• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London bus routes for sightseeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Until around 10 years ago I used London buses on a regular basis so had a good knowledge of them, but I've had no need to use them since moving away. I've been looking at taking my 7 year old son to do a bit of touristy sightseeing and I've looked at booking one of the sightseeing tours, but they are a rip off or maybe I'm just a bit tight, but anyway...

From memory, there are a few routes through central London that pass most of the main sights but I can't remember the route numbers or the routes they take in much detail; can anyone suggest any routes worth doing?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

microrich

Until around 10 years ago I used London buses on a regular basis so have a good knowledge of them, but I've had no need to use them since moving away, I've been looking at taking my 7 year old son to do a bit of touristy sightseeing, I've looked at booking one of the sightseeing tours but they are a rip off, or maybe I'm just a bit tight, but anyway...

From memory, there is a few routes through central London that pass most of the main sights but I can't remember the route numbers or the routes they take in much detail, can anyone suggest any routes worth doing?
TFL publish a nice map of key bus routes in central London, which also shows many of the main tourist attractions, which you might find useful. You can find it at:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's a shame that probably the best routes for sightseeing have either disappeared or been truncated in recent years i.e. the RV1, 521 and 11.

Russel

It's a shame that probably the best routes for sightseeing have either disappeared or been truncated in recent years i.e. the RV1, 521 and 11.

I was never that impressed with the RV1, I think being single deck through the centre of London just didn't feel right!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was never that impressed with the RV1, I think being single deck through the centre of London just didn't feel right!
Well. I have to admit I never got round to using it, but on its original routeing it seemed to tick a lot of the boxes. Actually, as in Paris, I'd take a boat down the river. Just a shame the London ones aren't a patch on the Parisian experience!

P.S. For those who don't know, Buckingham Palace cannot be seen from either service bus or boat.

Cambus731

TFL have shot themselves in the foot on this by re-routing the 11 and 23. The 26 is now probably the best route for this as it goes past The Royal Exchange, St Pauls Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Parliment Square and Westminster Abbey.
The recently launched t15 using Routemasters between Tower Hill and Piccadilly Circus is also worth a go. A mate of mine is a conductor on that. They don't take Travelcards or Oysters though so you'd have to be prepared to pay a little more

The_Van

I used to live on the old 6 route from Hackney Wick to Kensal Rise, some fantastic sightseeing from the top deck of the routemasters

Great days

greyman42

Established Member
TFL have shot themselves in the foot on this by re-routing the 11 and 23. The 26 is now probably the best route for this as it goes past The Royal Exchange, St Pauls Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Parliment Square and Westminster Abbey.
The recently launched t15 using Routemasters between Tower Hill and Piccadilly Circus is also worth a go. A mate of mine is a conductor on that. They don't take Travelcards or Oysters though so you'd have to be prepared to pay a little more
As you can hop on and off, if you buy a return, can you use it unlimited all day?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
20+ years ago, I would sometimes take a 74 bus from Marble Arch to West Brompton, rather than Circle / Hammy services from Edgware Road.
The bus route was down Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, Kensington (Natural History Museum) and Earls Court; I always enjoyed the top deck views.

Another enjoyable route, is for a Thames Clipper from Westminster Pier to the Woolwich Arsenal pier and back. It's a great way for riverside sights, plus the thrill of going under Tower Bridge and through the Thames Flood Barrier.
On the return from Woolwich Arsenal, you could alight at the O2 pier, then take an Air Line cable car over the Thames to Victoria Dock, then board a Bank bound DLR for the views through the Docklands area such as Canary Wharf, Limehouse Basin and the tunnel unto Bank DLR. Or, go to Tower Gateway DLR and the Tower of London greets you as you leave the station

Last edited:

Cambus731

I'd agree with this. When the 11 ran from Liverpool Street to Victoria it was brilliant for sightseeing.
I think they sell a day ticket. They're not cheap to ride on, but it is expensive keeping Routemasters going.

AndrewE

Established Member
Some years ago we met our grandchildren at Kings Cross sta and took a 17 (I think it was) to go to Tower bridge. It was a good ride, past St Pauls and the Monument with a walk along the S bank past HMS Belfast to get to the bridge. Buying the correct travel card allowed travel all day including the water buses.

Russel

Another enjoyable route, is for a Thames Clipper from Westminster Pier to the Woolwich Arsenal pier and back. It's a great way for riverside sights, plus the thrill of going under Tower Bridge and through the Thames Flood Barrier.
On the return from Woolwich Arsenal, you could alight at the O2 pier, then take an Air Line cable car over the Thames to Victoria Dock, then board a Bank bound DLR for the views through the Docklands area such as Canary Wharf, Limehouse Basin and the tunnel unto Bank DLR. Or, go to Tower Gateway DLR and the Tower of London greets you as you leave the station

This is something I'm actually looking at doing, it will be nice to revisit some of the places I haven't seen much of in over a decade!

I still pass through London about once a month but it's not the same as a full day of touristy sight seeing... I'd hate to move back though.

Statto

Established Member
Looking at the Thames Clipper & prices are £21 for an adult all zones day ticket, which looks decent value when you can go from Putney to Barking & back as many times as you like & stop off as many times as you like too. Definitely something i'm considering on my next visit to London which most likely will be next spring.

AndrewP

42 and 78 across tower bridge are good from the top deck. Link with the 15 at Tower Hill ( short walk) and that links with the 11 to Victoria at Trafalgar Square. From Victoria the 390 up Park Lane to Marble Arch Via Hyde Park Corner and along Oxford Street to see the lights and then a bus to Piccadilly Circus covers a lot

ANDREW_D_WEBB

jfollows

Established Member
IMHO this a very poor map as it only gives selected routes. For example it misses out 12, 26, and 94 which all pass major sightseeing venues. Much better to have a proper bus map but TfL won't do one.
Hence my post 4 above!
For £2, which is money well spent in my opinion, you can buy a paper or digital bus map from https://www.busmap.co.uk/

AndrewE

Established Member
IMHO this a very poor map as it only gives selected routes. For example it misses out 12, 26, and 94 which all pass major sightseeing venues. Much better to have a proper bus map but TfL won't do one.

Hence my post 4 above!
I'm glad to have that confirmed, I was afraid it was my computer skills (lack of) which were preventing me finding one!
My old and very old paper London ones were very useful (although probably only souvenirs nowadays), ditto those produced in/for Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.