• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local Connections on a DB "Europa-Spezial" Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
Hi Folks,

This is a slight reprise of a previous thread on RB/RE connections on a DB Online-Ticket, but for me, it looks slightly different to previous experience.

I'm booked on the Berlin-Copenhagen sleeper in a couple of weeks, and as I'm arriving at Schoenefeld the same day, bought the ticket all the way from SXF, as it's the same price, assuming I could use any RB/S-Bahn into central Berlin.

However, although the fare code looks as if it would allow me to do it, I can't see the explicit mention (of being valid for one journey on local transport until 10am the next day) that I would normally see on an Online-Ticket.

The fare code is:

<1080>(13.05.2013)NV*(14.05.2013)B-Hbf 0:32 CNL40456 VIA: Flensburg(Gr)<1186>

It's not the end of the world if I have to buy a ticket from Schoenefeld into Berlin, but it would be nice to know! Any advice welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
It does. IIRC, the route code reads:

<1080> ... <1186> - Germany to Denmark
(13.05.2013)NV* - Any S/RB/RE/IRE train on 13th May (or until 10am on 14th May)
(14.05.2013)B-Hbf 0:32 CNL40456 - Must go on this train, at this time, from Berlin Hauptbahnhof
VIA: Flensburg(Gr) - Ain't going on the Puttgarden-Roedby ferry

But I'm not quite confident enough to be sure this is correct!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I've done something similar from Berlin Friedrichstrasse to Munich, change at Berlin Hbf and I think it had the same route. As you say, the price is the same as from Hbf

stut

Established Member
Yeah, I remember doing the same from Alexanderplatz to Hamburg via Berlin Hbf, so assumed the same would be the case here. What threw me was the lack of "Im NV(S/RB/RE/IRE) auf eingetr. Strecke vor/nach den geb. Zügen am 1.Tag u. Folgetag bis 10 Uhr" that you normally get on these tickets.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I've done something similar from Berlin Friedrichstrasse to Munich, change at Berlin Hbf and I think it had the same route. As you say, the price is the same as from Hbf

Using Nahverkehr services sometimes affects the price of a Sparpreis but often does not. Whereas Sparpreise are (ICE/IC/EC) quota controlled, the price of Normalpreise is determined by the category of the ticket (ICE, IC/EC or Nahverkehr) and number of kilometres.

Veteran Member
Hi Folks,

However, although the fare code looks as if it would allow me to do it, I can't see the explicit mention (of being valid for one journey on local transport until 10am the next day) that I would normally see on an Online-Ticket.

The two ES tickets I have to hand (one online, one posted out) don't have this declaration.

I can think of two possible explanations
(1) 10am next day is irrelevant as there isn't a German NV journey after the last specified FV train.

However, my Lesce-Bled to Hamburg Airport ticket last week didn't have it either, so more likely:

(2) 10am next day is the limit for Sparpreis tickets which have a basic 1-day validity - a Europa Spezial is valid one month, because it is an International ticket.
You can in any case put in a stopover (up to 48hr) on the NV portion of the journey - I've not tested the one-month thing, but I did specify a few hours' stop in Hamburg last week just in case my second sojourn in the 1st class lounge was queried (it wasn't!)

Status
Not open for further replies.