• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER error adding Leeds-Edinburgh journey to basket causes error

Status
Not open for further replies.

smsm1

I've found a problem on the LNER website when trying to add the journey Leeds to Edinburgh 09:14-12:21 changing in York on Fri 26th August 2022 to my basket I get a something went wrong error and lose the whole basket, so having to start from scratch again, which is rather annoying when I had added several other journeys to the basket already. It's for 2 adults and 1 or 2 children (1 is under 5 but willing to pay for ease of seat reservation).

It's really weird to get an error like that and to completely lose the basket of other journeys too. Screenshots attached.

Will likely find another stop over point instead as this one is causing so much pain. I'm curious as to what could be causing the issue. Some odd bit of data? Something up with the warning re TPE journeys maybe not running? Maybe some other bug that needs fixed and there's a bunch of other journeys with similar issues. If only we had the DB booking system where you could say stop in place x for y hours, and get a single price and barcoded ticket, however the option to increase layover time doesn't seem to exist any more.

I've just tried in the Android LNER app and get the error tickets not available. Why are they shown as an option if not available?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 01.15.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 01.15.57.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 01.15.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 01.15.38.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20220721-061809.png
    Screenshot_20220721-061809.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex365Dash

If only we had the DB booking system where you could say stop in place x for y hours, and get a single price and barcoded ticket, however the option to increase layover time doesn't seem to exist any more.
It does on TrainSplit!

I’d just try using another retailer if I were you - is there any particular reason for wanting to use LNER to book your tickets?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've found a problem on the LNER website when trying to add the journey Leeds to Edinburgh 09:14-12:21 changing in York on Fri 26th August 2022 to my basket I get a something went wrong error and lose the whole basket, so having to start from scratch again, which is rather annoying when I had added several other journeys to the basket already. It's for 2 adults and 1 or 2 children (1 is under 5 but willing to pay for ease of seat reservation).

It's really weird to get an error like that and to completely lose the basket of other journeys too. Screenshots attached.

Will likely find another stop over point instead as this one is causing so much pain. I'm curious as to what could be causing the issue. Some odd bit of data? Something up with the warning re TPE journeys maybe not running? Maybe some other bug that needs fixed and there's a bunch of other journeys with similar issues. If only we had the DB booking system where you could say stop in place x for y hours, and get a single price and barcoded ticket, however the option to increase layover time doesn't seem to exist any more.

I've just tried in the Android LNER app and get the error tickets not available. Why are they shown as an option if not available?
Trainsplit does it with no need to alter the interchange location, but you can change the change point if you wish.

Seat selection is available too.

1658436837399.png

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I closed it now, but if I recall correctly, the split and change points were both York.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I closed it now, but if I recall correctly, the split and change points were both York.
As I suspected. There is something weird going on with through bookings to/from TPE services, which wouldn’t be reflected by that split.

smsm1

I’d just try using another retailer if I were you - is there any particular reason for wanting to use LNER to book your tickets?
With my Halifax credit card I've got cashback extras, one of the ones that's come up is 5% discount when buying through LNER online, so quite a significant discount when going up and down the East Coast mainline twice when able to do it as a single transaction (it's a one time discount).
Trainsplit is a simple extend the interchange time at all stations, whilst on DB it's specific to the particular station.
Seat selection is available too.
My main pain point with some of the train splits is having to move seats and carriages. I'll only do that if there's a significant saving, especially with kids. A few pound just isn't worth the extra hassle compared to a through ticket. Granted in this specific example it's a split at the change of train, however some of the others I looked at were requiring 2 carriage changes between Edinburgh and Peterborough.

We're talking to TPE about it.
Excellent.

After further trial and error, I found having the overnight stay in Newcastle worked out cheaper overall and a little better for timings. There was an option of a slightly cheaper advance fare for TPE between Newcastle and Edinburgh however with that train having been cancelled at least a few times recently I thought it was best to play it safe with the alternative LNER options for that leg considering the alternative arrangements are being reviewed on a day by day basis.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
With my Halifax credit card I've got cashback extras, one of the ones that's come up is 5% discount when buying through LNER online, so quite a significant discount when going up and down the East Coast mainline twice when able to do it as a single transaction (it's a one time discount).
Whether taxpayers should be funding this subsidy of LNER's retail operations is, I think, a serious question to be asked, but beyond the scope of this thread.

There are occasions you will be paying more than 5% premium for through fares though, so it can be a false economy.
Trainsplit is a simple extend the interchange time at all stations, whilst on DB it's specific to the particular station.
That's not true; you specify the station you want to change at (up to 3) and you can specify the additional minutes for each.
My main pain point with some of the train splits is having to move seats and carriages.
You don't generally have to move, though if the train is extremely busy and you are late to book this can happen.

