• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London area bars within stations or arches etc

Good evening !

I’m trying to make a list of all the station bars in the London area, the bars have to be within the station building - or even under arches etc - as long as it’s within the railway fabric .

It ll be a good pub crawl !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob55G

Here's a starter for you.
Kings Cross: The Parcel Yard
St Pancras: Betjeman Arms

You could make a day of it just with these two!

LA50041

Established Member
Here's a starter for you.
Kings Cross: The Parcel Yard
St Pancras: Betjeman Arms

You could make a day of it just with these two!
Barrel Vault at St Pancras
Hamilton hall at Liverpool st
John hawksaw at Cannon Street
Brewdog in the sidings at Waterloo
Beer house and Wetherspoons at Victoria
Mad bishop & bear and beer house at Paddington
Can’t remember pub at Marylebone
Signal box, Doric arch, and Euston tap

(Not that I’ve done a pub crawl of those ar all )

alistairlees

Established Member
Good evening !

I’m trying to make a list of all the station bars in the London area, the bars have to be within the station building - or even under arches etc - as long as it’s within the railway fabric .

It ll be a good pub crawl !
I wonder if that's been done before?
See https://railsmartr.co.uk/wp-content...al_rail_cheapest_pubs_bars_on_the_station.pdf
We'll be updating it soon, as there are actually quite a few more stations with pubs. But I hope it helps!

Benjwri

Established Member
On railway arches Battersea Brewery is under the arches just south of Grosvenor Bridge.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I have happy memories of the days when there were bars on the platforms (or at least inside the barriers) at several Underground stations. There was at least one somewhere on a westbound platform on the trunk section of the District - maybe Sloane Square. Heading west from the City it was a case of getting the first train irrespective of destination, nipping off for a quick pint at Sloane Square (or wherever), and then picking up the right train afterwards. And there was one upstairs (though inside the barriers) at Baker Street too. I'm sure they weren't the only two.

Wolfie

Established Member
On railway arches Battersea Brewery is under the arches just south of Grosvenor Bridge.
Look at the Bermondsey Beer Mile. Multiple craft breweries or taps thereof, all in railway arches.

Would the Spoons at Baker Street station (technically might not be deemed part of the railway as an Underground station l suppose) qualify?

There is a Spoons pub on Cannon Street station too.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I have happy memories of the days when there were bars on the platforms (or at least inside the barriers) at several Underground stations. There was at least one somewhere on a westbound platform on the trunk section of the District - maybe Sloane Square.
Indeed Sloane Square, which was very handy in crew operated days running the night empty Stock from Upminster to Parsons Green sidings.

DelW

Established Member
The Hole in the Wall at Waterloo.
And the Waterloo Tap under the same viaduct but between York Road and the river.

The Wellington on Waterloo Road is underneath and around the one-time rail link bridge between Waterloo and Waterloo East.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Several at Deptford arches either side of the High Street.

Loads in the arches around Hackney Central, Clapton and Forest Gate which is a hipstery area!

And the Waterloo Tap under the same viaduct but between York Road and the river.

The Wellington on Waterloo Road is underneath and around the one-time rail link bridge between Waterloo and Waterloo East.
The Wellington is pretty forgettable though!

Bluejays

Strong recommendations for 3 already mentioned here. Mad bishop and bear at paddington, Betjeman at pancras and the tap on the line at Kew are lovely pubs.

Few more pubs inside stations I'd add would be the 2 sports bar & grills. One at Marylebone and one at Victoria. The one at Marylebone is a great sports bar actually, so many screens you can always get what you want put on somewhere.

There's the pub on the platforms at paddington aswell, around by platform 9. 'The beer house' it's called . There's also a bar in the Hilton paddington, which may be stretching it slightly. Although it is attached to the station, and it was originally a GWR hotel I believe.

The booking office bar at st pancras is another railway hotel bar, although this one is accessible direct from the upper concourse at st pancras. Actually, thinking about st pancras, you could get well bladdered just by crawling from bar to bar there. Can watch the Eurostars come in and out from Searcy's champagne bar

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sadly not really in a station so may not qualify but there is a (fairly decent) pub in the arches on the approach to Fenchurch Street. It is called Minories and I believe it is on the site of the former Minories station; right next to Tower Gateway DLR or a short walk from Fenchurch Street itself.
Few more pubs inside stations I'd add would be the 2 sports bar & grills. One at Marylebone and one at Victoria. The one at Marylebone is a great sports bar actually, so many screens you can always get what you want put on somewhere.
There is one at Clapham Junction as well (I can't work out if it's in the station building or not - it's certainly part of the same building that the St John's Hill entrance leads to). It's not somewhere you'd go for character and prices were eyewatering by Battersea standards (and high even for Central London) but the service was top notch and there seemed to be a lot of screens as you say.

cle

Established Member
Peckham Springs, Brewery etc etc under Peckham Rye. . . . and of course the real winner, the Bermondsey Beer Mile.

DelW

Established Member
The Wellington is pretty forgettable though!
I'll admit that I've never been into it ;)

In that area, if I've got time for a few minutes' walk I'd usually head for the King's Arms on Roupell St which doesn't quite meet the OP's conditions. If not, it'd be the Waterloo Tap or the Hole in the Wall.

Class 170101

Established Member
Some pubs / bars under the arches between Camden Road and Camden Road East Jn.

Trackman

Established Member
My brother used to go to a club underneath London Bridge station, not sure if it's still there.

I believe that the Wellington was the only pub to be owned by British Transport Hotels Limited to be off of railway premises. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the place as I spent quite a lot of time in it when I was performing at the Network theatre.

For boozing in archways, there's an eclectic little mix of places on Paradise Row in Bethnal Green, underneath the London Overground line between Liverpool Street and Cambridge Heath.

The Windsor at Fenchurch Street is right on station premises and there's the Cheshire Cheese under its arches.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There's The Hop underneath Leeds station arches, close to the Southern Entrance (opposite the Double Tree hotel). Worth a visit if for no other reason than to also see the river Aire flowing underneath the station, a real marvel of engineering, especially given how high the river has been recently. Note if you are sensitive to loud noise, I'd suggest ear plugs / noise cancelling headphones to take a look at the river!!

Goldfish62

Established Member
More at Waterloo Station:

The Waterloo Arms on the concourse (it's a BrewDog offshoot).
The Victory on the balcony.

Spoons coming soon!

irp

There's the pub on the platforms at paddington aswell, around by platform 9. 'The beer house' it's called . There's also a bar in the Hilton paddington, which may be stretching it slightly. Although it is attached to the station, and it was originally a GWR hotel I believe.
That is not just any ex GWR Hotel, but was formally the Great Western Royal Hotel. I had the chance to of stay there for one night a while back, and it's heritage is obvious. I was lucky enough that my room provided great views of that wonderful train shed roof!