• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Jammin

I was at york the 5th october, was that you? Just the 2 of us got through the morning. No not yet, I feel bad for keep emailing recruitment but they haven't been too informative of the next steps. Has yours come?
Yes, that was me. I havent heard anything whatsoever since my medical, despite emails and trying to ring them. Also want to finish for xmas. The nurse implied you would hear within two days regarding the next step but thats clearly not the case for whatever reason.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davyhoogy

Yes, that was me. I havent heard anything whatsoever since my medical, despite emails and trying to ring them. Also want to finish for xmas. The nurse implied you would hear within two days regarding the next step but thats clearly not the case for whatever reason.
Yeah thats what he said to me, well he said the results take 2 days. I emailed 6 days after and got a response straight away (monday). I didnt have gcse certificates but had the results from the actual school so she was finding out if that was OK or if I needed replacements from AQA. But how long do you just wait... going to email Tuesday and ask about my contract.

Did you get your contract in the post or email.

RichA203

Well, I'm back in for a second attempt at Newcastle, haha! Online tests done this evening, and now a case of waiting. Also practising the interview stuff because I know I was rubbish last time. Good luck to those starting in January - who knows if our paths will cross in the future.

Ben Jammin

Yeah thats what he said to me, well he said the results take 2 days. I emailed 6 days after and got a response straight away (monday). I didnt have gcse certificates but had the results from the actual school so she was finding out if that was OK or if I needed replacements from AQA. But how long do you just wait... going to email Tuesday and ask about my contract.

Did you get your contract in the post or email.
Thats the same as me! Ive had one certificate back from AQA and the other one still hasn't arrived but I've had an email from the exam board confirming my result. I sent all that through this week but heard nothing.
At least you've had some sort of response.
I'm told contracts come on email.

Submariner

Hi all
This is my first post, just joined, applied for the apprentice driver job and I’m going to attempt the 15 questions any advice before I start ?

Submariner

Read the questions carefully.
Will do

Read the questions carefully.
I’m getting the impression the Q&A are somewhat difficult would you suggest it’s all about customer care and safety or getting the train from A to B on time ??

I’m getting the impression the Q&A are somewhat difficult would you suggest it’s all about customer care and safety or getting the train from A to B on time ??

Last edited:

3436mill

Hey guys and girls, does anyone know how many online assessments there are as I have completed the 3. I had emails after the first 2 saying I had progressed but not after the 3rd.
Thanks

Rocco 698

Hi Rocco,

I just done mine for the Newcastle one too and for that Q I answered 2 most likely and 1 least. The reasoning (for me) was the strict policies and financial penalties for late trains that a TOC would not want. I would assume also a knock on effect down the line if you are late in and out of busy stations, maybe delaying other trains too? Not sure but that's my reasoning and it's all about safety first and we have to remember no company wants heavy fines and penalties imposed on them.
Many thanks StuM. When I re-read my question then looked at your rationale then penny dropped! But some of them were really tough. I take it you passed? If so, very well done and good luck in progressing through the next stages! :D

MRIGuy

Hey guys and girls, does anyone know how many online assessments there are as I have completed the 3. I had emails after the first 2 saying I had progressed but not after the 3rd.
Thanks
There are only 3 assessments. I am unaware of any automated response upon submission of the 3rd assessment.

Sazz84

Hi, new here so plan on reading through the forum.

Is there anywhere to practice the scenarios that your asked to do please?

Applied for 2 trainee positions now. Yet to here back from Northern rail which is still pending but just failed the LNER online application at the judgement scenarios stage.

Also failed these recently on another application (not train related) so keen to know where I am going wrong.

Currently a driving instructor so have a pretty good understanding and knowledge of scenarios and judgements.

Many thanks

DMCtoon

Hi, new here so plan on reading through the forum.

Is there anywhere to practice the scenarios that your asked to do please?

Applied for 2 trainee positions now. Yet to here back from Northern rail which is still pending but just failed the LNER online application at the judgement scenarios stage.

Also failed these recently on another application (not train related) so keen to know where I am going wrong.

Currently a driving instructor so have a pretty good understanding and knowledge of scenarios and judgements.

Many thanks
Hi,

You mentioned that you just failed the LNER application at the judgement scenarios stage. I completed each of the three assessments last night. At what point did you find out you failed, and how far in were you? As in, did you do all three tests, or did you learn of the failure earlier?

Best wishes.

Davyhoogy

Thats the same as me! Ive had one certificate back from AQA and the other one still hasn't arrived but I've had an email from the exam board confirming my result. I sent all that through this week but heard nothing.
At least you've had some sort of response.
I'm told contracts come on email.
Had anything back yet? I'm so impatient haha but think im going to email tomorrow lunchtime as I need to put my notice in on Friday but still don't have a contract.