The seat selector means you can often obtain the same seats.
I'll only do that if there's a significant saving, especially with kids. A few pound just isn't worth the extra hassle compared to a through ticket. Granted in this specific example it's a split at the change of train, however some of the others I looked at were requiring 2 carriage changes between Edinburgh and Peterborough.
Do you have an example where you were unable to select the same coach/seat for the whole journey?

When the new reservations system is fully online, you won't have to change seats manually and this issue will go away.

OscarH

For future reference, on the new site at least, if you add the station as a via point and set it to "Change At" it'll prompt you for the extra time for that station individually.

You can also disable split tickets if find it a hassle, though obviously you'll still lose the 5% cashback from LNER (and with split tickets off you would've been probably run into the same reservation problem)

smsm1

Whether taxpayers should be funding this subsidy of LNER's retail operations is, I think, a serious question to be asked, but beyond the scope of this thread
Other train operators have provided cashback, e.g. through cashback sites in the past. How is this different to scheme such as LNER perks or the
There are occasions you will be paying more than 5% premium for through fares though, so it can be a false economy.

I rarely find any significant savings on the route between Ipswich and Edinburgh, I think the most I've found that could just about work would be £20, and would potentially mean an awkward timing on different trains. The odd train I find for the dates and times I'm travelling are only small discounts. If there's disruption it then limits the trains that you can get as you have to go on trains via those stations (unless there's some exception I'm not aware of).

I find the seat selectors really fiddly, especially for groups of 4 travelling together. I've had a problem in the past on the LNER seat selector where I couldn't batch confirm all 4 seats, and instead had to confirm each seat separately. Also the LNER one requires you to click the seat you want to edit which jumps you back to the carriage you are already on. On train split I've discovered whilst writing this, you can click each seat one after the other and it'll choose it for different people, however it's not obvious that this is possible, even so it make it a better experience. Those experiences have really put me off using seat selectors.
Oh look there seems to be errors saving the change of seats in the seat selector just now.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.50.26.png

I've found a possible bug on the train split seat selector where it is only showing half the carriage.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.56.17.png
Sorry, I seem to be finding all the problems.
Do you have an example where you were unable to select the same coach/seat for the whole journey?
I've had this issue in the past when booking only 1-3 weeks ahead and most seats are booked already, particularly when wanting a table too. Sometimes it's hared to book ahead. Or maybe I wasn't spending long enough looking through all of the carriage to find a combination that works. When you can't edit all journey segments at the same time and have to take notes etc. Maybe having the booking open in multiple windows works fine, however having had bad experience in past with this, maybe not. I've had issues where I can't save the seat selections.
When the new reservations system is fully online, you won't have to change seats manually and this issue will go away.

Excellent to hear.

For future reference, on the new site at least, if you add the station as a via point and set it to "Change At" it'll prompt you for the extra time for that station individually.
Oh, I hadn't tried the change at option. However at something like 1400 minutes, I just get no trains found, whereas DB will at least provide a journey, though can't sell anything for the UK other than an interrail pass, which of course wouldn't be valid as I'd be in the same country and not travelling internationally. It's a feature that I use frequently when travelling to Germany that I'd find useful here, particularly for 1 or 2 night stops en route somewhere else.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.11.39.pngScreenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.10.01.png

OscarH

Oh look there seems to be errors saving the change of seats in the seat selector just now.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.50.26.png

I've found a possible bug on the train split seat selector where it is only showing half the carriage.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.56.17.png
Do you remember what service this was for? Sadly the industry data for reservations/seat maps is beyond terrible at times, so that's my immediate thought, but if you know the service we can check if there's a bug at the TrainSplit end

Oh, I hadn't tried the change at option. However at something like 1400 minutes, I just get no trains found
Ah, I've only used it for day trips

smsm1

Do you remember what service this was for? Sadly the industry data for reservations/seat maps is beyond terrible at times, so that's my immediate thought, but if you know the service we can check if there's a bug at the TrainSplit end
Edinburgh-London stop at York LNER, First Saturday in September around 10 or 11am.

Thanks for taking a look.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Other train operators have provided cashback, e.g. through cashback sites in the past. How is this different to scheme such as LNER perks or the
I'll make a new thread about this in due course but basically some TOCs appear to be cross-subsidising their retail side of the business in what I think is a clear abuse of a dominant market position and gives them an unfair advantage over third party retailers.
I rarely find any significant savings on the route between Ipswich and Edinburgh, I think the most I've found that could just about work would be £20, and would potentially mean an awkward timing on different trains.
By all means pay the premium if you've got the cash to do so, but the saving can be a lot more than £20

1658492781736.png
Example shown: 1242 IPS - EDB on 10/08; Trainsplit charges £83.53 while LNER charges £183.40. The trains either side are similar in price, with Trainsplit saving around £8-£5 for those. Prices shown are 1 undiscounted adult

The odd train I find for the dates and times I'm travelling are only small discounts. If there's disruption it then limits the trains that you can get as you have to go on trains via those stations (unless there's some exception I'm not aware of).
If you're still referring to having Advance fares, there is no difference whether you have a split ticket or a through ticket, in respect of which trains you may take where disruption occurs. The principle is exactly the same in either case.

