• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Euston to Wembley Stadium

d123c

Hi - booked a 1 adult, 2 childen train ticket through Avanti from Euston to Wembley Stadium which i understand means getting on the tube from Euston to Marylebone and then a Chiltern train from Marylebone to Wembley stadium.

However, the tickets i've collected show

From - London Terminals
to - London Undergrnd Zones 1-4

This doesnt seem right to me, as my destination isnt an underground station. Does anyone know if this is in fact correct or whether i should question it?

Thanks

Booking.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leisurefirst

Hi - booked a 1 adult, 2 childen train ticket through Avanti from Euston to Wembley Stadium which i understand means getting on the tube from Euston to Marylebone and then a Chiltern train from Marylebone to Wembley stadium.

From - London Terminals

This doesnt seem right to me, as my destination isnt an underground station. Does anyone know if this is in fact correct or whether i should question it?

Thanks

View attachment 151618

View attachment 151619
If you are going to the stadium, far easier to just walk 5 mins to Euston Square and take the Metropolitan Line to Wembley Park which is just as near the stadium, just the other side.
(Or the also direct Euston to Wembley Central Overground but a not very lovely 15to 20mins odd walk through Wembley with kids.)
A contactless bank card used for either of these journeys would have been only £3.20 at the time stated and the children travel free if under 11.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The booking site appears to think your origin is NR and your destination is LU; it's the other way round.

It also incorrectly says it's a non-refundable ticket (technically it is refundable but admittedly the fees would make it not worthwhile)

I'd suggest asking for a refund (a full refund, without admin fee should be provided due to the error) and book it from our website, which works much better than Avanti's site.

Edit: I've just checked, and can confirm for sure, that we are offering it the correct way round!

Perfectly valid...
Not quite; it would be fine the other way round.

The ticket should be accepted with the accommpanying itinerary, however the LU gateline at Euston [Square] may not allow entry.
, though if you are going to the stadium, far easier to just walk 5 mins to Euston Square and take the Metropolitan Line to Wembley Park...
Probably, but in order to say definitively I'd be wanting to know if walking was an issue and also exactly where the final destination is (e.g. is it the stadium itself, or perhaps the Premier Inn at Wembley Stadium?)
which is just as near the stadium, just the other side
Definitely not "just as near" however depending on the exact entrance, that may skew it. The walking distance from (say) the Wembley Stadium Premier Inn or Ibis is much much shorter to Stadium than Park; if you're a slow walker it could be an additional 10+ mins, by which time you could be almost at Marylebone.
(Or the also direct Euston to Wembley Central Overground but a not very lovely 15to 20mins odd walk through Wembley with kids.)
Again it depends on where exactly in Wembley the destination is; if the destination was (say) Wembley Triangle then I'd certainly be heading to Wembley Central.
A contactless bank card used for either of these journeys would have been only £3.20 at the time stated and the children travel free if under 11.
Yes, to Wembley Park/Central children would be free, but only if under 11 and accompanied. This wouldn't apply to Wembley Stadium (see map)

The basic question can be answered easily enough: this is an issuing error. But if the question is what route to take, we don't have enough information to definitively answer that. Google Maps is actually pretty good in this area, though some of the connection times can be a bit iffy.

Wenbley Park/Central stations are each approx 15 to 20 mins walk (depending on walking speed) from Wembley Stadium, so avoiding the change at Marylebone isn't necessarily going to be quicker. It really depends.

Last edited:

Jan Mayen

Is a ticket to U1-4 valid to Wembley Stadium on the Chiltern Line? If the ticket is from Euston Underbround, shouldn't it be U1 to Wembey Stadium?

CyrusWuff

Established Member

From - London Terminals

Thanks

<Images of tickets removed>
Those tickets are not valid on Chiltern to Wembley Stadium, only on the Bakerloo Line or London Overground to Wembley Central or the Metropolitan Line to Wembley Park. (Leaving aside, for one moment, that tickets issued against a specific itinerary should always be accepted without question, even if it's obviously wrong.)

What Avanti's site should have sold (given the origin was specified as Euston) was a ticket from Zones 1-4 to Wembley Stadium.

Whilst the price of both tickets is the same, given the journey is wholly within the London zones, it's still an issuing error on Avanti's part.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is a ticket to U1-4 valid to Wembley Stadium on the Chiltern Line? If the ticket is from Euston Underbround, shouldn't it be U1 to Wembey Stadium?
U1-4 is correct, as it's all within the Zones (that's just how the rules are)

If it was to (say) High Wycome, then it'd just be issued from U1 London.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the underlying problem with planning this sort of journey is that you’re not really starting at London Euston, but at Euston Underground. Although they’re accessible from the same place, eg the mainline concourse, or the street outside, I suspect most TOC planner based ticket sales sites don’t make this clear enough.

The original poster mentions he thought it was odd because his destination isn’t an underground station, but it’s also the case that his origin isn’t a main line station…

Adam Williams

Established Member
What Avanti's site should have sold (given the origin was specified as Euston) was a ticket from Zones 1-4 to Wembley Stadium.

Whilst the price of both tickets is the same, given the journey is wholly within the London zones, it's still an issuing error on Avanti's part.
Pico4UK strikes again

hkstudent

Established Member

From - London Terminals

Thanks

View attachment 151618

View attachment 151619
Did you check the itinerary sent to you? It's could be a London Overground to Wembley Central and then walk.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did you check the itinerary sent to you? It's could be a London Overground to Wembley Central and then walk.
There is no fixed link from Wembley Central to Stadium, so no it can't be that.

Also the times match perfectly; I found the itinerary on the forum's site and the correct fare was offered. The issue is as described above.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
An 1119 arrival at Wembley Stadium suggests catching the 1110 Chiltern service from London Marylebone. So, is the first part of the journey on London Underground?

mangyiscute

Established Member
The booking itinerary also says Chiltern Railways on it I assume referring to the TOC being used

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So where is the 10:34 departure actually from? Euston Square?
Nominally, London Euston. That's the time you are supposed to enter the Underground station (for a journey using the Victoria and Bakerloo lines via Oxford Circus) or start walking towards Euston Square. Of course the Underground timetable isn't integrated into National Rail journey planners so this is a purely hypothetical time based on average frequencies and durations.

d123c

Thank you for all your replies.

I am now convinced the ticket issued to me is incorrect - even national rail enquires have told me that the tickets have been printed incorrectly.

Having spoken to Avanti they are flat out refusing to refund and telling me that there is no problem at all. I should have no issues on the day and if there is a problem someone at the station will help.

For the sake of £9.40 I feel like purchasing the tickets from elsewhere just to be sure of a hassle free journey!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thank you for all your replies.

I am now convinced the ticket issued to me is incorrect - even national rail enquires have told me that the tickets have been printed incorrectly.

Having spoken to Avanti they are flat out refusing to refund and telling me that there is no problem at all. I should have no issues on the day and if there is a problem someone at the station will help.

For the sake of £9.40 I feel like purchasing the tickets from elsewhere just to be sure of a hassle free journey!
If you have this saved as screenshots or can call it up easily, I would be tempted to use that as evidence. If you care charged extra on the day, get that in writing why and submit it to Avanti.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Complain to accreditation at RDG about it.

If it was a third-party retailer doing this, they'd have been hauled across the coals for it.