• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER King cross depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routedirect

Hello all,
Where can a LNER Kings Cross driver expect to go a far as . Would he/she get to go Edinburgh/Glasgow or as far York.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
I believe they do Leeds and Newcastle only but am happy to be corrected by an lner driver?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wouldn't they go to Hull and Skipton too?
I think that's all Leeds depot work. Those services either all start to early for Kings Cross crew to get there or to late for them to get back.

heedfan

I think that's all Leeds depot work. Those services either all start to early for Kings Cross crew to get there or to late for them to get back.

Correct - Hull/Skipton/Harrogate/Lincoln all stabled overnight at Neville Hill so are picked up by Leeds drivers.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Not exactly on topic but for the sake of completeness on the drivers’ side the LNER service to Hull is handled by the modestly sized driver depot at Doncaster

Crazyb

KX men and girls go as far as Newcastle, they are are the sort of longer jobs.

The leeds jobs are the shorter turns as your normally go there and back in sort of 6 hours.

You do go on the diversion routes, which are via Cambridge and Lincoln.

Routedirect

When you guys change crew at Newcastle or Leeds would it you operate the next service back or do you have time off.

AJD

We sign Leeds and Newcastle including the Hertford diversion on passing out. Pretty sure the Bradford's, Skipton's and Harrogate's are covered by Leeds and the Hull's go to the Doncaster men/women. As for traction I sign 90s, 91s and HSTs but not sure what's happening with those seeing as Class 800 (I don't call them Azuma's) certification has accelerated in recent weeks. I hear some are being stocked with food ready for imminent service.

Later you'll be given the opportunity to learn the Cambridge and Lincoln diversions and then there's progression from the main link to the TBird link (67s and 08 pilot) but who knows what's happening with 67s in the medium to long term. Typical day is Leeds and back or Newcastle and back, but a few turns have a trip to the depot at the start or finish. For some it's samey samey, but personally I like it and it's a vast improvement on my previous depot.

Regarding the crew changeover, typically at Leeds you would get an hour and work the second service back from your arrival (so if you arrive at 0945 you'd find yourself working the 1045 from Leeds-London, not the 0915) and it's not too dissimilar for Newcastle unless you're running late. I've pulled into Newcastle 100 minutes late and my southbound working was sat on the platform waiting for me to take it forward. Hope that answers your questions.

Wilko5816

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can help regarding what LNER’s T&C’s are like? Rest day work, Sunday’s, bank holidays, Kings Cross / Bounds Green Car parking? Staff travel arrangements, reciprocal travel with other TOC’s? Also any idea of when they maybe recruiting again for qualified drivers? Not asking much lol
Many thanks

EC123

Hi Wilko5816

Can’t answer much about the parking arrangements in London due to being based elsewhere. But:

- Sunday’s inclusive in the working week
- Bank holidays are normal days. Luck
Of the draw with regards to what/when you have off
- rest day work sign on payment + pay for the shift
- staff travel on TL/GN (a lot of London staff commute from PBO)
- at the minute I think we still have travel with VTWC, but unsure as to when that comes to an end.
- recruitment, with the IEP (don’t call them By that A name) being rolled out, I imagine it will be sooner rather than later.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.