• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Location query - Central Wales Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beejay

I took a photo from a train on its way from Wigan to Llanelli in 1954. The train went through central Wales and to the best of my memory included the stations of Shrewsbury, Church Stretton, Craven Arms, Knighton, Llandrindod Wells, the area perhaps where the photo was taken.
I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest where about I may have taken this photo, I was 12 at the time and had developed an interest in photography which has stayed with me. It may be my imagination but there appears to be a Cupola, fairly high up the hill, to the left of the photo.I realise that many changes may have taken place since 1954 but I would like to thank you in advance, for any suggestions that may be offered. Beejay

Attachments

• Wigan to Wales Train 1952.jpg
    Wigan to Wales Train 1952.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 113
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
This appears to be double track and the line was single from Knighton to Pantyffynnon, except for most stations. The street light suggests that this is one of the larger settlements.

Beejay

Thank you very much indeed Gloster. I only unearthed the photo some 65 years after I took it and your response is very helpful in trying to scratch the itch, much appreciated.

Gloster

Established Member
Can I suggest that you alter the title by adding ‘ - Central Wales Line? ‘ to the end, as this might get more hits. The mods can advise how to do this if need be.

Veteran Member
Just looking at the track, I think we have a goods loop on the far side as it looks in better condition than a siding would be. The concrete sleepers (early design, not CWR I think) make me think of a double track main line, so between Shrewsbury and Craven Arms. Probably not Church Stretton as the Long Mynd would be too prominent.

Do any of our members with knowledge of the North and West have an idea, or am I way out? @Llanigraham @LNW-GW Joint

The Central Wales through trains in 1954 ran to Swansea Victoria - did you change at Pontarddulais for Llanelli? The very substantial detached Edwardian / 1920s house with garage and the street lighting does suggest a larger urban settlement.

D6130

Established Member
Having travelled along the North and West line a couple of times in the last few weeks, I would say that it looks very much like Church Stretton. Granted that the Long Mynd doesn't appear in the background, but it may have been hidden by mist or be out of shot to the right. Were there once goods loops at this location? The track in the foreground has recently been relaid with type F10 concrete sleepers and BJB rail fastenings - which I was under the impression that were first used on the WCML Up Fast between Cheddington and Tring in 1955....but I can't remember where I read it, so am unable to quote a source. I did initially think of Nantwich, looking at the style of houses but, as far as I can recall, the line isn't carried on a high embankment through that town.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Someone called!
That isn't on the portion of your route between Craven Arms and Llanelli.
My guess looking at the architecture and lie of the land that it is at or near Church Stretton. It certainly isn't south of there, because there are no hills or houses like that as close to the railway.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I suggest that you alter the title by adding ‘ - Central Wales Line? ‘ to the end, as this might get more hits. The mods can advise how to do this if need be.

Yep done.

Rockhopper

I've just spent an hour on side by side mapping and I cannot find anywhere in Church Stretton (1945-65 maps) where there is a house close to the line with others just the other side of the road.

D6130

Established Member
I've just spent some time on Mapy.cz (far more detailed and easy to use than Google Maps) and am wondering whether it could be Brook Road at Craven Arms, just North of the Central Wales Line divergence. If the CWL was still double tracked to Knighton at that time, the third track may well have been a goods loop. Nowadays it would be the Central Wales single line running parallel to the main line for a short distance.

Railsigns

Established Member
Going on just the railway clues, it looks more like a four-track section of the West Coast Main Line than somewhere in rural Wales or Shropshire. That's quite a busy pole route too.

Gloster

Established Member
Church Stretton did have a Down Goods Loop on the east side of the line north of the station and signal box.

D6130

Established Member
Going on just the railway clues, it looks more like a four-track section of the West Coast Main Line than somewhere in rural Wales or Shropshire. That's quite a busy pole route too.
Yes, I am beginning to think that too - especially as the WCML would more likely have been the recipient of early concrete-sleepered CWR than the North and West line. Somewhere in the Acton Bridge/Hartford area of leafy Cheshire perhaps?

SteveM70

Established Member
Church Stretton did have a Down Goods Loop on the east side of the line north of the station and signal box.

My hunch is that we’re more likely to be looking for somewhere on the west side of the line. It seems to me far more likely that a twelve year old aspiring photographer would sit facing forwards, perhaps the OP can remember?

Gloster

Established Member
Just realised that in 1954 there was also double-track from Llanbister Road to Llandrindod Wells, except for the short section through Penybont Tunnel.

Beejay

I am overwhelmed and thankful for the responses. Yes, as a 12 year old I would definitely have sat facing forwards. I only travelled between 1948 and 1954 on no more than 4 occasions between Wigan and Llanelli, only once do I remember having to change at Swansea, all the other times it was a journey through the Central Wales line. My abiding memory was sticking my head out of the window as we approached Shrewsbury station, to view the train and a piece of grit in the eye as a result, the Gay Meadow ground with the tale of the coracle used to collect the ball after it was kicked out of the ground during games, into the river Severn, as well as the length of the journey, it seemed to take forever to a youngster.

Status
Not open for further replies.