• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locations in the North East

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadhatter

Hi all,

I'm about to go to Yorkshire next week for expressed purpose of taking some train photographs from locations that I have not previously visited - well not for a very long time anyway!
My plan is to buy a "Freedom of the North East 4 in 8" Rover ticket and was wondering what stations others find as decent locations for photography - especially freight. I intend to travel on the Settle - Carlisle during this time and was also planning on visiting Doncaster, Leeds, York and Newcastle.

Can anyone recommend any other good station locations please.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alistair G.

I like meadowhall, it has a nice long straight towards Sheffield so can take some really nice long range approaching shots as the units climb the hill. Also a chance to spot some Sheffield tram numbers there and also has a busy bus station outside incase they peak your interest too... All with free parking in the shopping centre next door!. I think Donny is a perfect spot for freight!... Enjoy the trip mate!!.

wensley

Established Member
I like meadowhall, it has a nice long straight towards Sheffield so can take some really nice long range approaching shots as the units climb the hill. Also a chance to spot some Sheffield tram numbers there and also has a busy bus station outside incase they peak your interest too... All with free parking in the shopping centre next door!. I think Donny is a perfect spot for freight!... Enjoy the trip mate!!.

Brightside, a 10min walk from Meadowhall with a nice morning view back towards Sheffield with a bit of skyline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60516955@N08/8208650469/in/photolist-dvntNn

(apologies for a slightly dodgy photo!), not the greatest of areas, the shot is from a footbridge, but a very good workman's cafe close by. Eaglescliffe might be a little bit out of the area you're looking at, but is a handy location with a range of shots from the station footbridge and the platform end later in the day.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Knottingley. Plenty of freight, photos possible from station or nearby overbridge.

Worth a brief stop at Darlington for a couple of photos of Class 91, although freight by-passes the platforms.

Settle & Carlisle - can be long gaps between freights, but several stations OK for photographs, Kirkby Stephen, Ribblehead (few minutes walk to take photos of viaduct), Appleby. Be prepared to take your own food to some of the stations.....e.g. Kirkby Stephen station is well over a mile from the town.

Bewteen Newcastle & Carlisle, Haltwhistle, Hexham worth an hour or two if you know some freights are due.

Status
Not open for further replies.