• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive wheel skate

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

just wondering what’s the maximum speed a loco can travel on one of these contraptions?
66541 travelled from Peterborough to Doncaster today (11/3/2019) & it took over 7 hrs to complete the journey. Having driven a fair few times between the two places I know it’s around 85 miles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Long time since I've run one, but something like 15mph on plain track, 5mph on points and crossings?

On that basis 85 miles in under 8 hours is pretty good going!

Llama

Established Member
Depends, there is no real set speed. Last skate move I did was maximum 25mph on plain line (but down to 10mph or 3mph over S&C dependent on their permissible speed). Inspection distance was 8 miles.

tsr

Established Member
I believe this one may have been 20mph on plain line and 5mph over points. Seem to remember reading it somewhere earlier today.

6Gman

Established Member
I believe this one may have been 20mph on plain line and 5mph over points. Seem to remember reading it somewhere earlier today.

Sounds about right.

I remember moving an 86 with flats Preston to Crewe many years ago. Ran in the wee small hours but still had to go inside at several points to allow trains to pass. Crewing it was a challenge too - think we had to reman at Warrington during its lengthy wait.

(Also explains why moving stuff by road is sometimes simpler.)

Status
Not open for further replies.