• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland looking for Conductors and Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-driver

Established Member
I spoke to an LM guard the otherday who has just started as a driver at my TOC and he said he put in for this round of drivers at LM. Had the medical and got a start date but then got a letter saying driver recruitment had been suspended so he would be staying as a guard.

Not to dash hopes but dosnt sound like the driver jobs will be happening and this may mean the guards jobs don't either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
New Senior Conductors did get appointed, (all from existing LM staff), but I am now of the impression that these filled existing vacancies, and no "new" jobs were created.

Drivers recruitment was also supposed to be well underway, but it appears to have been suspended as previously mentioned on this forum.

I wouldn't worry too much, someone should have been in touch though to explain the situation. Your details are usually held for 6 months if they're any good :D

Stone Cold

New Senior Conductors did get appointed, (all from existing LM staff), but I am now of the impression that these filled existing vacancies, and no "new" jobs were created.

Drivers recruitment was also supposed to be well underway, but it appears to have been suspended as previously mentioned on this forum.

I wouldn't worry too much, someone should have been in touch though to explain the situation. Your details are usually held for 6 months if they're any good :D

I cannot understand how such a large company cannot even reply or send an email enlightening any applicant as to the current situation

Established Member
Crikey. Lucky I never bothered go, I got an invite to New St / Birmingham, but chose not to bunk off from my current employer. Sensibly.

GadgetMan

Finally got a email regarding trainee driver application.

Apparently I passed all the assessments but they have filled all the vacancies internally so don't need any external candidates.

It took them around 4 months to realise the above!

jimmy90

Finally got a email regarding trainee driver application.

Apparently I passed all the assessments but they have filled all the vacancies internally so don't need any external candidates.

It took them around 4 months to realise the above!

Beyond belief! LM are rubbish at recruitment!

GadgetMan

Got the same as gadgetman
An email sent followed by an amended one shortly after

Did the second email get your hopes up like it did mine? Before opening the second attachment I thought it was going to offer the job as it said to 'disregard the previous email' :oops:

2Dogbox

I know two people who are disgusted by the way LM has treated them through the recruitment process. I think one of them is now resorting to writing to the MD.

To put someone though the tests and initial interview, tell them that was a success, then put them through testing and final interview which is also a success. You would think that, medical pending, they would be getting a drivers job.

But no, LM have put people through this and then said nothing. No reply to e-mails, no reply to telephone calls. For nearly 4 months. This is the way they treat their own staff.

It's a disgrace.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
Easy now!

You have tests which are valid for 2 years minimum across the UK!

LM have give you/your friends a massive starting point for their careers.

Nym

Established Member
Hey, at least they responded to your contact in some way, I asked them a simple question about the engineering grads they wanted, and never heard anything back, ever...

GadgetMan

I know two people who are disgusted by the way LM has treated them through the recruitment process. I think one of them is now resorting to writing to the MD.

To put someone though the tests and initial interview, tell them that was a success, then put them through testing and final interview which is also a success. You would think that, medical pending, they would be getting a drivers job.

But no, LM have put people through this and then said nothing. No reply to e-mails, no reply to telephone calls. For nearly 4 months. This is the way they treat their own staff.

It's a disgrace.

Are you one of the candidates who applied or are you just going by your friends' recollection?

Every email I sent to LM was promptly replied to. Also someone else I know also had every email replied to.

As far as I can remember there was no initial interview that you are referring to. The only interview was after the assessments.

I agree it's poor of them to have taken 4 months, but if that's the way LM choose to run their recruitment drive then it's their choice.

The bottom line is LM are still one of the TOCs who regularly give people off the streets an opportunity to drop straight into guard and driver roles at a great cost to themselves. So I wouldn't knock them too much.

Yes I got the double email on Monday too and the second one did get my hopes up a bit! As for LM, I must've sent 6 or 7 emails since November last year and only had one reply in that time. I'm already with another TOC and spoke to many LM employees and they said even the internal applicants were kept waiting with no news.

As for them claiming the vacancies have all been filled internally I'm fairly sure this isn't true, I think they've just decided that for some reason they don't need/want as many new drivers as they originally thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.