• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreamNCookies

So does this video thing tell you the question and then it gives you time to prepare an answer or does it just jump straight in?
You see the question, then get 30 seconds to prepare. You have an attempt and you can either submit that first attempt as an answer or do a second attempt.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cyclist

Messed up and got timed out when trying to submit question 1 so presumably, that's me out. I still went ahead and answered the other questions because it's a good learning experience and I told them I did have question 1 recorded in case they want it. Knowing the railway though, they get thousands of applications so presumably will use my mess up as another way to filter it down to fewer applicants.

Comfy

Messed up and got timed out when trying to submit question 1 so presumably, that's me out. I still went ahead and answered the other questions because it's a good learning experience and I told them I did have question 1 recorded in case they want it. Knowing the railway though, they get thousands of applications so presumably will use my mess up as another way to filter it down to fewer applicants.
Was it taking ages to upload your answers? It seemed to take a good 15 minutes upload time per answer for me.

18nufc98

Just completed the interview, not going to lie pleased that its over. talking into a webcam and seeing myself on screen is my version of a nightmare haha. The questions were pretty standard I thought. I felt like I waffled a bit on some but gave it a good shot. The 2nd question i answered for some reason did not send to them which is frustrating when it was probably my best response. I've emailed them but that probably wont make a difference. suppose I can put it down to gaining some experience. good luck to everybody again !

NCL2527

Also just completed the interview, strange experience doing it like that but a learning curve none the less. It’s not as bad as it sounds though. Good luck to everyone still to do it.

Coopes1710

Having a chance to record your answers again seems like it would work in your favour. When you are doing a live video interview you don’t get a 2nd chance to re word your answer.
I am still waiting to hear after my live interview

Cyclist

Just completed the interview, not going to lie pleased that its over. talking into a webcam and seeing myself on screen is my version of a nightmare haha. The questions were pretty standard I thought. I felt like I waffled a bit on some but gave it a good shot. The 2nd question i answered for some reason did not send to them which is frustrating when it was probably my best response. I've emailed them but that probably wont make a difference. suppose I can put it down to gaining some experience. good luck to everybody again !
sounds like we're in a similar situation with not submitting questions properly. Out of interest which email did you send it to? I sent it to [email protected]

Was it taking ages to upload your answers? It seemed to take a good 15 minutes upload time per answer for me.
Took about 2 minutes because my internet was relatively fast but the problem was on Question 1 I didn't even get to upload anything! :(

FlashBashly

Just completed the video interview. Strange experience to say the least. I was very aware of 'dead air' whilst I collected my thoughts, and nobody there to prompt you. Also one example i gave fitted perfectly for the following question so had to quickly think of a suitable alternative. Most answers were 2.5 minutes. Uploaded in about a minute.

Not expecting to get beyond this mind as I have no experience on the railways!

Bc1997

I just completed my video interview, one question failed to upload and it said I had attempted the question too many times. I’d only videoed one answer, is there a contact address I could use to get in touch? Or is the people resourcing team the best? Cheers!

Comfy

I just completed my video interview, one question failed to upload and it said I had attempted the question too many times. I’d only videoed one answer, is there a contact address I could use to get in touch? Or is the people resourcing team the best? Cheers!
I replied to the emails I got from lner but have had no reply. Seems a lot of people have had issues.
You are meant to get 10 minutes to answer the question but its crazy if that is including upload time after its been submitted.

Bc1997

I replied to the emails I got from lner but have had no reply. Seems a lot of people have had issues.
You are meant to get 10 minutes to answer the question but its crazy if that is including upload time after its been submitted.
I got this screen telling me I had ran out of attempts so not sure if mine is a time thing or not! Ah well, if I find an email address I’ll let you know

Sklee

Just completed the video interview. Strange experience to say the least. I was very aware of 'dead air' whilst I collected my thoughts, and nobody there to prompt you. Also one example i gave fitted perfectly for the following question so had to quickly think of a suitable alternative. Most answers were 2.5 minutes. Uploaded in about a minute.

Not expecting to get beyond this mind as I have no experience on the railways!
You never know! I applied in March this year and have just been offered a place on the Jan 18th course. I have no experience in the rail industry.....I’m about to leave a position in the nhs! Good luck

DMCtoon

Did the video recording questions today. Didn't think any of the questions were too challenging, but time will tell. Like many, I've no previous railway experience.

Not too sure how many vacancies are available. I know an LNER driver (very close relation) who thinks a fair few Newcastle drivers are due for retirement, so at least it sounds like there will be more than one position available. Best of luck everybody.

Last edited:

GeordieO

Good luck to everybody! It seems LNER are fairly speedy with recruitment based on the video interviews only a few days after the closing date for the Apprentice driver position.

Does anyone have information about when we should expect to hear back after these interviews? How long was it for previous phone interview stages earlier in the year?

18nufc98

Seems a few had problems with answers being sent etc. 5 of the 6 answers sent back no problems but for some reason the 2nd answer had a brain fart. I emailed the recruitment email adress about my issues. Not holding much luck as will likely use that as a reason to cut numbers but never know if a lot of people had issues. Whole process seems a lot quicker this time so we might find out sooner than we think?

5hunter

Completed my video yesterday. From what I hear from colleagues in the rail industry, the amount of applicants was in the tens of thousands. Well done to anyone who's got this far.

I'm happy if my application went no further as for me its still an achievement. I work in the rail industry already so it's a step up from the role I currently do.

Best of luck everyone especially the applicants who are changing careers. Very brave, I've a lot of respect for that!

18nufc98

Just received an email back from the resourcing team with a link to answer another question for the 1 that failed to send yesterday. Surprised I got a response. I’m at work this morning so will get it done this afternoon.

also 10s of thousands just for the Newcastle base ? Was expecting a lot but not that many...

train-safe

Just received an email back from the resourcing team with a link to answer another question for the 1 that failed to send yesterday. Surprised I got a response. I’m at work this morning so will get it done this afternoon.

also 10s of thousands just for the Newcastle base ? Was expecting a lot but not that many...
One of the most sought after jobs in the region, I think its fair to 10s of thousands is accurate

ST

For people outside of the Rail Industry, don't let this ever hold you back. I work outside the Rail Industry and applied to LNER for the first time earlier this year and start in January. The best of luck to anyone who has applied or waiting to hear back.

18nufc98

I think we all could have had the same questions, After my issue yesterday with my answer for number 2 not sending I received an email asking me to answer no5 again that they had resent on a new email. I've just completed it and am pretty certain that it was the same question number 5 that I had already answered yesterday with no issues. I've emailed back to tell them about this and that I've answered it again anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.