• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roverman

Hi all, new member, I was on the Weds 1.15pm Assessment (the one that started an hour late lol) and I haven't heard anything as yet. I am hoping that no news is good news as I really want to work on the railways!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mksting

Just had interview. Can only echo what Komma said. Very informal, more like a chat. No hard or trick questions. Just asked about relevant experiences. About 45 mins. Will let us k.ow in 7-10 days. Next training course starts Jan 7th.
Good luck everyone.

SJN

Hi MKSTING. Sorry I never replied. I was at work yesterday till late. I had my interview at 8.30 this morning. I felt it went well and had no problems answering the questions. I was there about the same length of time as you. Good luck and fingers crossed.

mksting

No worries SJN.

I always think of questions I should have asked once I've left, so if anyone did ask the following can you let me know please...

What is the starting money
How long before you get a pay rise
Do you get paid for the time you are travelling to/from Birmingham for the training, as I'd have about an extra 90 mins travelling each way.

Cheers

Last edited:

SJN

Hi

£20300 roughly for training then £26819 as starting once fully trained. Dont know about travel as I based in Brum but you get free train pass anyway. I always think of things afterwards too, feel like you want to go back in and do it again. Always the same lol.

mksting

Do you know how long it takes to get fully trained and therefore the wage increase. Also can you do any overtime whilst training?

As much as I'd love the job, its quite a pay cut for me to training wage. Not sure the finances could take it..

SJN

I was told training would take a few months. I didnt ask about overtime whilst training sorry. They said it was a four day week but you could do more and they did say Sunday was extra pay as far as I can remember. I just keep thinking now of more things I could have said in the interview. Oh well.

MKN86

Does anyone know the human resources number for London midland? I can't see it on there website. I went on Tuesday for assessments and haven't heard anything, which seems to be the case for everyone who went tues or weds. I wanna find out wether or not I passed the assessment

mksting

Does anyone know the human resources number for London midland? I can't see it on there website. I went on Tuesday for assessments and haven't heard anything, which seems to be the case for everyone who went tues or weds. I wanna find out wether or not I passed the assessment

The only number I have is whats on the letter inviting me to interview. I presume that's HR. The number is 0121 654 1194

Best of luck.

Komma

The training takes 16 weeks and the money does not rise until you have done a year. This has given me second thoughts as to whether I could afford to take the job, as I would lose 30% pay for a year.

mksting

The training takes 16 weeks and the money does not rise until you have done a year. This has given me second thoughts as to whether I could afford to take the job, as I would lose 30% pay for a year.

Me too Komma.

Could stand it for a few months, but not a year.
I thought the original ad said the money went up once qualified.

SJN

They didnt mention a year to me, they just said after training had finished i'd be on the starting salary of 26,819.

SJN

Hi Roverman. Yes I knew from the original advert what the salary is and I am happy with either as both are a pay rise for me. In the advert though it said the pay rise is once qualified, it doesnt mention a year and in the interview I was led to believe training is around six months.

mksting

SJN, do you still have the original advert? I thought the training rate said 21k+.

Either way, I too knew it would be a paycut whilst training, but not for a complete year.

Roverman

Its a pay rise for me too (a good one in fact) so I'm very happy to live on it for 12 months. I knew the pay rose after 12 months but I can't recall whether I read that on the website or was told that by a friend who works in the industry, its been that long since I completed the application!

I've got the PDFs at home for the advert, I'll see if I can upload them later on tonight.

Komma

Did you not know what the Starting and Qualifying Salaries were going to be?

Yes I did,but when I trained with Virgin my money went up to the normal rate once I had finished training,not after a year of joining.
I could survive for 2 to 3 months of the lower level,but with a wife,2 kids and a mortgage,12 months could see me lose my house.

mksting

Its a pay rise for me too (a good one in fact) so I'm very happy to live on it for 12 months. I knew the pay rose after 12 months but I can't recall whether I read that on the website or was told that by a friend who works in the industry, its been that long since I completed the application!

I've got the PDFs at home for the advert, I'll see if I can upload them later on tonight.

Hi Roverman, did you find the original adverts?

SJN

I haven't got the original advert but I am sure that with overtime and other stuff the salary will mount up. Judging by the news at the moment and the cancellations, there will be plenty of that.

Nestor

Hi Roverman, did you find the original adverts?

This should help:

Salary: Trainee Rates £20,369. Fully Qualified £26,819
Hours/Days: 36 hours per week, worked Monday to Saturday on a roster
basis. Sunday shifts as agreed.

flimes

Has anyone that Assessments on Tuesday or Wednesday been contacted yet. Starting to get very nervous with the waiting and wondering if I should email them or wait a while

Has anyone that Assessments on Tuesday or Wednesday been contacted yet. Starting to get very nervous with the waiting and wondering if I should email them or wait a while
I haven't heard yet. I think it is shocking. Even if they don't have our results yet an email confirming this would be nice...

Roverman

Apologies but I can only find the Job Description and the Invite to Testing Session PDFs not the Advert PDF.

I was on the Weds session and I haven't heard anything at all, also getting worried/stressed out!!

SJN

I went on Monday 15th and Sheila Spence told us we would know by Thursday if we have interview or not. I got my phone call on Thursday and was invited to interview. Did they say at the end of your session when you could expect to hear? I don't know how many attended all sessions in total so don't know how many they have to mark and then phone. I was told they were interviewing Monday and Tuesday this week but they surely can't have got through everyone in two days.

Roverman

I went on Weds afternoon and due to the late start they said they'd have to mark the papers over the next few days and then let us know. If I haven't been called forward to interview I'd like to know why. I did well in all the English and Maths tests, not sure about the Bordon as I'd never done one before and I didn't know we were going to do one!

flimes

I believe I was on the same session as you Roverman (the 1:15 that started nearly an hour late). We were told that they would hear from them by the end of the week.

I don't mind if they phone and tell me I was unsuccessful, at least this way I could practice up on my weak points for next time.

It's just the waiting that's getting to me

I thought dealing with First group was bad but London Midland just appear to be the same the only difference being instead of an automated reply to your query London Midland just don't bother to respond to emails at all!

I was hoping to have heard by now. I've been offered another job (and whilst not on the railways, I can't afford to turn it down...) and it starts on Monday. Because I've said I can do the three weeks training, I know can't go to an interview if they offer me one, so I'm effectively out of the running.

I had expected to hear by now so I could have held off my new starting date.

Status
Not open for further replies.