• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy1986

For people outside of the Rail Industry, don't let this ever hold you back. I work outside the Rail Industry and applied to LNER for the first time earlier this year and start in January. The best of luck to anyone who has applied or waiting to hear back.
That's great to hear! I'm coming at this role from a completely different sector, and did worry about that.

Well done to everyone for getting so far!

Hopefully we will hear back soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

I use it as motivation when someone tells me that you have to be internal to get a role on the railway. Albeit i've only ever made it to talent pools, i'm proud to know i've made it this far. Personally this interview method is better than a phone interview. If I pass this interview to the next stage i'll be over the moon!

CreamNCookies

It's all on the job description...

But i'll paste it below.

"
What to expect from the recruitment process?

Step 1.
Application and Online Testing
As soon as you click on the ‘Apply' button you'll be asked to complete the application form which includes some personal details and uploading your CV. The application process will also involve some online tests. These tests are made up of behavioural and concentration tests, so we would advise that you find some time and a quiet space to complete them so that you aren't disturbed. Once you click ‘Start Now' you will need to complete that test to ensure a fair approach for all candidates.

Step 2. Telephone Interview
If successful at stage 1 you'll be invited to join us for a telephone interview. Just as with a face to face interview we recommend that you prepare in advance and find a quiet place to do the telephone interview where you won't be disturbed.

Step 3. Competency Based Interview
If successful at telephone interview, we'll invite you to attend an interview with our Driver Team Managers and a member of our People Resourcing team. Due to the current situation with Covid-19 these interviews are taking place on Microsoft Teams.

Step 4. Psychometric Testing
If successful at interview you'll be invited to attend psychometric testing which is conducted face to face. If you have already completed Driver psychometrics within the last five years, we'll simply check they are to our standard and you will skip this stage. If you have been unsuccessful within the last six months with any TOC, you'll unfortunately be unable to apply on this occasion. We anticipate that there will be further opportunities further down the line though, so watch this space.

Step 5. Medical
As always, there are strict medical standards to adhere to. Head to the RSSB website and look at RIS-3451-TOM to check you meet the standards."

train-safe

I use it as motivation when someone tells me that you have to be internal to get a role on the railway. Albeit i've only ever made it to talent pools, i'm proud to know i've made it this far. Personally this interview method is better than a phone interview. If I pass this interview to the next stage i'll be over the moon!
I see plenty of externals getting in these days, have just as much chance in my opinion

You never know! I applied in March this year and have just been offered a place on the Jan 18th course. I have no experience in the rail industry.....I’m about to leave a position in the nhs! Good luck
Hi, good luck on the course. When did you have your interview? I had mine early October. Anxious to hear back.

Sklee

Hi, good luck on the course. When did you have your interview? I had mine early October. Anxious to hear back.
Thanks, fingers crossed you hear back soon. I had my interview late September then psychometric tests the following week. I think there are possibly a couple of start dates after the Jan one.

Davyhoogy

Does anyone have any more info on the layout of the training? All I know is what it says in the advert, 16 weeks classroom based then out driving training

Sklee

Does anyone have any more info on the layout of the training? All I know is what it says in the advert, 16 weeks classroom based then out driving training
HR said driver training would be in bubbles due to covid, but that’s all I’ve heard so far.

Dre

Hi I have completed my video interview and waiting to know If i have gone through to the next stage. I have recently completed Psychometric testing and MMI with another TOC and was successful. I am aware that if im successful LNER will simply check my scores are to their level and I will skip the testing stage. Has anyone else been in this position before? If so? were they fast tracked or did they have to still wait for each stages has passed? Any help or tips will be good.

ST

If you have already passed Psychometrics it is a quick check and then onto the medical unless you need to re-do any elements.

Gigmole

Does anyone know roughly how long the wait is to hear back after the video interview?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most of us here have been in the process since Feb / March. I've been waiting 6 weeks for a response from my video interview, some have been waiting longer. Others have been waiting since August for their video interview date. I wish everyone luck, but nothing progresses quickly.

train-safe

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most of us here have been in the process since Feb / March. I've been waiting 6 weeks for a response from my video interview, some have been waiting longer. Others have been waiting since August for their video interview date. I wish everyone luck, but nothing progresses quickly.

This is depot dependent though, Id imagine Newcastle will be a little quicker due to needing numbers through the door

cjt1991

Thank you - what a pain! It is what it is though, I am happy to ride it out. I was just interested to see how long others had waited. I presume (hope) that with COVID safety procedures being a little more stable since March that things might speed up a little.
This is depot dependent though, Id imagine Newcastle will be a little quicker due to needing numbers through the door
I've applied for Newcastle, hearing conflicting reports on number of applicants though! Some are saying 22k + others 200 (which seems a little low). I presume the first part is automated but I received an invite for the video interview less than 2 days after the closing date.

