• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclist

Just done the three online assessments. Felt like I did worst on the last one and fine on the other two. The waiting begins!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James_Cairns

Well I had an email yesterday saying I had been unsuccessful, and I've seen others saying just this morning that they have had contact about the next stage. I'm guessing therefore everyone will hear very soon. Good luck.
Thanks Rich,

I've heard back now need to record a video interview within 3 days.

See what it's all about now I guess... Unlucky mate just keep going with it

lucy1986

Be patient. Youre probably pestering them. They get alot of applicants. I had forgot I had applied by the time I had progressed to the next stage on one occasion.

As for people asking what is asked in the interview, read through this thread here is plenty of advice.
I passed the stages on my own research and preparation so I'm not going to tell you what questions I was asked so you get an unfair advantage.
Thank you for that, I wasnt expecting an unfair advantage - this thread is really useful and I am thankful for the resource as the process has been a little vague - good to know that I am not alone in this journey, and that is why I felt comfortable to ask for help.

Just done the three online assessments. Felt like I did worst on the last one and fine on the other two. The waiting begins!
I was the same. I got an instant reply for 1st test, then the morning after for the 2nd and then 2 days later for the 3rd - was painful. I reckon there has to be a human element to sifting through applications too, due to this. I felt the worst about the 3rd too so you're not alone there! fingers crossed for you!

Last edited:

Oldnewbie

4 apparently
I applied for KGX but not heard anything since passing my telephone interview.
No reply from LNER recruitment and no phone number to call.
Hi mate, I'm in exactly boat as you re King's X. We're you able to provide exam certificates? I've lost my originals (from the late 80s!) and because of Covid you can't apply for replacements! Contacted LNER several times but no reply. I'm thinking that because I can't prove I've passed English & Maths they're not progressing my application.

Davyhoogy

I read through this thread and searched a few other threads. How2become is also quite a useful tool to get an idea of things they may ask/qualities they may look for.

95Stock

Hi mate, I'm in exactly boat as you re King's X. We're you able to provide exam certificates? I've lost my originals (from the late 80s!) and because of Covid you can't apply for replacements! Contacted LNER several times but no reply. I'm thinking that because I can't prove I've passed English & Maths they're not progressing my application.
Hey
Yeah I provided all certificates and I’ve passed the psychometrics so I’m unsure as to what is going on.

I would have assumed they would have gotten back to you to inform you of the next step.

I appreciate they are busy but we aren’t talking 6 days, or 6 weeks; but 6 months.

Ben Jammin

I applied for my certificates about six weeks ago, from 1988. One board provided it back within 4 weeks, and one took just under 6 weeks. They are mostly working from home so they are delayed but they can provide them.
When I explained I had not got mine, even though i could lay my hands on the results slips, I was told they need the certificates or could alternatively arrange a functional skills test with the apprenticeship team.
I didnt fancy my chances after all these years so went for the option of getting the certificates.
First time I have ever been asked for them since i left school!!!

BoeingBird

I'm still here waiting for KGX, heard nothing since the 'we haven't forgotten you' email back in August. Never got a response when I sent my certificates off in May. I sent an email back in October, just to see if there was an update but didn't get a reply. Starting to think the 4 lucky ones for KGX on the current course were all they needed. Application status on the LNER careers site still states 'submitted', no idea what's going on but still quietly hopeful

Loco94

Yep same here sent off certs in may, not forgotten email in august, emailed a couple times but nothing back.. still awaiting DMI and Psychometrics

Davyhoogy

Haven't heard anything from lner, think ill be putting my notice in anyway. This job drives me mad, ill get a delivery job if I need to wait until March haha

Ben Jammin

Haven't heard anything from lner, think ill be putting my notice in anyway. This job drives me mad, ill get a delivery job if I need to wait until March haha
Good luck pal, hopefully if the thread is correct we should get something next week and the waiting will be over. Do work know it's coming?

Cyclist

If I click on "start video interview", have I kind of started a timer and have to do it then and there? Or can I do it at any point within the 3 days?

Gigmole

If I click on "start video interview", have I kind of started a timer and have to do it then and there? Or can I do it at any point within the 3 days?
This seems to be new. None of us who applied in Feb / March had to do this. We all had a telephone interview with an agency after the first automated psychometrics tests.

CreamNCookies

Hey all,

Be careful on the interview, when re-watching your first attempt if you do not click for a second attempt it will submit your first one without warning.

With that being said, you can come out the interview and go back. to complete remaining questions.

MRIGuy

Hey all,

Be careful on the interview, when re-watching your first attempt if you do not click for a second attempt it will submit your first one without warning.

With that being said, you can come out the interview and go back. to complete remaining questions.
How long did the exercise take if you don't mind me asking?

GeordieO

I have just completed the interview, vastly different to a phone or face to face online one. Practice is important, but each to their own

Last edited:

lucy1986

Hey all,

thank you for this. is there anything else that we should be mindful of?

Suthy57

Hey all,

Hey - so does it give you a break in recording between each the questions to compose your thoughts? Or is it a case of the camera is running and you have to answer one question after another?

Thanks in advance! Hope you did well!

GeordieO

Hey - so does it give you a break in recording between each the questions to compose your thoughts? Or is it a case of the camera is running and you have to answer one question after another?

Thanks in advance! Hope you did well!
Yes you get some breathing time in between, it only starts recording when you say you are ready to answer the next question. Good luck!

StuM

Done my video interview this morning. Done my best and happy with 4 of the 6 questions. The other 2 I think I done ok on, it just all depends what the person marking thinks.

Good luck to all who have it to come, or who have completed it. It's certainly a different process and if I'm honest, I'd much prefer a telephone interview but this is life atm.

Suthy57

Yes you get some breathing time in between, it only starts recording when you say you are ready to answer the next question. Good luck!
Great! thanks for clarifying! I was panicking thinking it's a lot of time to be in essence talking to yourself

Comfy

Wouldn't recommend using a phone. Website timed out while I was waiting for an answer to upload. For some reason was taking an age to upload each answer.

Last edited:

MRIGuy

The video interview is a very strange experience, hopefully one I will not have to repeat again.

good luck to anyone who has been fortunate enough to reach this step

18nufc98

Good Luck to everyone doing the video interview. I got to the Phone interview stage last time so was sort of gearing/planning towards that again this time round. Since we've found out its a blank video cam interview its sort of knocked me for 6 haha. I have done nothing that even comes close to this kind of thing. Plan is to do it tomorrow morning. I am presuming you dont find out the question until you are ready to be recorded?

Well done to everyone who has got this far. Is it possible to complete on an iPad. My laptop is currently not in the best of health...

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.