• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER "sale" on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
LNER are currently heavily, pushing to me on Facebook, and possibly elsewhere, a 40% discount on tickets:
Screenshot_20200305_212741.jpg

Unfortunately, quite a lot of people have commented on the public post, tagging others or complaining that the discount doesn't work. I can't get the discount from clicking through. This is not the first one of these adverts I've seen.

According to some exchanges it's actually a targeted promotion:

"I signed up today to LNER then seen this but I've not got 40% cheaper fares as there the same price on EMR Website"

"Did you receive this discount yourself or were you directed there by someone? ^SH"

"Saw it on this post"

"Unfortunately this is not then meant for you. It has to be sent to you directly. ^SH"

Oops!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe it's just me but isn't this what email is for? Targeted promotions?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Maybe it's just me but isn't this what email is for? Targeted promotions?
In these days of social media there seem to be lots of ways of targeting your customers. Email is increasingly seen as a bit ‘old hat’.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In these days of social media there seem to be lots of ways of targeting your customers. Email is increasingly seen as a bit ‘old hat’.

True but it helps to avoid people who aren't being targeted still getting their hopes up!

Haywain

Veteran Member
True but it helps to avoid people who aren't being targeted still getting their hopes up!
Whilst losing the wider free advertising benefit. Some people complain about not getting the discount, some maybe just buy tickets without the discount.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Sounds like it's another fail from adverting from the data harvester known as Farcebook
It's only a fail if none of the intended re ipients booked tickets. For example, Starmill hasn't said he won't be using the discount.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's only a fail if none of the intended re ipients booked tickets. For example, Starmill hasn't said he won't be using the discount.

From what I understand from the opening post, Starmill wasn't entitled to the discount, but got shown the advert regardless

The_Train

Established Member
The fact that the starting tag line reads "We've missed you!" would suggest it's just an advertising ploy that is targeting people who've not purchased from LNER direct for a period of time. It's a common trait in sales to spend some time reviewing those people/companies who you've heard nothing from for 3-6 months and specifically targeting them with an offer to tempt them back

AlexNL

Established Member
Last year I bought a couple of tickets from LNER. Since then, they've been bombarding me with e-mails with special 'just for you' offers offering up to 40% off. Their e-mails have always stated that these are exclusive discounts, available only on the LNER website and requiring me to use the same e-mail address that I received the e-mail on.

I wonder how the Facebook ad is targeted...

56 1/2

Last year I bought a couple of tickets from LNER. Since then, they've been bombarding me with e-mails with special 'just for you' offers offering up to 40% off. Their e-mails have always stated that these are exclusive discounts, available only on the LNER website and requiring me to use the same e-mail address that I received the e-mail on.

If the emails are a bother either use the "unsubscribe" or send a cease and desist email, you must record whatever you do, if after a reasonable time they send you one more it is unsolicited marketing email (aka vile pink pig meat or SPAM) and you may invoke PEC 2003 [22] and [30] and invoice for your costs, time and trouble receiving the message. Although there is no precedent courts have awarded reasonable figures

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/contents/made

https://marketinglaw.osborneclarke....opt-in-and-ico-guidance-but-questions-remain/

AlexNL

Established Member
Oh don't worry, it's not a bother. Their emails quite often trigger my travel bug so I'm not complaining at all :D

Birmingham

The fact that the starting tag line reads "We've missed you!" would suggest it's just an advertising ploy that is targeting people who've not purchased from LNER direct for a period of time. It's a common trait in sales to spend some time reviewing those people/companies who you've heard nothing from for 3-6 months and specifically targeting them with an offer to tempt them back
Would it therefore make sense for a frugal passenger to register with all TOCs just to be in a list to receive these offers occasionally? Or would the offers generally only be valid for travel with that TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.