LNER HST Unreserved Seats - latest situation?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by AlJohnstone, 13 Aug 2019.

1. AlJohnstone

AlJohnstone New Member

My Son-in-Law has just booked KGX to EDB 12 midday this Friday 16 Aug HST (Highland Chieftain to INV). LNER site would not allow any seat reservation, presumeably because the train will be rammed (Edinburgh Festival, English Holidays, etc). Latest HST-seating-map-updated april-2019.pdf shows seats in the southern end nos 1 to 45 (minus priority) of Coach G as Non-Reservable, together with a smattering among the other Coaches. Does anyone know if, in reality, upon boarding, will that block of seats all be displaying Unreserved? I've told him about the Seat Sensor App, but this is no use until the journey is underway, I think?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Middle of the train (F, G, H) tends to be best for unreserved seating on standard class.

4. CJSwan

CJSwan Member

I traveled in June on the 09:52 Aberdeen to Kings Cross service as far as Edinburgh, and yes, the southern end of coach G (nearest the buffet) was unreserved. My advice would be to try and get in that coach as soon as possible.

5. Knight1645

Knight1645 Member

Best thing to do is find your platform before the train is announced. You can look for the destination paperwork on the side of the train by walking around the platforms then stand by the door until allowed on after being cleaned etc. It's easy to spot your train as should not be many hst in the station. Mostly 225s or Azumas.

6. Knight1645

Knight1645 Member

Then you can find your fav seat before it gets rammed!

7. wezmerc

wezmerc Member

If this Friday is anything like last (which I imagine it will be) I'd recommend avoiding that service if at all possible. LNER had to deploy crowd control measures to allow those with reservations access first for Edinburgh bound trains from around lunchtime. I'd suggest services pre 10am or later in the afternoon for a more comfortable journey with better chance of a seat.

8. Lemmy99uk

Lemmy99uk Member

Without a seat reservation, your son-in-law has simply booked a ticket to Edinburgh, not tied to a specific train.

The priority on the Chieftan will be given to those with seat reservations and those going beyond EDB.

I think it would be sensible to look at alternative services without a reservation.

9. ejstubbs

ejstubbs Member

Unless they've changed the system since the last time I did it, if you take your ticket to a station booking office you can get a reservation on an alternative train of your choice FoC - assuming reservations are available.

10. blackfive460

blackfive460 Member

And the best way to do that is to use Open Train Times maps.
    This is the one for Kings Cross https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/ecm1.
    The train in question is 1W96 and should be shown on the map long before Kings Cross gets round to indicating which platform it's on. It's booked to depart from Platform 8 but may not actually use the booked platform.

11. mikey9

mikey9 Member

Last Friday the Chieftain was fine (I and fam. of 4 were on it to Inverness)- was fairly full from London departure at 12 noon - and the usual variation of business (considering English school holidays) all the way up.

And Platform 1 last week.....although who knows?

12. 43096

43096 Established Member

There are also staff information screens around the station that show train headcodes against platforms. They are visible (and useful) to punters if they know what they’re looking at.