lodge link which also do Inverness and stay over night, these work on seniority and takes many years to get into so I'm told. Basically when people retire the next inline moves up etc etc

Graham2493

Yep just stumbled across the ad by accident tonight & thought why not?

They even still had my cv so straight into the 3 assessments. Now waiting to see if I get a video interview invite.

Good luck everyone!

Driver068

You start in the bottom link I believe which is just London and back most days and then night shunts on and off heaton depot, after numerous years you will then move into the Edinburgh link which also sign Middlesborough now, could be wrong but that's what I've heard.
As a newly Qualified Train Driver you will be placed in the South link. You dont automatically move to the North link or lodge link as you have to request to be placed on the waiting list

Yfg132

As a newly Qualified Train Driver you will be placed in the South link. You dont automatically move to the North link or lodge link as you have to request to be placed on the waiting list
My bad, I'd imagine there's very few who don't request to go in the north link just for variety of work however the lodge link won't be for everyone for the obvious reason of lodging! Thanks.

NUFC_DRIVER

Surprised it’s still up on their site. I was sure I read it was supposed to end on the 16th.
Does that normally mean there wasn’t much interest if they’ve extended it or perhaps looking for more drivers then normal?
I’d of expected it to had been taken down early if I’m honest.
I’m guessing no one will hear back from the video interviews until it’s closed?

Choochoo_loco

Completed mine last week and haven’t heard anything yet. I can’t even explain how much I want this so it’s killing me waiting!
I think everyone is in the same position.
It’s hard but best to try and forget about it as we could be waiting months for a reply as bet they are really busy.
It’s hard not to keep checking your emails though! :p

Cyclist

Did anyone here complete the second test but not receive the third one?

edit: there was a system delay I guess, I have no received the third one.

Last edited:

Yfg132

I wonder the reasoning behind the vacancy still being live.. You would have thought they'd of been inemdated with applicants for such an oppurtunity! I guess they must just want/need a certain number of applicants through the video interview stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.