London Midland strike ballot

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by jcollins, 16 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

MANAGERS at a train operator are being balloted for strike action in a row over pay.

Rail union the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) is balloting more than 30 key London Midland managers in protest at a below-inflation pay rise which is believed to be lower than that offered to other groups of staff.

The union says driver managers and conductor managers have been offered a 3.5 per cent increase, while drivers and other staff they oversee have been given inflation-proof rises for the next three years.

A referendum ballot, held to test members' opinions, saw "overwhelming" support for industrial action.

The ballot process has now begun, and will close on November 28.

If members vote in favour of action, the union will have to give management seven days' notice of any strike or action short of a total strike.

London Midland operates from stations in Crewe, Alsager, Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent, Stone and Stafford.

However, the firm says it is not expecting disruptions if strike action is taken.
    http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ike-pay-rise/story-13862955-detail/story.html

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. IanPooleTrains

IanPooleTrains Established Member

There are only three words I can say to this:

Not (bleep!) again!

This is like a vicious circle, Silverlink want more, LM want more, Silverlink want more, LM want more.............

4. Captain Speaking

Captain Speaking Established Member

The rail industry seems to exist in an economic bubble. Most folk I know haven't seen a pay rise of any kind in recent times and are hoping simply to remain employed, such are the economic times we live in. Indeed, salaries paid in IT are about the same as they were 10 years ago due to globalisation, and that is far from unusual.

Why is it so different in the rail industry? What cushions them from economic reality?

5. michael769

michael769 Established Member

Their unions.

6. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

Would anyone notice if a Railway Gaffer went on strike !!

7. crewmeal

crewmeal Member

OMG Mr Ian Poole will have nothing to complain about!

8. Badger

Badger Member

Frankly it's amazing we're in a situation where unions can pretty much blackmail a country into supporting them - if they don't get the pay rise then the country and it's commuters suffer. Public transport should be like the emergency services, i.e. unstrikable. I understand the need to strike, but it's not fair to the passengers, who are hit far more than the TOC is by the strikes.

9. IanPooleTrains

IanPooleTrains Established Member

That's Mr. IanPooleTrains to you kidda ;)

Only my friends call me Ian Poole and family call me Ian

And i don't complain, I stratigically inform :lol:

10. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

I've said it before and I'll say it again -just because there is a ballot does not eman that there will be a strike. It is all part of the posturing, positioning and negotiating process.

11. SS4

SS4 Established Member

If the private sector had good unions they'd be taking industrial action. Note I said "Industrial Action" not "Strike".

12. Captain Speaking

Strike or not, Greenback, turning down a 3.5% wage increas offer in today's climate smacks of a protected industry. At the taxpayers' expense, of course.

13. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Or a strong union. That being said I bet Cameron would love to finish what Thatcher started regarding trade unions and their traditional protection of workers' rights. That being said if the question were being put to me I'd only vote for action short of strike.

14. Captain Speaking

Err yeeees. So everyone goes on strike (or takes 'industrial action') against everyone else. No-one wants to work because no-one will pay the increased prices or taxes to pay for the increased wages everyone is striking (or whatever) for...

Don't you see a tiny flaw in that strategy? Or do you think the Money Fairy will come along and make everything OK by magicing a big pile of dosh so we can all have the big wage packets we want without anyone having to pay for them?

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.