I've applied for Newcastle, hearing conflicting reports on number of applicants though! Some are saying 22k + others 200 (which seems a little low). I presume the first part is automated but I received an invite for the video interview less than 2 days after the closing date.

Well to put it into perspective, there were 2,346 applicants for the T&W metro driver vacancy in April 2019 - which was widely advertised in The Chronicle and other outlets. It was however, application by post or in person only. I would say 200 is quite low. What was the source of that figure please ?

Last edited:

cjt1991

Well to put it into perspective, there were 2,346 applicants for the T&W metro driver vacancy in April 2019 - which was widely advertised in The Chronicle and other outlets. It was however, application by post or in person only. I would say 200 is quite low. What was the source of that figure please ?
I'm pretty sure most of the information I've got around this is from this forum - speculation on most parts I am guessing! The LNER Trainee Newcastle role was only open for 2-3 days and I didn't see it advertised anywhere other than LNER's own outlets. I could be wrong!

train-safe

Thank you - what a pain! It is what it is though, I am happy to ride it out. I was just interested to see how long others had waited. I presume (hope) that with COVID safety procedures being a little more stable since March that things might speed up a little.

This is false information, not sure where you have gotten this from. There was thousands of applications for newcastle alone, never mind the rest of the depots. Good luck to everyone.

cjt1991

This is false information, not sure where you have gotten this from. There was thousands of applications for newcastle alone, never mind the rest of the depots. Good luck to everyone.
I never claimed it was true.... just what I've seen posted on these forums. I don't believe any of it - how would WE know?

Choochoo89

Hi all, has anyone progressed from the ‘we haven’t forgotten you’ email for kings cross? Sorry if it’s been asked before

Last edited:

Michael1985

Hey guys, some advice sought re LNER recruitment; For the second time this year I have applied online for the role of trainee driver / apprentice driver and on both occasions I have not progressed beyond the 20 'Situational Judgement' questions.

I'm thinking 'driver responsibilities' and 'customer service' and 'passenger / train safety' when I apply my rationale to the answer options, so offering what I believe to be the "Most likely" and "Least likely" answers...but clearly getting them wrong!

For example, one question was "You are walking along the platform to your train. You have limited time before you need to depart, but an elderly passenger asks for your assistance with their luggage and finding their seat. There are strict policies and financial penalties for late running trains. If you stop to help, it is likely you will leave late, and the customer service staff you can see are at the other end of the platform. How would you respond in this situation?"

The options being:

1. Apologise that you cannot help and suggest they find a member of staff on the train to support them
2. Apologise, but explain you cannot help because you must get the train ready to leave on time
3. Even though it will likely result in the train leaving late, stop and help the passenger on the train
4. Apologise to the customer and direct them to a member of staff at the other end of the platform

I chose 3 as the most likely and 1 as the least likely.

Can I get some thoughts on what you successful guys and girls would answer, and why?

If anyone is willing to enter into private dialogue to discuss the other 19 in order that I can better understand what it is that TOC's are looking for in SJT's I would be most grateful, as I have an application in with another TOC.
I remember this question from when I applied in March.

I chose 1 as the most likely and 3 as the least likely. My reasoning being, once the customer is on board, you have a whole host of staff members who could help them find their seat, and it allows the train to get away on time. I already work as a guard/conductor/train manager for another company, so have a working knowledge of how detrimental lateness of trains can be. That’s not me saying I know everything by the way, just what I’ve learned from my time on the railway.

I did pass the online tests back in March but didn’t make it past the telephone interview unfortunately.

PS I’m not saying I got the above question right either, but that was my logic whilst answering the question.

Davyhoogy

Good luck pal, hopefully if the thread is correct we should get something next week and the waiting will be over. Do work know it's coming?
Got an email today from becky at lner asking for some details, bank acc, passport etc. Says the contracts are being done and confirmed my place on jan 18th course.

Does everyone around the country attend the course at york or are there other training centres?

heedfan

Congratulations. I'm on the same course..what depot are you in for?

Everyone does the same course at York initially.

Ben Jammin

Got an email today from becky at lner asking for some details, bank acc, passport etc. Says the contracts are being done and confirmed my place on jan 18th course.

Does everyone around the country attend the course at york or are there other training centres?
Yes mate, got the same email, still havent handed my notice in. Need that contract!!! Not sure what can take so long. Did you hand yours in last week?

FlashBashly

Ive just had an e-mail from people resourcing saying

Re: your application for Driver Training

And nothing further other than if I need to access my account then to log in?

Very confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.