James_Cairns

Hi all,

I've been through the online assessments and the 3rd is complete but haven't heard anything back.

I know this thread is huge and probably already been mentioned but I was wondering what the sort of time scale it is to hear whether I progress or I'm unsuccessful.

TIA

Emilali

Hi all,

I've been through the online assessments and the 3rd is complete but haven't heard anything back.

I know this thread is huge and probably already been mentioned but I was wondering what the sort of time scale it is to hear whether I progress or I'm unsuccessful.

TIA
How long is a bit of string?

Ben Jammin

Had anything back yet? I'm so impatient haha but think im going to email tomorrow lunchtime as I need to put my notice in on Friday but still don't have a contract.
Hi mate, i had an email back in relation to my submission of certificates, which someone said they had forwarded.
No contract but am glad to have at least been acknowledged.
Got a couple of weeks before i HAVE to give notice but wanted to give as much warning as possible really, but not without a contact.

Sklee

Hi mate, i had an email back in relation to my submission of certificates, which someone said they had forwarded.
No contract but am glad to have at least been acknowledged.
Got a couple of weeks before i HAVE to give notice but wanted to give as much warning as possible really, but not without a contact.
Spoke to someone from HR yesterday, they said contracts should be ready next week, they will come on email. I emailed and asked about my medical and was told all was ok and offered the start date of Jan 18th. I would still ideally like a contract before I hand my notice in, fingers crossed it’s early next week as time is really getting away now.

ST

Spoke to someone from HR yesterday, they said contracts should be ready next week, they will come on email. I emailed and asked about my medical and was told all was ok and offered the start date of Jan 18th. I would still ideally like a contract before I hand my notice in, fingers crossed it’s early next week as time is really getting away now.
Congrats. I would suggest you wait for your contract to arrive before you hand your notice in. The contract is all signed electronically (I did it on my phone) and you then click a button to submit.

GeordieO

Hi, to anyone on here who has done a video interview for LNER, what is it that they are looking for on the video, do you have any tips? I ask as I have been invited to record a video for the Apprentice Driver vacancy in Newcastle.

Is it more of a casual chat with examples of your skills and qualities, or would a more detailed answering of the job description and suitability be what they look for?

Also as a guide, does anybody know roughly how many vacancies there would be in 1 intake of apprentices?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

RichA203

Hi all,

TIA
Well I had an email yesterday saying I had been unsuccessful, and I've seen others saying just this morning that they have had contact about the next stage. I'm guessing therefore everyone will hear very soon. Good luck.

Letitbeme

Really sorry to hear that RichA203. Chin up, it's all experience.

Please any guide as to what to expect in the interview video would be great.

CreamNCookies

It's odd, the first time I applied for this, there was no Video Interview at this stage. Just a phone one. Maybe the phone interview has been taken out of the process?

RichA203

Really sorry to hear that RichA203. Chin up, it's all experience.

Please any guide as to what to expect in the interview video would be great.
Cheers. It was a shot in the dark really, as I have another job offer anyway. Just waiting on DBS to clear before I get a start date, so it's all good

lucy1986

hi everyone. I also received an email progressing me to the video interview stage, my thinking is that this has replaced telephone interview stage? What was asked during the telephone interview, so that I can tailor my prep or has anyone sat the video interview and has some tips? thank you!

95Stock

Hi all.
Is anyone else being completely blanked by LNER?
No contact since passing my phone interview and sending off my certificates.
A random ‘we haven’t forgotten about you’ email but no reply at all to emails asking for an update...

Davyhoogy

Hi all.
Is anyone else being completely blanked by LNER?
No contact since passing my phone interview and sending off my certificates.
A random ‘we haven’t forgotten about you’ email but no reply at all to emails asking for an update...
Be patient. Youre probably pestering them. They get alot of applicants. I had forgot I had applied by the time I had progressed to the next stage on one occasion.

As for people asking what is asked in the interview, read through this thread here is plenty of advice.
I passed the stages on my own research and preparation so I'm not going to tell you what questions I was asked so you get an unfair advantage.

StuM

Many thanks StuM. When I re-read my question then looked at your rationale then penny dropped! But some of them were really tough. I take it you passed? If so, very well done and good luck in progressing through the next stages! :D
Thanks Rocco, yeah I got through and have just had an email this morning saying I have 3 days to record a video interview. Not sure how this one will work as it doesn't appear to be a face to face one so it will certainly be interesting to complete. I suppose in the current climate this is how it's done but I was expecting the telephone interview...

Good luck if and when you apply again.

Status
Not open for further replies.