• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER crew rosters.

greyman42

Established Member
A friend of mine travelled on the 0440 York to London on the 06/03/24. The guard who started at York was replaced by a guard at Doncaster. As neither York or Doncaster have crews based there, what is the reasoning behind this planning?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train Boy

A friend of mine travelled on the 0440 York to London on the 06/03/24. The guard who started at York was replaced by a guard at Doncaster. As neither York or Doncaster have crews based there, what is the reasoning behind this planning?
Doncaster does have an LNER train crew depot.

greyman42

Established Member
Doncaster does have an LNER train crew depot.
Ok thanks. Where would the guard who did the York to Doncaster run come from? Is it the same one who came up on the previous nights 2300 London to York service?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Ok thanks. Where would the guard who did the York to Doncaster run come from? Is it the same one who came up on the previous nights 2300 London to York service?
I think it may well be as that changes at Doncaster now as well.

Established Member
This seems an odd thread. Why is the OP so interested in the workings of one particular guard?

Twingo37175

This seems an odd thread. Why is the OP so interested in the workings of one particular guard?
To be fare, as a Doncaster local, I have always looked curiously at the 2 services and staffing (is it railway taxis in the middle of the night to and from York, or a crew effectively have a night turn for 3 hours in York)

greyman42

Established Member
I always thought that it was the same crew who came up from London on the 2300 and then stopped the night and then returned to London on the 0440. As this is not the case, i wondered why it needed more than one guard/crew.

Kieran1990

I believe it’s crewed by Leeds. As it’s a 91 and only KX and LDS have traction knowledge.
Probs a taxi from Leeds or TPE night service it over

WF4HA5HE

Not sure what time the book on is but it is a Donny crew. They go down Donny-KGX then go all the way back to York on the 23.00 KGX-York then stay on the train for about 3 hours before working the 04.40 the next morning from York to Doncaster were a fresh Doncaster crew take over to take it onto KGX.

Donny have the knowledge.
Doncaster guards and Drivers still sign 91s

Do LNER crews normally work together from staff of the same depot?

So Leeds drivers always work with Leeds train managers or is there a mixture

WF4HA5HE

Do LNER crews normally work together from staff of the same depot?

So Leeds drivers always work with Leeds train managers or is there a mixture
Usually abit of both as guards and drivers diagrams aren't always the same due to working hours, breaks and route knowledge..... your first train of the day may be with someone from your depot but throughout the day you may split.