• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco haulage in Sweden (and some other questions)

ABB125

Established Member
I will be travelling through Sweden at the end of May, starting in Oslo (yes, I know that's Norway) and finishing at Hamburg. My aim is to maximise loco haulage. Would I be correct in thinking that the following routes have haulage?
  • Stockholm-Uppsala (most trains)
  • Stockholm-Borlänge (most trains)
  • Stockholm-Karlstad (some trains)
  • Stockholm-Oslo (2 trains per day, extensions of the above)
  • Stockholm-Duved (all trains)
  • Stockholm-Malmö (all IC trains)
Are there any engineering works going on on Monday 27 May, which mean direct trains between Oslo and Stockholm aren't running? I can't see any looking at various websites for that date.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
All of the above look correct, the only other SJ daytime locomotive haulage I can think of is Kalmar to Göteborg. In addition there are the Snåltaget Stockholm to Malmö and illusive TAGAB Stockholm to Göteborg via Karlstad services which I believe can only be booked through SJ's website.

Regarding the engineering works, its very common in Sweden for tickets to be put on sale at very short notice, with booking engines such as SJ's or MTRX's saying 'not available for purchase' or 'engineering works', only for the train to run to a regular working timetable.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Are there any engineering works going on on Monday 27 May, which mean direct trains between Oslo and Stockholm aren't running? I can't see any looking at various websites for that date.
Thanks

There are no planned works scheduled right now. Of the two direct trains from Oslo S to Stockholm C that day, train 644 (dep. 14.36 arr. 20.22) is a locomotive hauled train. The other is a X55 multiple unit.

Flixtrain from Stockholm to Gothenburg could be on your list, but they suspended service during the winter and haven’t posted a date for resumption of service. I think the cause was excessive damage to rolling stock from snow and ice.

ABB125

Established Member
There are no planned works scheduled right now. Of the two direct trains from Oslo S to Stockholm C that day, train 644 (dep. 14.36 arr. 20.22) is a locomotive hauled train. The other is a X55 multiple unit.
Thanks - that's annoying, as I was hoping to get an earlier train from Oslo.

In terms of reservations when using an Interrail pass, would I be correct in thinking that High speed and Intercity-branded trains are compulsory reservation, but regional ones are not? What is the best method of obtaining Interrail reservations for Sweden?

T101KLD

Thanks - that's annoying, as I was hoping to get an earlier train from Oslo.

In terms of reservations when using an Interrail pass, would I be correct in thinking that High speed and Intercity-branded trains are compulsory reservation, but regional ones are not? What is the best method of obtaining Interrail reservations for Sweden?
Info in Swedish, but here's the how-to for SJ specifically https://www.sj.se/kundservice/fragor-och-svar/4615/hur-bokar-jag-plats-med-interrail-eurail

JonasB

Seat reservations are easy to buy at www.sj.se and for regional trains seat reservations are not compulsory, often they are impossible. Unsure about intercities but for high speed trains they are mandatory.

In addition to the list above you can also add Göteborg-Kalmar and all night trains. For Uppsala-Stockholm it varies a bit over the day, but you can see what kind of train is planned to be used on www.sj.se

ABB125

Established Member

Seat reservations are easy to buy at www.sj.se and for regional trains seat reservations are not compulsory, often they are impossible. Unsure about intercities but for high speed trains they are mandatory.
Thanks both
In addition to the list above you can also add Göteborg-Kalmar and all night trains. For Uppsala-Stockholm it varies a bit over the day, but you can see what kind of train is planned to be used on www.sj.se
I'll see what I can manage to fit in, thanks

Halish Railway

Established Member
They’re mandatory on Intercity trains as well. So much for the X40s having an interior layout designed with short hop journeys in mind.

Sweden is also partially covered by Wagon Web’s train compositions page. https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/?&lang=en

ABB125

Established Member
Another question, this time about reservations.
Interrail reservations appear to be "refundable" as opposed to "non-rebookable", which is good. Apparently this means I can "change departure at no extra cost". Does this mean, then, that I could buy a reservation for the 0616 Stockholm-Malmö, but then change it to the 0521 instead at short notice (around 0500)? Would it be better to buy the reservation for the 0521, then change it to the 0616 if necessary?

JonasB

Refundable simply means that you can get your money back, and buy a new seat reservation if you like. But if you plan to do it on short notice there is always a risk that the train you're looking at is sold out.

ABB125

Established Member
Refundable simply means that you can get your money back, and buy a new seat reservation if you like. But if you plan to do it on short notice there is always a risk that the train you're looking at is sold out.
Thanks - so I could always buy a reservation for both trains, then refund the one I don't use.

Currently my plan is to arrive in Stockholm at 0504 on the sleeper from Duved - is this train often late? How likely would I be to miss the 0521? (The reason for this is because I don't particularly want to spend an hour in Stockholm station that early in the morning!)

JonasB

I don't have any statistics about delays. But normally the train stays a while at the platform after it arrives and you can stay onboard until 07.00.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Currently my plan is to arrive in Stockholm at 0504 on the sleeper from Duved - is this train often late? How likely would I be to miss the 0521? (The reason for this is because I don't particularly want to spend an hour in Stockholm station that early in the morning!)
From my experience and what I've seen online is that when trains run late in Sweden, they can run very late, 75 minutes for me arriving in Umeå from Stockholm.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The southbound SJ night trains from Umeå and Duved meet in Sundsvall, where each is split and reformed into portions for Gothenburg and Stockholm. Same on the northbound journey. Therefore a delay from one portion will affect the others.

