• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER unreliability caused by staff shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It's probably a result of the RMT overtime and rest day work ban over the Christmas period, possibly coupled with ASLEF's similar ban.

That’s funny! I seem to remember being told upthread that LNER didn’t need to rely on overtime, so that the ban wouldn’t have any effect….

Haywain

Veteran Member
That’s funny! I seem to remember being told upthread that LNER didn’t need to rely on overtime, so that the ban wouldn’t have any effect….
Not by me though. And I am just putting forward a potential reason for this evening's cancellations, although it is difficult to see how the RDW/overtime ban could not have some impact.

Established Member
Not by me though. And I am just putting forward a potential reason for this evening's cancellations, although it is difficult to see how the RDW/overtime ban could not have some impact.
Add in there is the bad cold/flu going around at the moment.

It’s laid me low very bad for 3 days, so add that to the RDW/OT ban then there will be more cancellations than normal.

DanNCL

Established Member
The goodwill between employee and employer was there then, and suppose they imagined that would carry on.
I seem to recall some industrial relations issues at LNER/VTEC in the late part of the last decade but I can't remember which staff or what the issue was about.

Add in there is the bad cold/flu going around at the moment.

It’s laid me low very bad for 3 days, so add that to the RDW/OT ban then there will be more cancellations than normal.
Definitely won't be helping matters. I had it last week, just about everyone I know has got it this week.

Established Member
24 terminate or start short plus cancellations for start of service today.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well there goes the idea that Avanti is uniquely terrible.

This is what the railway will be like for the foreseeable future.

inais20

We’re in the situation now where the only TOC in the North East that can be considered anything remotely resembling reliable is XC.
How are Lumo and Grand Central doing? I’d certainly consider either over LNER at the minute.

Haywain

Veteran Member
How are Lumo and Grand Central doing? I’d certainly consider either over LNER at the minute.
On another thread, Grand Central cancelled a train yesterday morning and did not make any alternative arrangements for ticket holders, simply telling them to get their next train some 7 hours later. Based on that, I wouldn't choose them. The advantage of using LNER is that there are many more services that might be used even with cancellations. With the open access operators a cancellation will lead to a gap of several hours, or carriage on a service of LNER's choosing or an Avanti service in the case of Lumo.

Last edited:
1E13 suffered problems north of Perth this morning and was eventually terminated at Edinburgh (46 min late) due to power supply problems.

Established Member
1E13 suffered problems north of Perth this morning and was eventually terminated at Edinburgh (46 min late) due to power supply problems.
For full context, This was due to a power failure of the signal box and surrounding areas.
At Edinburgh the set formed 1E14 with customers staying on board to continue the journey.

1E14 original set formed 1Z13 Edinburgh to London on the path of 1E13.

For full context, This was due to a power failure of the signal box and surrounding areas.
At Edinburgh the set formed 1E14 with customers staying on board to continue the journey.

1E14 original set formed 1Z13 Edinburgh to London on the path of 1E13.
Thanks for that clarification.

Sleepy

Established Member
Lumo can be worth a punt as not involved in industrial action and less stops so overcrowding more unlikely.

Established Member
Lumo can be worth a punt as not involved in industrial action and less stops so overcrowding more unlikely.
Although yesterday and today their first one from Edinburgh started from Newcastle.

paul1609

Established Member
Although yesterday and today their first one from Edinburgh started from Newcastle.
I really can't understand why anybody wanting to travel the whole route from Edinburgh to London at the moment wouldn't be on either easyJet or Megabus in the current circumstances. (other airlines and coach operators are available)

dk1

Veteran Member
I really can't understand why anybody wanting to travel the whole route from Edinburgh to London at the moment wouldn't be on either easyJet or Megabus in the current circumstances. (other airlines and coach operators are available)

Remember there’s a train every 30 minutes for most of the day everyday between the two capitals. It’s not the end of the world if your train is cancelled or starting/terminating short. Would take something pretty horrendous service wise to make many consider Megabus as an alternative anyway. I can’t ever imagine getting to that point personally.

Seehof

It is the end of the world so to speak if you have no seat reservation on the first train after your cancelled one!

Envy123

My mother went on the 1800 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, as NRE implies that it will stop at Peterborough.

However, the arrival platform is DF, which I assume means Down Fast. Real Time Trains implies that it won't stop until York.

What should I believe?df pbo.png

Established Member
My mother went on the 1800 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service, as NRE implies that it will stop at Peterborough.

However, the arrival platform is DF, which I assume means Down Fast. Real Time Trains implies that it won't stop until York.

What should I believe?
never ever rely on Real Train Times, as RTT will show show the base plan. but I can confirm the 1800 will call
Additionally at Peterborough, Grantham, Retford and Doncaster.

dk1

Veteran Member

What should I believe?

LNER Journey Check shows this service as having SSOs at Peterborough, Grantham, Retford & Doncaster tonight so should be fine.

Adam Williams

Established Member
On another thread, Grand Central cancelled a train yesterday morning and did not make any alternative arrangements for ticket holders, simply telling them to get their next train some 7 hours later
And on the flipside, LNER advised me to suggest a customer take a service 10 hours earlier than they had intended to travel, because no ticket acceptance has been arranged with GC or TPE.

It's just petty and frustrating really, particularly at Christmas, that there's no joined up effort made to enable folks to get home.

On Moderation
And on the flipside, LNER advised me to suggest a customer take a service 10 hours earlier than they had intended to travel, because no ticket acceptance has been arranged with GC or TPE.

It's just petty and frustrating really, particularly at Christmas, that there's no joined up effort made to enable folks to get home.
Do you expect ticket acceptance from British Airways if Ryanair cancels a flight?

Haywain

Veteran Member

Well, I imagine capacity is a problem at LNER with the current cancellations. And I have heard that many staff are getting fed up with having to get the open access operators out of their holes day in, day out - no other TOC has to do that (for OA operators) and it's almost entirely a one way street.

DanNCL

Established Member

What should I believe?View attachment 125553
never ever rely on Real Train Times, as RTT will show show the base plan. but I can confirm the 1800 will call
Additionally at Peterborough, Grantham, Retford and Doncaster.
LNER Journey Check shows this service as having SSOs at Peterborough, Grantham, Retford & Doncaster tonight so should be fine.
Realtimetrains is a useful resource, but extra stops usually won’t appear there when added at the last minute. Platform ‘DF’ will have shown as when the additional stop was entered into the service data they won’t have amended the line to reflect the additional stop - the signaller will have known about the extra stop and manually routed the train into a platform.

To be honest I’m surprised National Rail Enquiries was showing the special stop orders. Usually it’s only journey check that shows them or the TOC’s own communication channels.

If in doubt, ask staff on the train. The guard will know for certain where a train will and won’t stop for passengers.

Envy123

Realtimetrains is a useful resource, but extra stops usually won’t appear there when added at the last minute. Platform ‘DF’ will have shown as when the additional stop was entered into the service data they won’t have amended the line to reflect the additional stop - the signaller will have known about the extra stop and manually routed the train into a platform.

To be honest I’m surprised National Rail Enquiries was showing the special stop orders. Usually it’s only journey check that shows them or the TOC’s own communication channels.

If in doubt, ask staff on the train. The guard will know for certain where a train will and won’t stop for passengers.
Thank you - that explains things very clearly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.