• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Train Manager video interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buiadh

Hi, I've got a video interview with LNER for a train manager role, I think it's one where you record answers to preset questions and submit them.

Has anyone had one recently that can offer any tips?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GalaxyDog

Make sure you're dressed decently. Also if you ever email any correspondence with their recruitment team, use an email account that requests read receipts and tracks emails. They're highly incompetent at receiving/acknowledging emails and like to lose them, which can cost you your chance if you don't chase them quickly enough (bad experience August 2022).

Buiadh

Thanks and I'll be sure to watch out regarding emails.

Do you happen to know what kind of thing is asked at the video interview stage? I gather there's not many questions, is it competency based or just "why do you want this role/what do you know about LNER"?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I can’t speak for LNER but Avanti West Coast use a video interview system called Launchpad that sounds very similar to what you have described. It seems to be an external IT programme purchased by Avanti that has an American woman doing the introduction and taking you through the process. You tend to get a practice question that you can re-record.

You then move on to three competency based questions when you get a 15 second countdown to think of your answer, before being allowed up to two minutes to provide a decent enough answer. Unlike the practice question, you can’t go back to re-record your answer if you ‘fluff’ it.

Treat the video interview as a traditional interview - wear something smart (even though you are not leaving the house), find a suitable room and make sure there are no distractions like children/pets. I would also urge you to do the interview during the daytime when there is plenty of natural light.

I’ve done a couple of these video interviews myself and it is not an experience I enjoy as I would much rather interact in a ‘face-to-face’ scenario. I simply struggle to talk to myself in front of a recorded camera. Like I said, the LNER version may differ from the Avanti one, so please just bear this in mind.

Good luck anyway.

CJ

There are 5 questions, none of them are particularly taxing if you have experience in a customer service role. You can re-record your answer for each question once. You have some time to consider your answer before having to say it.

Buiadh

I did the questions today. As above, not particularly challenging and you get two attempts at an answer so you can always use the first one to brainstorm an answer if there isn't one immediately to mind.

All fairly smooth. Fingers crossed, I'm sure they get a lot of applicants.

I did the questions today. As above, not particularly challenging and you get two attempts at an answer so you can always use the first one to brainstorm an answer if there isn't one immediately to mind.

All fairly smooth. Fingers crossed, I'm sure they get a lot of applicants.
How long are you given to think about your first response?

Buiadh

I think it was 20 seconds prep and you get 3 minutes for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.