If you are referring to walk up fares, which is beyond the scope of this thread, that can be a bit different, for example if a delay occurs which is not long enough to invoke ticket acceptance, then yes you could be required to take slower trains than would have been possible if you had a through fare.

Splitting doesn't give you fewer rights and it does not change your entitlement to be re-routed in times of disruption; for example a London to Edinburgh Super Off Peak ticket holder has no more rights to use the West Coast route from Euston than the holder of London to York + York to London tickets. If ticket acceptance is not in place and the passenger would not otherwise be stranded, neither can travel that way, whereas if it is in place, both can.

I find the seat selectors really fiddly, especially for groups of 4 travelling together. I've had a problem in the past on the LNER seat selector where I couldn't batch confirm all 4 seats, and instead had to confirm each seat separately. Also the LNER one requires you to click the seat you want to edit which jumps you back to the carriage you are already on. On train split I've discovered whilst writing this, you can click each seat one after the other and it'll choose it for different people, however it's not obvious that this is possible, even so it make it a better experience. Those experiences have really put me off using seat selectors.
View attachment 118060

View attachment 118059
Loads of problems with seat selectors will continue to occur until the new reservation system is fully rolled out.
I've had this issue in the past when booking only 1-3 weeks ahead and most seats are booked already, particularly when wanting a table too. Sometimes it's hared to book ahead. Or maybe I wasn't spending long enough looking through all of the carriage to find a combination that works. When you can't edit all journey segments at the same time and have to take notes etc. Maybe having the booking open in multiple windows works fine, however having had bad experience in past with this, maybe not. I've had issues where I can't save the seat selections.
To be fair, if a table for four isn't available between London and Edinburgh then you aren't going to be able to select it, regardless of whether or not you have a through fare or not!

There are times when splitting can get you better seats, e.g. one table may be available from London to York and another from York to Edinburgh, with no one table available throughout.

Sometimes it's the only way to book as there may be availability of 1 advance fare but no seat available for the through journey, but one seat may be free to the split point, with another free from there.

None of these should be considered downsides of splitting.

Once the issues with seat selectors are sorted, I believe sites like Trainsplit could try to issue a through seat by default. If I recall correctly there was a brief period where this was possible. I understand the current system is a sort of hybrid with a broker translating requests between the old and new systems and this is not an ideal situation but no retailer can offer a seamless experience until the system is amended.

Excellent to hear.

Oh, I hadn't tried the change at option. However at something like 1400 minutes, I just get no trains found, whereas DB will at least provide a journey, though can't sell anything for the UK other than an interrail pass, which of course wouldn't be valid as I'd be in the same country and not travelling internationally. It's a feature that I use frequently when travelling to Germany that I'd find useful here, particularly for 1 or 2 night stops en route somewhere else.

View attachment 118057View attachment 118058
If you want really long interchanges, such as overnight, you have to plan each leg separately unfortunately.

And yes the system in Germany is great for this sort of thing however in the UK some TOCs have a bee in their bonnet over starting/finishing short (which gets lumped into "break of journey") and so I don't think they'd be keen on allowing overnight stays to be specified in this way. The Government seems afraid to stand up against the TOCs on such issues.

TOCs are able to get away with all sorts of things!

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
Edinburgh-London stop at York LNER, First Saturday in September around 10 or 11am.

Thanks for taking a look.
Following a cache invalidation, I believe this should have improved - the rest of the carriage should be visible.

Sadly there is no data on tables, so you'll get an improved seat map but not a lot of additional contextual information.

LNER themselves seem to rely on their own proprietary coach data (which is hardcoded in some static Handlebars templates based upon the rolling stock in use) for their services which to the best of my knowledge they don't share with the rest of the industry via the RARS2 system. This enables them to render a proper DOM-based seat map, which is accessible to screen readers and includes information such as table positions and luggage rack locations:

The actual data we have access to in RARS as independent retailers is much more limited and of a poorer quality.

