• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LO parallel with GTR staff pass routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

spellbound330

Hi all,

I don't want to sound tongue in cheek with this question, but

LO do run alongside some GTR routes, such as between West Croydon and New Cross. My question is can you use the GTR staff pass on London Overground in these sections, or is it only valid on GTR trains. After all, the train is going to the same place, on the same track so it seems fair that the pass can be used on both services.

Thank you for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

I'msure i'll be corrected if wrong, but unless there is a reciprocal agreement between LorL and GTR you will need to hold a valid travel document to travel on London Overground.

Its kind of like saying Ryanair fly to Dublin, maybe I can use BA instead as its going the same way.

mmh

Established Member
A friend of mine worked for GTR in an office position and lived on a GTR and LO route. He and his husband would only use GTR trains with their staff and spouse passes. This was the best part of a decade ago, but they weren't valid then.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all,

LO do run alongside some GTR routes, such as between West Croydon and New Cross. My question is can you use the GTR staff pass on London Overground in these sections, or is it only valid on GTR trains. After all, the train is going to the same place, on the same track so it seems fair that the pass can be used on both services.

Thank you for any help.

Yes I've seen this first hand on the ELL. A LO revenue officer was a bit miffed by a GTR pass (not mine) but a quick explanation by the holder and their end destination and it was solved. The pass would let you in/out barriers to up to New Cross Gate.

As LO is usually an all stops service, its not saving you any additional time.

ZFE95

Hi all,

Thank you for any help.

No is the short answer.

Although, there is some sort of agreement between TfL and GTR which entitles priv oyster travel. I'd just wait for a Southern if you were travelling up or down that stretch of line.

spellbound330

Thank you all. It seems like a grey area to me. Sometimes engineering work could mean all GTR trains are out of action with the Overground being the only TOC operating especially at weekends on that section, and this could happen vice versa. I suppose I'll just have to use common sense.

RJ

Established Member
Thank you all. It seems like a grey area to me. Sometimes engineering work could mean all GTR trains are out of action with the Overground being the only TOC operating especially at weekends on that section, and this could happen vice versa. I suppose I'll just have to use common sense.

It isn't a grey area - GTR staff passes are not valid on Overground trains.

The only exception is if it is published by an official source like the National Rail website that GTR tickets are accepted on the Overground due to disruption, planned or unplanned.

Last edited:

ninhog

GTR staff passes do work on certain LU routes; Blackfriars to Victoria being one I’ve used many times before.

EMR accept GTR staff passes for travel along the MML if you’re in uniform.

GTR staff passes can even be used on Tramlink in Croydon (although that goes back to an old agreement with FCC).

It’s odd that there’s no reciprocal agreement with LO.

Haywain

Veteran Member
GTR staff passes can even be used on Tramlink in Croydon (although that goes back to an old agreement with FCC).
Nothing special about that because holders of TOC cards and safeguarded staff travel cards get free travel on Tramlink, regardless of who they work for.

ninhog

Nothing special about that because holders of TOC cards and safeguarded staff travel cards get free travel on Tramlink, regardless of who they work for.

Ah, I wasn’t aware of that being a national TOC privilege.

Skoodle

I used to use the fast Southern trains between Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate as an ARL employee, this was when they still had fast stopping services and guards on board (usually Horsham trains). Was never a problem when in uniform was they just walked past, but one day I was off duty and forgot, so when the guard game I showed my staff ID and said I'm getting off at NXG he just said no worries and carried on. If both services stop at stations you're going to and from, it's not an issue. Also as an ARL employee, the Staff Oyster cards work at certain gates on the lower concourse.

RJ

Established Member
GTR staff passes do work on certain LU routes; Blackfriars to Victoria being one I’ve used many times before.

Working the gates doesn't necessarily mean they're valid for the journey you are doing.

As you haven't stipulated that you were doing this during a window when it's permitted, it's worth mentioning that if you do it when it's not permitted, it can create a lot of problems if an inspector picks up on it.

Hardly worth it, especially when GTR staff get Priv rate LU travel.

stevieoz

You cannot use a gtr pass, it won't let you through the barriers. London overground staff have a free oyster card. Similarly london overground staff get no free access to gtr routes. I recently left the overground and used to use gtr and tbey do not allow free use.
So.e dodgy drivers may get away with it up to a point but its risky.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I believe that was a valid diversionary route during the long period that Thameslink services were unable to serve London Bridge. However, that is no longer the case.

ninhog

Working the gates doesn't necessarily mean they're valid for the journey you are doing.

As you haven't stipulated that you were doing this during a window when it's permitted, it's worth mentioning that if you do it when it's not permitted, it can create a lot of problems if an inspector picks up on it.

Hardly worth it, especially when GTR staff get Priv rate LU travel.

I believe that was a valid diversionary route during the long period that Thameslink services were unable to serve London Bridge. However, that is no longer the case.

I’ve not had to travel via that route for some considerable time now and wasn’t aware it was only a temporary arrangement.

You cannot use a gtr pass, it won't let you through the barriers.

It definitely would let me through the barriers previously because I used to have to travel via that route.

As I said, I had no idea it was no longer a valid arrangement but I’ve not had any need to attempt that route for some considerable time.

stevieoz

It definitely would let me through the barriers previously because I used to have to travel via that route.

You won't get through a barrier that only accepts oyster cards or contact less bank cards as it is impossible.

There is no agreement.

You cannot use overground services on a gtr pass. TFL don't allow it and the franchise is arriva who have no agreement with gtr.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It’s odd that there’s no reciprocal agreement with LO.
There is no reciprocal agreement with LO because GTR would not want 60 000 TfL staff + countless bus drivers. travelling for free on their services throughout their network.

ninhog

You won't get through a barrier that only accepts oyster cards or contact less bank cards as it is impossible.

It’s not impossible, because I’ve previously done it. They may not accept the staff pass any more, but the technology is clearly similar enough to work on the their readers.

EDIT: Staff passes work on barriers at train stations, as do Oyster cards. Therefore, they’re capable of working on LU readers.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
It’s not impossible, because I’ve previously done it. They may not accept the staff pass any more, but the technology is clearly similar enough to work on the their readers.

EDIT: Staff passes work on barriers at train stations, as do Oyster cards. Therefore, they’re capable of working on LU readers.
They are capable of working LU readers but the entitlement has to be programmed into the reader a GTR staff pass would be distinct from an LU Staff pass and would be recognised seperately on the barriers as such
The only circumstances where a GTR staff pass would be accepted at a lu gateline at Victoria would be during a period of ticket acceptance.

ninhog

The only circumstances where a GTR staff pass would be accepted at a lu gateline at Victoria would be during a period of ticket acceptance.

And even then, the entitlement wouldn’t be programmed in; gate line staff would have to let us through the manned barrier.

Now I know the previous entitlement no longer exists. Thanks to those of you who clarified that for me.

matt_world2004

Established Member
And even then, the entitlement wouldn’t be programmed in; gate line staff would have to let us through the manned barrier.

Now I know the previous entitlement no longer exists. Thanks to those of you who clarified that for me.
If there was an extended period of ticket acceptance it's possible for the entitlement to have been programmed into the barrier and forgotten about

Status
Not open for further replies.