• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER BALLAST BRAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone

Looking for a bit of assistance / direction please?

I have acquired a Ballast Brake Van and its details are as follows;

Built 1948 by R Y Pickering of Wishaw.
Two numbers I believe are; 042176 & DE470820.

I intend completely rebuilding the wooden top sides as they are in a dreadful state, not a timber that isn't rotten.
The steel frames are though in very good condition.

My question is this....To aid the rebuild, could anyone point me in the direction of where I may get some build plans? Maybe its a long shot but thought I'd ask.

I'd rather start with the original drawings to save time, but if I cant locate any then I will revert to good old tape measure and CAD to draw some up.

Look forward to a valued reply.

Kind regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
For plans I would make a visit to the NRM at York and make use of Search Engine.
You may also find some diagrams in the Barrowmore collection. Not sure which book they are in though.
Also there is a book on the history of Sharks and Brakevans
British Railways Brake vans and Ballast ploughs by Eric Gent
Published HMRS ISBN 0-90235 16 5
Failing that there are a number in preservation around the country that could be measured up including our example on the NYMR.
Good Luck.

Gloster

Established Member
Eric Gent’s book only covers BR orders, but it is possible that the vehicle is very similar (or almost identical) to the Diagram 1/595 Cockle, of which six were built. Peter Tatlow’s single volume (sorry, I haven’t got the full five (?) volume set) history of LNER wagons shows a similar wagon. Have a look at the Diagram books on the Barrowmore MRG’s British Rail pages, as there might be a general arrangement drawing there.

Darandio

Established Member
Not a plan as such but if anyone is interested what one looked like then scroll down the bottom of this page for pictures of DE470821. I assume it was built alongside the one mentioned by the OP.

Gloster

Established Member
If that is the style of the vehicle acquired by the OP, then my comments on the Diagram 1/595 are irrelevant as it is a completely different design. Paul Bartlett mentions that volume 4B of Peter Tatlow’s series on LNER wagons is the relevant one.

Hi Guys, than you all for your input. I have searched the NRM Archive files and found 3 drawings listed and have applied for copies to be purchased. The Brake is to Diagram 203 as in the pics.
Mine is all there for measurement purposes, but completely rotten & dilapidated, so unfortunately its a complete rebuild. I could strip to most of frames to get measurements but thought I'd first ask if there were any drawings in existence.
Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.