• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

18nufc98

I've just had the rejection email following the video interview too. Gutted. Has to be said, I've probably applied for a train driver role as an external applicant at least 8 times over the last 7 years. Many more applications on top of that for other roles such as a conductor/train manager. Only once have I managed to get to the psychometric assessment stage. Most of the time, like many, I get nowhere at all.

Don't mean to come across as presumptuous in any way, but I feel like I always put together a decent job application (or as good as is possible for an external applicant with no previous railway experience). It's just so frustrating and upsetting when it's something you desperately want to get into. Has to be one of the toughest industries to even get a foot in the door with. Just makes you feel like giving up on the dream :(
Even tho I’ve only applied twice I feel exactly the same. I’m quite happy in the job I’m in now luckily but would love to get onto the railways especially a driver. With lots of people loosing jobs it will probablys only make it harder to get in. I read on another web page there were a few ex airline pilots swapping over onto the railways. I personally would just love to get to the psychometrics stage.

ST

I've just had the rejection email following the video interview too. Gutted. Has to be said, I've probably applied for a train driver role as an external applicant at least 8 times over the last 7 years. Many more applications on top of that for other roles such as a conductor/train manager. Only once have I managed to get to the psychometric assessment stage. Most of the time, like many, I get nowhere at all.

Don't mean to come across as presumptuous in any way, but I feel like I always put together a decent job application (or as good as is possible for an external applicant with no previous railway experience). It's just so frustrating and upsetting when it's something you desperately want to get into. Has to be one of the toughest industries to even get a foot in the door with. Just makes you feel like giving up on the dream :(

Don't give up....I am an external candidate and start as a Trainee Driver next month. It will happen for you....keep going with it. The best of luck.

First time posting but been in the shadows for a while on here.

Just got my contract through yesterday for a start date in January.
Anyone else on the January course?

Sklee

First time posting but been in the shadows for a while on here.

Just got my contract through yesterday for a start date in January.
Anyone else on the January course?
I am, there are a few more on here starting then too. Looking forward to starting now, see you then.

Davyhoogy

I start January too. Excited! Anyone had joining instructions? I received a travel pass but thats it.

I was ex military primarily, most recently worked in mobility equipment.

Sklee

I’m coming in from the NHS, Therapy Radiographer (Radiotherapy cancer treatment).

I’ve also received my travel pass, hoping for further information soon, but not too worried. Just looking forward to Xmas with the kids, well some kind of Xmas with all the new rules! Merry Christmas folks

Out of curiosity for those whom have been successful, what kind of working experience did you have?
I've just left Northern as a guard there. Thoroughly loved the job, the workplace and colleagues. But couldn't say no to this opportunity.

Starting as a guard gave me a huge insight into the industry and I wish I'd applied years ago.
Would advise anyone to do the same if you're wanting to progress to a driving role to experience the industry first.

Looks like there's a at least a couple more from here who will be there. See you in a few weeks!

CreamNCookies

Has anyone who applied for the apprentice role not heard anything back? Either positive or negative after the video?
Still waiting myself.

But as there are people starting a course in January and its the Christmas break I don't expect to hear anything soon if I'm successful.

Maybe in the new year we'll hear something.

MRIGuy

Has anyone who applied for the apprentice role not heard anything back? Either positive or negative after the video?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here? If you've not heard anything back how do you decide between positive and negative?

CreamNCookies

Congratulations!
Thanks! bud!

Plenty of time to research for the interview next year (wont say when it is incase it identifies me).

Coming from a totally non-related background to the railway, I am over the moon.

CreamNCookies

@James_Cairns I find it's good whilst it's in your memory to take note of what questions you were asked. That way when you get round to this stage again you are a bit more equipped.

For every application i've done for a job I really want I have done that, and its assisted me so far.

How was the DMI, pretty intense?

ST

Interesting to see what come from LNER now regards training moving forwards. It is Key Work after all but we shall see.

Stay safe all.

Sklee

Interesting to see what come from LNER now regards training moving forwards. It is Key Work after all but we shall see.

Stay safe all.
I did email earlier today to ask for any update/ starting instructions. Was told to expect an email this evening / tomorrow morning. I think they were holding off due to announcements. Probably get an email tomorrow.

ST

I did email earlier today to ask for any update/ starting instructions. Was told to expect an email this evening / tomorrow morning. I think they were holding off due to announcements. Probably get an email tomorrow.

Thanks for this.

Joining Instructions received for January via email. All looking good so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.