However, as @JonasB points out, the southbound SJ train from Duved and Umeå into Stockholm sits on the platform until 07.00. Don’t plan anything before 07.00 and you should be fine.

ABB125

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the advice - I've amended my plan to get the last daytime train from Duved, then the Stockholm-Malmö sleeper. I think this works out very very nicely, for a few reasons:
  • I've bought it as a through ticket for a "normal" person, not using an Interrail pass, for a very reasonable £30 (SEK404)
  • This saves me from having to use an Interrail day, which means I'll have a spare day to use on another trip later in the year
  • As it's a through ticket, with the journey provided by SJ's website, they will hopefully sort something out if the Duved train is delayed and I miss the sleeper south (24 minute connection)*
  • Much less chance of things going wrong on the way to Hamburg, as a big chunk of the journey has now been done overnight
  • All traditional loco-haulage, rather than using a high speed train (which I known technically counts, but isn't as fun :D)
So hopefully everything will be fine.

*Hotel in Stockholm then a space on the 0521 would be nice! Not sure how realistic this is, although my brother was allowed to claim back the cost of a hotel last year when his train from the north to Stockholm was cancelled

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Welcome to Sweden! It's been my home since 2019. I think that between myself, @JonasB and at least a few others on here, we can answer any questions about the country. Hope you have a great trip.

My top tips: don't bother with cash. Make sure you have a good debit or credit card that doesn't penalise you for overseas transactions, because card is the only way to pay. While travelling, be sure to enjoy the bistros and restaurant cars. They will seem a little expensive but are worth the treat. Everywhere in Norway and Sweden sells coffee (the fuel of the Nordic people), and a cheap cup of coffee and a bun from the Pressbyrån inside bigger stations is a nice little treat.

Halish Railway

Established Member
One thing that I would advise would be to have a European style plug for any electronic device you bring rather than using an adapter. I remember using an adapter on an X2000, fitted with the same seats and presumably plug sockets as the locomotive hauled coaching stock and having the earth prong of the British plug pushed out when plugged into the socket, making it unusable.

JonasB

As it's a through ticket, with the journey provided by SJ's website, they will hopefully sort something out if the Duved train is delayed and I miss the sleeper south (24 minute connection)*
Correct, if it's bought as a single ticket, SJ has to make sure you get to Malmö. It might be the first X2000 next morning, or the night train might wait a while. If your first train is late, you can ask the staff onboard about your options.

ABB125

Established Member
Welcome to Sweden! It's been my home since 2019. I think that between myself, @JonasB and at least a few others on here, we can answer any questions about the country. Hope you have a great trip.

My top tips: don't bother with cash. Make sure you have a good debit or credit card that doesn't penalise you for overseas transactions, because card is the only way to pay. While travelling, be sure to enjoy the bistros and restaurant cars. They will seem a little expensive but are worth the treat. Everywhere in Norway and Sweden sells coffee (the fuel of the Nordic people), and a cheap cup of coffee and a bun from the Pressbyrån inside bigger stations is a nice little treat.
Thanks - I don't drink coffee (or tea), but I do like Swedish buns!
One thing that I would advise would be to have a European style plug for any electronic device you bring rather than using an adapter. I remember using an adapter on an X2000, fitted with the same seats and presumably plug sockets as the locomotive hauled coaching stock and having the earth prong of the British plug pushed out when plugged into the socket, making it unusable.
That is indeed on my to do list (also useful in Switzerland, where a standard European adapter doesn't fit at all into their sockets)
Correct, if it's bought as a single ticket, SJ has to make sure you get to Malmö. It might be the first X2000 next morning, or the night train might wait a while. If your first train is late, you can ask the staff onboard about your options.
Thanks - good to have that confirmed

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Flixtrain from Stockholm to Gothenburg could be on your list, but they suspended service during the winter and haven’t posted a date for resumption of service. I think the cause was excessive damage to rolling stock from snow and ice.

Just a little update, Flixtrain have confirmed today that they're abandoning the Swedish market, and moving the carriages to Germany.

Report in Swedish here, translatable in Google Chrome browser: https://jarnvagar.nu/flixtrain-lamnar-sverige/

One extract, my translation:

No word on the real cause​

The management of Flixbus and Flixtrain in Sweden does not want to comment on the background of the decision.

"We cannot comment on contractual information or business insights," writes Kajsa Ekelund, head of communications at Flixbus, to Järnvägar.nu.

"As we have communicated, we see a great demand for sustainable and affordable mobility from Flix services in Sweden. This means we are increasing our FlixBus offer by 25% this spring. We continue to see great potential in Sweden for both bus and train, however, we cannot currently share a concrete timeline for FlixTrain."

It is unclear how much money Flixtrain has lost in just under three years on Swedish tracks. Flixbus does not report train traffic separately. But Flixbus Sweden has reported losses in all years.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Just a little update, Flixtrain have confirmed today that they're abandoning the Swedish market, and moving the carriages to Germany.

Report in Swedish here, translatable in Google Chrome browser: https://jarnvagar.nu/flixtrain-lamnar-sverige/

One extract, my translation:
Would I be right assuming that along with the Kalmar services being replaced by CAF EMUs, the only haulage out of Gothenburg will be the sleeper train to Duved and Umeå and the illusive TAGAB train to Stockholm via Karlstad?

JonasB

That will probably be the case, but who knows? We might see the sleeper to Luleå return to Gothenburg. There has also been rumours about Blå tåget returning, but I would not consider that very likely.