• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive brake valves / handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntypeman

Hi all...

Does anyone know if there is just ONE type of train brake valve type (I'm asking about BR locos here, NOT modern privatisation types)???

By that I mean is the train brake valve / handle on say a Class 87 the same as that on say a 47 or 50 etc...

I'm also after similar information on the locomotive / straight air brake valve if anyone can assist please???

Many thanks

Eric

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a340egkk

No, the largest 2 different manufacturers of braking systems are Westinghouse and then D&M.
E.g. 33 uses D&M, 31 Westinghouse, 73 D&M etc.

Typical BR loco D&M brake handles:

1643810675269.png

Typical BR loco Westinghouse brake handles:

1643810535426.png

ntypeman

No, the largest 2 different manufacturers of braking systems are Westinghouse and then D&M.
E.g. 33 uses D&M, 31 Westinghouse, 73 D&M etc.

Typical BR loco D&M brake handles:

View attachment 109658

Typical BR loco Westinghouse brake handles:

View attachment 109657
Thanks A340...

I'm particularly interested in the Westinghouse brake handles... Its a long shot but does anyone have any further information or drawings / dimensions of them???

Eric

ExRes

Established Member
I doubt there are dimensions on there but could I suggest you visit 'Dawlish Trains' website and click on 'The driving cab', it should be of interest to you

ntypeman

I doubt there are dimensions on there but could I suggest you visit 'Dawlish Trains' website and click on 'The driving cab', it should be of interest to you
Thanks...

Ive seen that site... The main reason I want dimensions is because I'm trying to model a representation of the brake valve...

Eric

doningtonphil

Eric. As highlighted beofre there are 2 main manufacturers - Davies & Metcalfe (now part of Wabtec Faiveley) and Westinghouse (now part of Knorr Bremse). When a loco was designed and built (almost) all of the brake components for it would be from either D&M or Westinghouse. The systems genreally work in the same way but the componets are often very differently shaped.

If you are talking Westinghouse, then it is either an M8a (as found on a Class 37 etc ) or M6a (as found on an 08 Shunter for example. In ae30egkk's photos, what you see is just the handle portion of the M8a and the 'Straight Air Brake' by the side of it Are you just needing dimensions of the visible handle or of the whole of the M8a Brake Valve. I can supply you drawings with some dimensions on. The same goes for the loco/Straight Air Brake.
Drop me a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.