• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Country route 401

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
A bit of nostalgia for me this weekend. I had cause to stop over in Eynsford, as a lad i remember seeing bus 401 at Bexleyheath heading for Eynsford Station. I know this route did run further to Sevenoaks but I dont really recall that.

I arrived at Eynsford by train and imagined the 401 parked up there waiting for the return north to Belvedere, indeed there is a bus stop still on the station Approach road.

From looking at bus stops in the village there now seems a very limited bus service available, towards Swanley and possibly to Through to Sevenoaks , but only about 2 or 3 a day mid week.

How things change.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

Very surprising to see the Swanley to Sevenoaks service is now, like you say, only a couple of journeys a day. I lived in Swanley between 2014 and 2018 and I’m sure even as recent as that it was an hourly service, although I may be mistaken.

Wasn’t there once a London Transport ‘red’ bus route that went out as far as Eynsford (or at least Farningham) back in the day? I seem to recall also once seeing a photo of one of the Roundabout Iveco minibuses, in service, traversing the ford at Eynsford. Wish I could find it again and any more info on what route it may have been would be great.

MotCO

Established Member
Very surprising to see the Swanley to Sevenoaks service is now, like you say, only a couple of journeys a day. I lived in Swanley between 2014 and 2018 and I’m sure even as recent as that it was an hourly service, although I may be mistaken.

Wasn’t there once a London Transport ‘red’ bus route that went out as far as Eynsford (or at least Farningham) back in the day? I seem to recall also once seeing a photo of one of the Roundabout Iveco minibuses, in service, traversing the ford at Eynsford. Wish I could find it again and any more info on what route it may have been would be great.

The red bus route may have been an early morning back projection of the 21 to Moorgate.

Typhoon

Established Member
A bit of nostalgia for me this weekend. I had cause to stop over in Eynsford, as a lad i remember seeing bus 401 at Bexleyheath heading for Eynsford Station. I know this route did run further to Sevenoaks but I dont really recall that.

I arrived at Eynsford by train and imagined the 401 parked up there waiting for the return north to Belvedere, indeed there is a bus stop still on the station Approach road.

From looking at bus stops in the village there now seems a very limited bus service available, towards Swanley and possibly to Through to Sevenoaks , but only about 2 or 3 a day mid week.

How things change.
I once caught the 401, probably in Belvedere Village with the intention of travelling to Sevenoaks then on to Tunbridge Wells (Why? No idea, I think Tunbridge Wells sounded a bit exotic - I might have seen pictures). It terminated at Eynsford - the route had been cut back the previous week so probably latish '60s.

The red bus route may have been an early morning back projection of the 21 to Moorgate.
Yes, depends on the timing. 21 service to Farningham cut back to Sidcup on 30th Jan 1971. Roundabout R6 went to Sevenoaks at one time but not via Eynsford (via Knockholt Pound)

source - https://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/021.html

Roger1973

I have a vague recollection that Roundabout did operate some Kent County Council tendered routes (probably mostly evenings and / or Sundays) but can't find a detailed record of these - possible that the Roundabout photo was one of these? A bit of searching on Flickr came up with a Southlands Coaches midi bus in Eynsford in 2002, but nothing Roundabout - it's possible that Roundabout ran an earlier version of this service.

I don't think any 'red bus' route ever got as far as Eynsford, As 'Typhoon' says, 21 and later 21A got to Farningham, then in the 80s, one or two early morning journeys on the 21 got extended back to Swanley, and later to West Kingsdown, but don't think they ever got back to Farningham.

Last edited by a moderator:

frodshamfella

Established Member

I think the 21 , went down to Farnborough at one time. There was also the service run by Thames Weald, which may have served Eynsford. It had an interesting convoluted route from Somewhere in Essex via Dartford and various lanes and small villages to Sevenoaks.

I once caught the 401, probably in Belvedere Village with the intention of travelling to Sevenoaks then on to Tunbridge Wells (Why? No idea, I think Tunbridge Wells sounded a bit exotic - I might have seen pictures). It terminated at Eynsford - the route had been cut back the previous week so probably latish '60s.

Yes, depends on the timing. 21 service to Farningham cut back to Sidcup on 30th Jan 1971. Roundabout R6 went to Sevenoaks at one time but not via Eynsford (via Knockholt Pound)

source - https://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/021.html
To.go all the way the Sevenoaks then change for Tunbridge Wells would have been an amazing trip.

I have a vague recollection that Roundabout did operate some Kent CC tendered routes (probably mostly evenings and / or Sundays) but can't find a detailed record of these - possible that the Roundabout photo was one of these? A bit of searching on Flickr came up with a Southlands Coaches midi bus in Eynsford in 2002, but nothing Roundabout - it's possible that Roundabout ran an earlier version of this service.

I don't think any 'red bus' route ever got as far as Eynsford, As 'Typhoon' says, 21 and later 21A got to Farningham, then in the 80s, one or two early morning journeys on the 21 got extended back to Swanley, and later to West Kingsdown, but don't think they ever got back to Farningham.

No I don't think any 21 or 21A went to Eynsford. They kept to the A20. Brands Hatch being the furthest projection.

Roger1973

I think the 21 , went down to Farnborough at one time. There was also the service run by Thames Weald, which may have served Eynsford. It had an interesting convoluted route from Somewhere in Essex via Dartford and various lanes and small villages to Sevenoaks.

