• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNWR Stranded me in London. What should I have done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From this post onwards there is to be no further reference to walking from Eastbourne. Any such posting will be deleted entirely, even if it also contains other information. This is in line with the rule that contributions in this sub forum must be of assistance to the original poster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
In that case not holding a train for 5 minutes max for the connection is very poor work by the Control and station staff.
The purpose of the emergency timetable is to avoid transferring delay from Birmingham to the WCML. Holding the train defeats that purpose.

zwk500

Veteran Member
What people would or wouldn't do isn't terribly helpful to the OP's question though, which is what can he claim from LNWR after the fact.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What people would or wouldn't do isn't terribly helpful to the OP's question though, which is what can he claim from LNWR after the fact.
I think the answer here is to email LNWR and ask for full delay repay, as well as the cost of all the bus fares he had to purchase. And, an explanation for how and why he was stranded to roam the streets/buses of the capital overnight instead of his rights being fulfilled under the NRCoT.

I would not ask for anything specific to compensate for that but rather invite LNWR to "consider making things right by way of additional compensation". This was a disgrace. Then, if dissatisfied, escalate to the Ombudsman, then the consumer press or someone else with a profile who can make a difference.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would not ask for anything specific to compensate for that but rather invite LNWR to "consider making things right by way of additional compensation". This was a disgrace. Then, if dissatisfied, escalate to the Ombudsman, then the consumer press or someone else with a profile who can make a difference.
Whilst the overall treatment of the case could be called a disgrace, we need to bear in mind that LNWR do not appear to have been given the opportunity to deal with the matter on the night in question, and may not yet be aware of the case at all. The only rail staff we are aware of the the OP spoke to were at Victoria and they could have been staff of Southern, Southeastern or even Network Rail.

7ransport

Well, I happen to be in London today. Would it be possible to receive compensation from a station such as Euston in person instead of having to go through the online form?

Falcon1200

Established Member
The purpose of the emergency timetable is to avoid transferring delay from Birmingham to the WCML. Holding the train defeats that purpose.

As per the OP the service that evening was already well and truly wrecked, and also as per the OP, not holding that connection caused major travel issues later on, quite likely for far more people than the OP.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Well, I happen to be in London today. Would it be possible to receive compensation from a station such as Euston in person instead of having to go through the online form?
I think you need to follow the (sensible) advice above - post #72 - put it clearly in writing, send it by e-mail or via their on line form, retain a copy , possibly send it by post too - and if so get a proof of posting / tracked postage even.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok folks. All the stuff that isn’t useful to the OP is now here:

sheff1

Established Member
I agree with this although I would also have attempted to engage with railway staff at the earliest opportunity - which, in this case, was at Northampton.
Ceratinly agree with engagement at the earliest oppportunity.

For the potential benefit of future readers of this thread I will add that in the situation described in the OP I would be looking to engage during the 30 min delay at Rugby which, as well as being an earlier oppportunity, has the potential alternative of Avanti to London.

ChewChewTrain

The suggestions to walk 20 miles around unlit roads and/or along a beach between 1 and 5am when the temperature was below zero really should win some sort of RailUK award for sheer insanity.

The best suggestion for the OP, in retrospect, was to screw the rules, just get on the train getting you closest to your destination, alight at a staffed station, attempt to raise help from the railway and failing that take a taxi and claim it back.

Taking the railway’s advice here led to the OP unacceptably surfing night buses all night like a homeless man. I’m surprised he isn’t angrier about it. I’m a big fan of just going ahead and doing whatever in these scenarios, aware that getting forgiveness is easier than permission. Not everyone feels the same way though or has the same self-confidence, I recognise.
I’ve always been something of a fan of the phrase “Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools”. However well-drafted a set of rules is, there will be a (with any luck) small percentage of situations where they patently don’t make sense, and some of those situations will be potentially life-or-death.

That is not to say for a second that I’m a fan of some of the joke sentences we see these days, or that I or anyone else in particular is a wise man. In fact, if I’m wise then God help those who aren’t.

etr221

Ceratinly agree with engagement at the earliest oppportunity.

For the potential benefit of future readers of this thread I will add that in the situation described in the OP I would be looking to engage during the 30 min delay at Rugby which, as well as being an earlier oppportunity, has the potential alternative of Avanti to London.
When the OP was at Birmingham, how apparent was the chaos? With two successive LNW Euston trains - and many others (when was the train he got cancelled beyond Northampton?) - being cancelled, I would suggest it was, and that - in consequence - for him to have engaged with passenger services there, emphasing that he had to get a long way beyond London, would have been very sensible. And - unless LNW were confident of getting him to London 'in time' (by 2300?), in the circumstances getting him on an Avanti train (though this rather assumes there was one) would have been sensible.

(And as an aside, what I am surprised at is that nobody seems to have suggested is that perhaps the best option - at the time of night the OP got to Euston - for getting to Sussex - Gatwick or Brighton - would be to go to St Pancras (or Blackfriars))

paul1609

Established Member
(And as an aside, what I am surprised at is that nobody seems to have suggested is that perhaps the best option - at the time of night the OP got to Euston - for getting to Sussex - Gatwick or Brighton - would be to go to St Pancras (or Blackfriars))
As long as you get there whilst the Victoria Line is open the OPs probably right to go to Victoria. The frequency and speed of the Victoria Line is such that you would be at Victoria not much later than walking to St Pancras. Even during the daytime St Pancras is only really a consideration if you have a direct train from there to your destination. Once you are heading to somewhere off the Thameslink network 99% of the time you are better off going to Victoria and getting a direct train from there.
This is not apparent in the journey planners because of the minimum connection time between Euston and Victoria. However the reality is if you know where your going the relative frequencies of Victoria-East Croydon Fast Services and the Victoria Line v Thameslink (via London Bridge services) is such that you can generally be at East Croydon for several minutes waiting for the Thameslink train that you'd have caught if you'd have walked to St Pancras. Once your going to a Southern destination off the Thameslink such as hastings and Ore it makes no sense to go to St Pancras.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Well, after almost 5 months, I got paid £27.15 worth of compensation into my bank account :D
Thanks for the update - but given the disruption outlined in your OP - this seems pretty poor to me (esp if you have to subtract an element for the night bus fares you had to pay to ride around them all night in order to keep warm). I'm not sure if there is more you could do about getting more - I suppose it would probably be to raise your case with Passenger Focus (on the basis they are better than the Rail Ombudsman).

hkstudent

Established Member
Well, after almost 5 months, I got paid £27.15 worth of compensation into my bank account :D
Seems thats that’s just 50% refund of the return fare, which you should have got 100% of the total fare paid as it’s over 2 hours delay.
And also, the bus fare to Hasting should also be compensated as they cannot get you to the final destination on the next day

Starmill

Veteran Member
Was this just in respect of compensation for the delay of some 18 hours? Did you ask if they could cover your costs in bus travel as well?

As a minimum you really should have received the full face value of the tickets you were using, in compensation for the delay, and a small amount on top at least equal to the costs of bus travel you paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.