• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco haulage around Hamburg?

peteb

Apart from the Westerland (Sylt) route, does anyone know of regular loco-hauled RE services serving Hamburg, Bremen or Hannover? I'm there in early May and want to use the DB €49 ticket, hence IC or EC are not permitted but I'd still like some loco haulage.

If you have train route numbers I can look everything up in Bhan.de. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

Apart from the Westerland (Sylt) route, does anyone know of regular loco-hauled RE services serving Hamburg, Bremen or Hannover? I'm there in early May and want to use the DB €49 ticket, hence IC or EC are not permitted but I'd still like some loco haulage.

If you have train route numbers I can look everything up in Bhan.de. Thanks.
Most, if not all, trains from Hamburg in the Lübeck direction (inc. Ahrensburg, Bartgeheide) are loco hauled, likewise all Metronom trains from Hamburg Hbf. There's one Metronom train every hour which is diesel hauled, from Hamburg-Harburg (or Hbf, can't remember) to Cuxhaven.

A few locos are still around on the route to Kiel as well I think, as well as some other RE routes (RE1 from memory?) in the Berlin direction (might be to Wittenberge).

I think there is a weekdays only 218 service to somewhere North-east. I think @Richard Scott might have details?

Just to add, https://dbf.finalrewind.org/ has loco numbers for live departures. This is a very useful resource!

Wandering Pom

The last couple of times I've been in the area (September 2022, July 2023), I found the following regional trains were loco-operated:
- RE2/RE3: Hamburg - Uelzen - Hannover - Göttingen (Metronom)
- RE4: Hamburg - Bremen (Metronom)
- RE5: Hamburg - Cuxhaven (Metronom)
- RE7/RE70: Hamburg - Kiel (DB) - but only the hourly trains without a Flensburg portion
- RE8: Hamburg - Lübeck (DB)
- RB86: Lübeck - Travemunde Strand (DB)
- RE8: Bremen - Hannover (DB)

Some of this might have changed since then, but I suspect there's still a lot there.

KatieLouLou

The last couple of times I've been in the area (September 2022, July 2023), I found the following regional trains were loco-operated:
- RE2/RE3: Hamburg - Uelzen - Hannover - Göttingen (Metronom)
- RE4: Hamburg - Bremen (Metronom)
- RE5: Hamburg - Cuxhaven (Metronom)
- RE7/RE70: Hamburg - Kiel (DB) - but only the hourly trains without a Flensburg portion
- RE8: Hamburg - Lübeck (DB)
- RB86: Lübeck - Travemunde Strand (DB)
- RE8: Bremen - Hannover (DB)

Some of this might have changed since then, but I suspect there's still a lot there.
RE1 to Buchen/Schwerin/Rostock also hauled

RE8 (Lubeck) no longer hauled, though RB80 and RB81 which are the local shorts on the same route are.

RE5 is no longer Metronom, though does used the same diesel locos and stock in Metronom colours.

If you play around in Bahn.Expert (and change the settings under "Einstellungen" to toggle on "UIC Nummer") then selecting a train will give you the formation, including loco numbers if hauled (though I think this only works for DB operated ones).

andersj

RB 86 to Travemünde Strand is also not longer hauled, have been replaced by Stadler KISS unites together with RE8 to Lübeck.

Following trains are also loco hauled
RE 20 Uelzen-Salzwedel-Stendal-Magdeburg
RE 1 Hannover-Bremen-Emden-Norddeich
RE 9 Osnabrück-Bremen-Bremerhaven

On Moderation
All electric except:
RE5 Hamburg - Cuxhaven
RE6 Hamburg - Westerland

Both lines are BR 246 - Diesel TRAXX
The Westerland service is BR 245 TRAXX multi-engine locos, to be pedantic.