• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London area bars within stations or arches etc

FGW_DID

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
What a great map! :D

Paddington - I know the 'Mad Bear' very well and the 'Beer House' but don't know the 'Cabin Bar', whereabouts on the Station is that?
It's on the balcony, on the left as you have your back to the platforms. I think there's an escalator up to it.

jack31439

Under the Overground in Leyton, Gravity Well Taproom and Mammoth Tap are a couple of favourites.
Also under the Overground in Clapham/Brixton there are plenty, I like Distortion next to Wandsworth Road and had a great tasting room tour at the London Beer Lab in Brixton.
A complete list would be a right pain to maintain I bet!

Mikey C

Established Member
Akin to the Bermondsey mile, the Brixton brewery taproom is under railway arches

And the Camden Beer Hall is under arches by Kentish Town West station

Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
There's The Hop underneath Leeds station arches, close to the Southern Entrance (opposite the Double Tree hotel). Worth a visit if for no other reason than to also see the river Aire flowing underneath the station, a real marvel of engineering, especially given how high the river has been recently. Note if you are sensitive to loud noise, I'd suggest ear plugs / noise cancelling headphones to take a look at the river!!

Sounds like one to try when I'm next in Leeds, but slightly off topic from the OP's request for railway bars in London!

Established Member
The Archduke in the arches at Concert Hall Approach, Waterloo not far from the Waterloo Tap.

+1 for both of the above. The Archduke is part of the Black and Blue chain, and they do decent steak/burgers. The Waterloo Tap is a slightly grimy looking location but has a good range of (strong!) beers.

The new (massive) Brewdog place in Waterloo has loads of seating, decent range of beers but is somehow a little soulless. They’ve well and truly sold out and aren’t really a craft beer brand anymore in my view.

The Bermondsey Beer Mile is an excellent way to spend a summer’s afternoon. A range of pubs and microbreweries many of which are under the arches of what IIRC is one of the world’s oldest railway viaducts.

Rescars

Established Member
I believe that the Wellington was the only pub to be owned by British Transport Hotels Limited to be off of railway premises. I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the place as I spent quite a lot of time in it when I was performing at the Network theatre.
Straying off-thread a bit, you may well be right when it comes to pubs, but BTH had several hotels (with very nice bars) well removed from the main railway estate. As examples, Tregenna Castle at St Ives and Manor House at Moretonhampstead. Gleneagles and Turnberry were a bit distant too. The Welcombe at Stratford on Avon was sufficiently far out of town that the LMS tried out their Karrier Ro-Railer to provide a workable transport connection. Back in the day, a giveaway about proximity was whether or not the establishment in question had a railway telephone or if the only link was via GPO/BT.

TJM

There's the Heaven nightclub directly underneath Charing Cross station, also Players Bar and Kitchen.

greyman42

Established Member
The Windsor at Fenchurch Street is right on station premises
It is not part of the station premises but i see where you are coming from. It is actually a decent pub with low prices (for the area) and friendly staff.

DelW

Established Member
The new (massive) Brewdog place in Waterloo has loads of seating, decent range of beers but is somehow a little soulless. They’ve well and truly sold out and aren’t really a craft beer brand anymore in my view.
It's also expensive even by London standards. IIRC beers around £8/pint on my one and only visit (soon after it opened).

Their website doesn't show drinks prices (no surprise there), but for a food comparison, burgers start at £13.50 and go upwards, breakfast is £14.45. It'll be interesting to see how/if the arrival of 'spoons nearby affects them, 'spoons in London stations are more expensive than their normal pubs but I can't see prices getting near to Brewdog's (at least I hope not).

Wolfie

Established Member
Akin to the Bermondsey mile, the Brixton brewery taproom is under railway arches

And the Camden Beer Hall is under arches by Kentish Town station

The Pretty Decent Beer brewery and tap room is in railway arches in the Forest Gate area - they did a great brewery tour.

The Camden Beer Hall is actually next to Kentish Town West station.

Established Member
Here's a starter for you.
Kings Cross: The Parcel Yard
St Pancras: Betjeman Arms

You could make a day of it just with these two!

You could indeed - both excellent choices.

Also the Euston flyer is decent enough for a Fullers pub. After a night in there a few years ago now I can remember waking up with a horrendous hangover - and realising I was in Edinburgh - after a drunken decision to jump on the sleeper. It was a long and painful journey back on a VTEC HST :D.

