• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos For Gatwick Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver74

Other than class 73's and 66's, are these the only two means of locomotion for the old Gatwick coaches?
I understand it has something to do with the heating and lighting of same. Steam is out of the question i'm informed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CraigS

Established Member
73s were the only locos used for the Gatwick Express coaches. The only time 66s would haven been used with them was when they were hauled for scrap or preservation. A 31 has been fitted with push pull equipment to allow it to be used with GatEx MK2s and GLV and is based at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
33/1s would be able to work with them aswell, including push pull from the GLV, and could also provide train supply (they were converted to work on 750v DC train supply). As for just hauling them though, I'm not sure if there are any special requirements or if they are just like normal hauled stock. The possible issues are couplings, if they have fixed buckeyes rarther than drop-head ones, in which case they would need a buckeye fitted loco or a barrier vehicle (basically anything with a buckeye at one end and a screw coupling hook at the other, which usually means having drop head buckeyes at both ends), and the brake pipes, if the conventional low level pipes were taken out when the high level ones were fitted, in which case adapters would have to be used, or a barrier with both types of pipe (73s have been used for this in the past, having both conventional and high level pipes).
Steam locos could haul them as long as they were air braked (although as above they might need a barrier for coupling or brakes), but as with other locos the big problem is the train supply since they couldn't work with a conventional generator coach.

Established Member
I think its just the SR multi equipment which is 'restricting'. They can only shove with a high-level piped fitted loco, anything air braked can haul them. Are you sure about the 750v DC EH fitting, as 31414 can therm them, and the ones sent to Northern Ireland work off a standard NIR genny van. Both could have been modified of course though.

1VWC

33/1s would be able to work with them aswell, including push pull from the GLV, and could also provide train supply (they were converted to work on 750v DC train supply). As for just hauling them though, I'm not sure if there are any special requirements or if they are just like normal hauled stock. The possible issues are couplings, if they have fixed buckeyes rarther than drop-head ones, in which case they would need a buckeye fitted loco or a barrier vehicle (basically anything with a buckeye at one end and a screw coupling hook at the other, which usually means having drop head buckeyes at both ends), and the brake pipes, if the conventional low level pipes were taken out when the high level ones were fitted, in which case adapters would have to be used, or a barrier with both types of pipe (73s have been used for this in the past, having both conventional and high level pipes).
Steam locos could haul them as long as they were air braked (although as above they might need a barrier for coupling or brakes), but as with other locos the big problem is the train supply since they couldn't work with a conventional generator coach.
Since they are essentially Mk2's with a bit of extra electrical kit, GatEx stock can be hauled by anything. Low level pipes are still in existance.
Not too sure about 33/1s working in push pull with the GLVs (SR is not my forte), it was always my understanding that to drive from a GLV it needs to be 'cut in'.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Not too sure about 33/1s working in push pull with the GLVs (SR is not my forte), it was always my understanding that to drive from a GLV it needs to be 'cut in'.

I'm not too sure about 33/1s either, as far as I'm aware, there's never been such a working although it may be possible. I do remember 33113 (I think) doing a grand tour of the country with a Gat-Ex rake prior to the launch in 1984, but I don't think there was even a GLV in the formation then. I remember being most upset that I missed seeing it at York as I was at school!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'm fairly sure they havn't ever worked with 33/1s, but I can't see any reason why they couldn't, since they just use the standard SR multiple working system. Really, it's not different to a CIG working with a 33/1, which the GCR does. Aswell as using the GLV, 33/1s (or 73s) could also top and tail.

1VWC

I'm fairly sure they havn't ever worked with 33/1s, but I can't see any reason why they couldn't, since they just use the standard SR multiple working system. Really, it's not different to a CIG working with a 33/1, which the GCR does. Aswell as using the GLV, 33/1s (or 73s) could also top and tail.
Having done some further research (a phone call to a mate who worked for GatEx), the Mk2 stock (Class 488) could only work with similar stock, 73s and GLVs as it was specially modified for the role. Standard haulage capability has been retained on the outer vehicles only (488s come in 2 and 3 vehicle semi permanent combinations) as the inner couplings have been replaced by 'bar' type couplings as found on most EMUs.

The GLVs were not the equivalent of DVTs (as many people assume) as they were effectively EMU power cars with their own traction motors and were able additionally to work in multi with '51, '57 and '63 stock. Essentially making the GatEx rakes top 'n' tailed! They were not able to be driven remotely from 33/1 locos (for the reason stated earlier) within the GatEx formation (although it has been proven that modification is possible as has already been mentioned - 31414), though as far as he knew if you were to combine a GLV and CEP for example, theoretically it would be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.