• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER or Grand Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's wrong with moving if another company is offering you a better deal elsewhere?

I'm sure the people doing the training would move if they got offered a better deal elsewhere.

Maybe the correct view would be "What can we do as a company to stop drivers leaving?"

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Perhaps. But you know what you’re signing for when you sign your contract as a trainee driver.

And in respect to moving; even as a qualified it’s not an easy task, especially to go to LNER or CC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Perhaps. But you know what you’re signing for when you sign your contract as a trainee driver.

And in respect to moving; even as a qualified it’s not an easy task, especially to go to LNER or CC.
I totally agree, but personally I don't see a problem with qualified drivers moving.

If you sign a contract, you need to be prepared to do that job for however long it is until you leave. It might take years.

However, drivers are highly qualified professionals, expensive to replace with someone off the street, and as a result I feel that the competition between companies to retain drivers is good for us as a grade.

I have no idea what salary GC is offering, but some TOCs have historically found it cheaper to train new drivers and offer a lower salary, and others to "poach" drivers and pay a higher salary.

In the last few years it's been shaken up a bit, but there's still the same people constantly recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.