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
You really think LNER has a dominant position over third party retailer?
Not sure if this is directed at me or @yorkie

I'm personally quite happy to debate that at a forum meal over some drinks, but I think we're at risk of derailing the thread here if we start digging too much into that question :)

I stand by what I've said about the seat-map data though (and when it comes to e.g. who pays for customer service resource / refunds during industrial action, I think TOCs are in a better commercial position given the nature of the rail service contracts that are in place with the DfT); and to be clear, I don't think this is a phenomenon unique to LNER. We should be striving for a level-playing field where data is open, high quality and kept up to date by TOCs in order to allow innovation.

Views my own as an independent professional etc etc

Starmill

Veteran Member
I suspect it is probably a misunderstanding related to the Halifax offer. This kind of 'on-card cashback' offer using a packaged bank account or American Express card is a commercial tool rather than something which is, per se, 'publicly funded'. LNER will be paying the cashback schemes a fee as a targeted marketing operation anyway, in order to improve their access to the type of customer which these card schemes have, which is what LNER really wants, rather than trying to get people to use their site rather than booking their tickets through someone else. They're also on the airtime rewards app at present. Some of the incentives are available at all LNER outlets including even ticket machines. Any retailer of tickets could undertake this kind of marketing campaign should they wish to.

Obviously however, there is a separate debate about the dominant position of the LNER sales outlets themselves. Of course there's also the argument that since LNER became a de facto state corporation again, it's very difficult to separate them from other Quangos or non-ministerial government departments. The degree to which they're run at 'arms length' is also open to debate. That's a rather different story although I wouldn't presume to take this thread off topic with full discussion of it!

smsm1

Following a cache invalidation, I believe this should have improved - the rest of the carriage should be visible.
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 14.26.26.pngScreenshot 2022-07-22 at 14.26.18.png
Not sure if I'm missing something, here's a few more possible bugs:
  1. I can't seem to get to the seat selector any more.
  2. I've used the family railcard, however it's saying 0 x family railcard has been used.
  3. How do you delete things from the basket?
  4. The personal details screen doesn't remember the data already entered.

One of the other reasons for not using trainsplit on this occasion is the need for Plusbus tickets at a few points. Granted I could have got them from a ticket office or train guard separately.

Example shown: 1242 IPS - EDB on 10/08; Trainsplit charges £83.53 while LNER charges £183.40. The trains either side are similar in price, with Trainsplit saving around £8-£5 for those. Prices shown are 1 undiscounted adult
That's quite an impressive example that I've not seen before in my own searches. Granted the neighbouring trains may be better options.
To be fair, if a table for four isn't available between London and Edinburgh then you aren't going to be able to select it, regardless of whether or not you have a through fare or not!

There are times when splitting can get you better seats, e.g. one table may be available from London to York and another from York to Edinburgh, with no one table available throughout.

Sometimes it's the only way to book as there may be availability of 1 advance fare but no seat available for the through journey, but one seat may be free to the split point, with another free from there.

None of these should be considered downsides of splitting.
Fair points, though if it means changing carriage, in some cases I've been given opposite ends of the train or even seen having to move to a different unit in a 2x5car set, to which I'm told it just too much hassle an either find another train or pay the extra, especially with young kids, suitcases, and a potentially a buggy in tow.
I suspect it is probably a misunderstanding related to the Halifax offer. This kind of 'on-card cashback' offer using a packaged bank account or American Express card is a commercial tool rather than something which is, per se, 'publicly funded'. LNER will be paying the cashback schemes a fee as a targeted marketing operation anyway, in order to improve their access to the type of customer which these card schemes have, which is what LNER really wants, rather than trying to get people to use their site rather than booking their tickets through someone else. They're also on the airtime rewards app at present. Some of the incentives are available at all LNER outlets including even ticket machines. Any retailer of tickets could undertake this kind of marketing campaign should they wish to.
I've seen and used thetrainline offers of a similar nature before, so not unheard of for non-train operators to offer this kind of an incentive.

Adam Williams

Established Member
I can't seem to get to the seat selector any more.
For now: Access it from the basket, not the review journeys summary in the checkout flow

I've used the family railcard, however it's saying 0 x family railcard has been used.
This bug is in the tracker and on my radar to fix already, but the feedback is appreciated!

How do you delete things from the basket?
Click the trash icon from the basket
Screenshot showing basket icon with trash can icon

The personal details screen doesn't remember the data already entered.
If you're authenticated it will (and you'll be able to manage what's saved from the My Account area)

One of the other reasons for not using trainsplit on this occasion is the need for Plusbus tickets at a few points. Granted I could have got them from a ticket office or train guard separately.
Soon (TM)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If ticket acceptance is not in place and the passenger would not otherwise be stranded, neither can travel that way
That is not the case; if the delay by relying on the normal NRCoT rights would be more than an hour, the passenger is entitled to be re-routed at the earliest opportunity. Which could well be the WCML if there is serious disruption on the ECML.

Status
Not open for further replies.