• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER train seen without a loco or DVT at the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDeltic

I have just passed 1420 NCL - KGX at York, didn't see what was on the front (presume Class 91) but there was nothing at the rear,no DVT. Never seen this before, is it unusual?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Must be a DVT issue. 91128 is running blunt end first at the DVT end, nothing at the rear.

gsnedders

Established Member
Must be a DVT issue. 91128 is running blunt end first at the DVT end, nothing at the rear.
If it's a train from NCL, I'm surprised they didn't turn it? Though I guess that would be confusing for everyone finding seats, so maybe the speed restriction running blunt-end first is less of an issue than the extended dwell times that would ensue.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
would the 91 not have been on the north end of a southbound East coast train? Therefore the DVT would have been tucked in behind the locomotive?

91 ended up on the South end, with the DVT 'boxed in' behind the 91.

Keeping it the right way round was the correct decision:

The train still runs, throughout.
It remains the correct way round, which means if there's any vehicle swaps needed at Bounds Green to enable repairs, it'll be the correct way round to do that.
There's no disruption on boarding, as the coaches are where people will expect the on the platform during station calls.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Out of curiosity, how many minutes would a class 91 running blunt end first lose on a run like this?

bcarmicle

I'm a bit confused, can I check if I have the consist correct?

Normally, an IC225 would look like this, where F and B on the 91/DVT stand for Front and Back.

Code:
 +------------------------------------------------------+
 | F 91 B | B | C | D | E | F | H | K | L | M | B DVT F |

In this case, is this train running as follows?
Code:
 | B | C | D | E | F | H | K | L | M | B DVT F | F 91 B |

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm a bit confused, can I check if I have the consist correct?

Normally, an IC225 would look like this, where F and B on the 91/DVT stand for Front and Back.

Code:
 | F 91 B | B | C | D | E | F | H | K | L | M | B DVT F |

In this case, is this train running as follows?
Code:
 | B | C | D | E | F | H | K | L | M | B DVT F | F 91 B |

Yes that is correct - the 91 has simply run round its stock. Nothing new - I have pics of similar workings from the early 1990s!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y74251/2018/11/18/advanced is the train, arrived 14L (it was 17L at Hitchin, though), though also appears to have been held up just outside York.
That’s interesting, thanks for that.
It’s literally just a few seconds every few miles isn’t it? Not bad for it travelling 15mph slower.
I wonder from those in the know, would a driver have to be particularly on his game to not lose too much time running blunt end? Or would it always come out pretty much like this?

_toommm_

Established Member
So what happens at KGX when the loco and DVT are boxed in and the end leading out of KGX has no way of being controlled.

110MPH max blunt end first.

Time loss will depend on which service it's on, and the run it gets en-route once it's lost it's path.

On this occasion, the set was T'birded out from Kings Cross.

chubs

Are the rear cabs on 91's and 90's maintained and upgraded at the same time as the main ones are done?

66Yorks

I'm guessing the cabs at the 'blunt end' are practically brand new! I don't think I ever seen a 91 operate this way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.