I don't think the 21 ever got to Farnborough - the 47 went to Farnborough from Central London from before the 1914 war (although the Lewisham - Farnborough end was localised or hived off to the 199 some of the time.)

Or were you thinking of the 51? It did go to Farnborough, but the furthest east it went was Sevenoaks Way between Foots Cray and Orpington.

I don't think I ever travelled with Thames Weald, but certainly aware of them. I'm not sure there are many bits of west Kent / south Essex that they didn't go to at one time or another...

Enthusiast

As far as I know, no red London bus routes ventured down the Darent Valley. The 21 carried on eastwards along the A20 past the junction with the southbound A225 (for Eynsford) on its occasional trips to West Kingsdown between 1989-94. I seem to recall the service beyond Swanley was a very limited Monday-Friday offering.

I believe the 51 has not visited Farnborough since 1977.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
There is something about Thames Weald at https://www.flickr.com/photos/wirewiping/10052287723.

There was also an Eastern National service (402?) through the tunnel, went to Southend from Dartford at one time.

I seem to remember Thames Weald used minibuses before the big surge for minibuses following deregulation.

To.go all the way the Sevenoaks then change for Tunbridge Wells would have been an amazing trip.
The follies of youth! I had to catch a train from Eynsford to Sevenoaks(?). From there I caught a bus to Tonbridge (I think it went through Sevenoaks Weald) - it was later than I had hoped so I did an about turn and caught a Greenline (704?) to Bromley then a 725 or 726 to Bexleyheath and a bus (401 or 486?) to Belvedere. Then a walk home!! These were the days when London Country ran to Tunbridge Wells. Needless to say I had a Rover!
A bit pointless really as I never really had a look round anywhere. My parents probably thought I was mad (still, I was out of the house for the day).

frodshamfella

Established Member
I don't think the 21 ever got to Farnborough - the 47 went to Farnborough from Central London from before the 1914 war (although the Lewisham - Farnborough end was localised or hived off to the 199 some of the time.)

Or were you thinking of the 51? It did go to Farnborough, but the furthest east it went was Sevenoaks Way between Foots Cray and Orpington.

I don't think I ever travelled with Thames Weald, but certainly aware of them. I'm not sure there are many bits of west Kent / south Essex that they didn't go to at one time or another...
Opps meant Farningham

There is something about Thames Weald at https://www.flickr.com/photos/wirewiping/10052287723.

There was also an Eastern National service (402?) through the tunnel, went to Southend from Dartford at one time.

I seem to remember Thames Weald used minibuses before the big surge for minibuses following deregulation.

The follies of youth! I had to catch a train from Eynsford to Sevenoaks(?). From there I caught a bus to Tonbridge (I think it went through Sevenoaks Weald) - it was later than I had hoped so I did an about turn and caught a Greenline (704?) to Bromley then a 725 or 726 to Bexleyheath and a bus (401 or 486?) to Belvedere. Then a walk home!! These were the days when London Country ran to Tunbridge Wells. Needless to say I had a Rover!
A bit pointless really as I never really had a look round anywhere. My parents probably thought I was mad (still, I was out of the house for the day).
I used to do those sort of things, those Rover tickets were great value . I do remember the Eastern National 402 , which went from Southend via Dartford and Bexleyheath to London Victoria. I caught it a few times to London.

There was also the Greenline 719 which went to Wrotham and must have gone via Farningham on the way.

Do you remember the 401A to Joydens Wood ?

I wonder if the LC 423 ever went beyond Swanley and continued to Brands Hatch or Wrotham ? Another lengthy route .

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
The Eynsford-Sevenoaks section of the 401 was withdrawn on 1.4.78. There was a Sunday hospital bus (numbered 456) but it didn't last long.

MotCO

Established Member
Opps meant Farningham

I used to do those sort of things, those Rover tickets were great value . I do remember the Eastern National 402 , which went from Southend via Dartford and Bexleyheath to London Victoria. I caught it a few times to London.

There was also the Greenline 719 which went to Wrotham and must have gone via Farningham on the way.

Do you remember the 401A to Joydens Wood ?

I wonder if the LC 423 ever went beyond Swanley and continued to Brands Hatch or Wrotham ? Another lengthy route .
There was also a 'Green Line' 795 operated jointly by Southend Transport and Green Line which went from Southend to Gatwick via various iterations. It went through the tunnel and via Orpington.

Roger1973

I believe the 51 has not visited Farnborough since 1977.

Yes. It (more or less) swapped southern ends with route 229 in 1977 when the 51 went OPO - I think the terminus at Farnborough was the sort where buses stood in the middle of the road and passengers got on buses on the stand, which would not have worked with OPO buses. I have a vague memory of going there probably just before the 47 and 229 were moved away from the stand at the 'George' in 1982 (the 229 also going OPO at that time.)

Yes - I don't have a date for a change, but a 1974 London Country timetable shows peak journeys on route 423 extending either to West Kingsdown or Wrotham Square.

A few peak journeys were RMC operated off the 477 allocation after most of the route went single deck - photo (not mine) here.

frodshamfella

Established Member
There was also a 'Green Line' 795 operated jointly by Southend Transport and Green Line which went from Southend to Gatwick via various iterations. It went through the tunnel and via Orpington.
There was also a Greenline 750, which went Gravesend to Gatwick and Crawley, it was later renumbered 755, but neither lasted very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.