It's also expensive even by London standards. IIRC beers around £8/pint on my one and only visit (soon after it opened).

Their website doesn't show drinks prices (no surprise there), but for a food comparison, burgers start at £13.50 and go upwards, breakfast is £14.45. It'll be interesting to see how/if the arrival of 'spoons nearby affects them, 'spoons in London stations are more expensive than their normal pubs but I can't see prices getting near to Brewdog's (at least I hope not).

Absolutely - crazy prices.

Wolfie

Established Member

Brewdog pubs are rarely cheap but that one is the dearest l have come across. As a comparison the Spoons at Liverpool Street, which isn't cheap by Spoons standards, charges £6.63 for a pint of Brewdog Punk IPA.

Established Member
As a comparison the Spoons at Liverpool Street, which isn't cheap by Spoons standards, charges £6.63 for a pint of Brewdog Punk IPA.

That is a truly ghastly pub, as I think we’ve discussed before!

Wolfie

Established Member
That is a truly ghastly pub, as I think we’ve discussed before!
The pub isn't bad, the clientele though... In any event l only cited it for price comparison purposes...

Mikey C

Established Member
The Camden Beer Hall is actually next to Kentish Town West station.
Corrected, I could have sworn I typed in Kentish Town West originally :D

Also the Euston flyer is decent enough for a Fullers pub. After a night in there a few years ago now I can remember waking up with a horrendous hangover - and realising I was in Edinburgh - after a drunken decision to jump on the sleeper. It was a long and painful journey back on a VTEC HST :D.
:E

The Euston Flyer isn't in the station, as it's on the Euston Road. Did you mean The Doric Arch (ex Head of Steam)?

Wolfie

Established Member
Corrected, I could have sworn I typed in Kentish Town West originally :D

:E

The Euston Flyer isn't in the station, as it's on the Euston Road. Did you mean The Doric Arch (ex Head of Steam)?
Stranger things have been known, mate, don't fret lol....

Re your second comment: or the Signal Box perhaps (but that's pretty recent)?

alholmes

In the late 80s with a few uni friends we did the London Terminals pub crawl. Can’t remember the exact route, but I know we started at the Viaduct Tavern (near Holborn Viaduct), then did Cannon Street, Fenchurch Street and Moorgate to ensure we did the city pubs before they closed - in those days pubs in the City were early closers. Pretty sure we finished at St Pancras.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Straying off-thread a bit, you may well be right when it comes to pubs, but BTH had several hotels (with very nice bars) well removed from the main railway estate. As examples, Tregenna Castle at St Ives and Manor House at Moretonhampstead. Gleneagles and Turnberry were a bit distant too. The Welcombe at Stratford on Avon was sufficiently far out of town that the LMS tried out their Karrier Ro-Railer to provide a workable transport connection. Back in the day, a giveaway about proximity was whether or not the establishment in question had a railway telephone or if the only link was via GPO/BT.
The Tregenna Castle is quite close to St Ives Station and even closer to the branch line.

Rescars

Established Member
That is not just any ex GWR Hotel, but was formally the Great Western Royal Hotel. I had the chance to of stay there for one night a while back, and it's heritage is obvious. I was lucky enough that my room provided great views of that wonderful train shed roof!
Another claim to its fame was that Brunel was it's first managing director. Apparently he found it a pleasant diversion from his engineering activities.

It is not part of the station premises but i see where you are coming from. It is actually a decent pub with low prices (for the area) and friendly staff.
I'll take your word for that. I was actually there last week and it felt very much part of the station but now you come to mention it it's probably just off the forecourt. I didn't think too much about it at the time! Lots of people in there having a great time I have to say.

I guess the "real" station pub was the Fen, now sadly closed.

Wolfie

Established Member
The Ship & Shovel is a whisker off the main building on the Western side.
Champagne Charlies, a Davy's place, in in the arch under Charing Cross. There is the Shop and Shovell (double l!) as you say. All Bar One is on Villiers Street and is part of the hotel building (l assume a former railway hotel?). Oh and the Princess of Wales is directly across Villiers Street from the station side entrance.

Spot the person who worked in Whitehall for nearly 40 years lol....

Rescars

Established Member
It's a while since I've visited Villiers St, but I think that All Bar One is in what used to be part of the Charing Cross Hotel. Curiously for an establishment owned by British Rail, in its final years of BTH operation this bar was fitted out to resemble the interior of a London Underground train.