• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London International CIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm off to Andorra by train in a few months with a few friends. (mixed rail staff & public fares). Three of us are travelling from Edinburgh (EDB) and I notice that there are reasonable open single fares from there to London International (LNE) that one can purchase if you hold a connecting Eurostar ticket. The ticket concerned is a EOS. A European Open Single? I assume no time restrictions on use.

Now my question is this:-

One of our party if travelling from Cambridge (CBG) to join us in London prior to taking the E*. I've checked on my Avantix machine and the only fare from CBG to LNE is showing 10p for a single. Surely this can not be correct or am I missing something?

Any information appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
That sounds very low. Out of interest is the fare showing 10p a PRIV?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sounds like either an error, or a ticket which is intended to be used as a complimentary....

Sure there are no other fares? (I don't have Avantix)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Fares are available for LONDON INTL(CIV). EOS is £21.20 and EOR is £42.40 (full fare).

Maybe it was not loaded into Avantix?

barrykas

Established Member
The ticket concerned is a EOS. A European Open Single? I assume no time restrictions on use.

The EOS has no time restrictions, though East Coast also offer Advance tickets to London International.

One of our party if travelling from Cambridge (CBG) to join us in London prior to taking the E*. I've checked on my Avantix machine and the only fare from CBG to LNE is showing 10p for a single. Surely this can not be correct or am I missing something?

The 5p and 10p tickets are "Inclusive Tour" ones sold by Travel Agents as part of a package.

"Normal" fares for Cambridge - London International are as follows:
  • Euro Standard Single : £21.20 (£5.30 PRIV)
  • Euro High Saver Return : £30.50 (Valid on trains arriving into London after 09:15, return any time)
  • Euro 1st Single : £34.00 (£8.50 PRIV)
  • Euro Standard Return : £42.40 (£10.60 PRIV)
  • Euro 1st Return : £68.00 (£17.00 PRIV)

HTH,

Barry

GadgetMan

Just checked on my Avantix;

EIS. £0.05
EIF. £0.10
EOS £21.20
EVR £30.50
EFS £34.00
EOR £42.40
EFR. £ 68.00

The above are all public fares. Perhaps your Avantix screen was filtered? You could try hitting the 'ALL' button on the screen if it's there.

embers25

Established Member
Looking in avantix the Euro High Saver fares have no restrictions at all so does that mean break of journey is permitted in both directions provided you compete within two month ticket validity? I'm assuming so but just want to check.

barrykas

Established Member
Looking in avantix the Euro High Saver fares have no restrictions at all so does that mean break of journey is permitted in both directions provided you compete within two month ticket validity? I'm assuming so but just want to check.

The Manual says BoJ is not permitted on the outward journey, but is allowed on the return.

In addition, the outward portion can't be dated more than a day before the Continental journey.

Cheers,

Barry

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just to confirm the full range of fares from CBG to LNE came up on my avantix today (I had previously checked on an avantix issued to a colleague from another TOC - maybe loaded differently?).

Received quotes from Rail Europe/Deutsche Bahn UK for onward travel today also so looking forward to the trip.

Supplementary question;-

Am I correct in thinking that if you have a valid Eurostar ticket in your possession then any booking office can issue the EOS and/or EVR tickets to LNE. I've heard via seat61 that there have been a few issues with regard to issuing them.

Cheers once again,

reb0118

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The Euro single or whatever its called, i've forgotten its name is only valid upon production of a valid Eurostar ticket. I've had them 4 times and have never been asked for my Eurostar ticket, however 2 Guards did look a little confused when I showed it. I had a passenger on a couple of weeks ago with one and he had his Eurostar ticket in his hand when he handed it Euro ticket. Great tickets mind, saves a fortune!

button_boxer

Established Member
I say this every time but I've found that by far the least hassle way to get CIV connecting tickets is to phone Eurostar on 01233 617913. They supply tickets with a destination of "Lndon Estar CIV" instead of "London Intl (CIV)", and I've often found that they have cheaper tiers of advances available even when the equivalent non-CIV advances have sold out - I guess the "Estar" ones have a separate quota or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.