• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Super Off Peak return Liverpool - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastend43

Hi

I've got a Super Off Peak return from Liverpool Lime St to London Euston, valid only on London Midland. The restriction code is LF, which I understand means I can travel to London on London Midland on the 10.34 from Liverpool (as the connection gets into Euston after 1pm). Coming back later in the day I understand I can get the 18.05 from Euston to Crewe as the restriction specifically states the ticket is valid on that train, even though the main part of that restriction states you cannot depart the origin station between 16.30 and 19.30.

So it is pretty clear to me that I can't get the 19.13 departure from Euston, changing at Birmingham, unless I had an Off Peak return ticket which does not have the evening restriction.

So would I be able to pay an excess to change the Super Off Peak return to an Off Peak return to allow me to travel back at 19.13? Reading the fares guide on here suggests that I can and that there is no penalty for doing that on train. Is that likely to be case in real life?

Or, can I take the 20.13 departure from Euston to Crewe with the Super Off Peak and break my journey there (and get a lift home from Crewe). The London Midland journey planner doesn't seem to suggest that I can, but I can't work out why. It only gives me the Off Peak fare with the 6.5 hour overnight wait at Crewe.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've got a Super Off Peak return from Liverpool Lime St to London Euston, valid only on London Midland. The restriction code is LF, which I understand means I can travel to London on London Midland on the 10.34 from Liverpool (as the connection gets into Euston after 1pm).
Correct (or more accurately, the 1034 doesn't arrive in Euston before 1300 - or at all!).
Coming back later in the day I understand I can get the 18.05 from Euston to Crewe as the restriction specifically states the ticket is valid on that train, even though the main part of that restriction states you cannot depart the origin station between 16.30 and 19.30.
Yep.

So it is pretty clear to me that I can't get the 19.13 departure from Euston, changing at Birmingham, unless I had an Off Peak return ticket which does not have the evening restriction.
Correct.

So would I be able to pay an excess to change the Super Off Peak return to an Off Peak return to allow me to travel back at 19.13? Reading the fares guide on here suggests that I can and that there is no penalty for doing that on train. Is that likely to be case in real life?
You would be able to excess the ticket at a cost of £11, assuming no Railcard is being used. I wouldn't plan on doing this on-board as you may find yourself being sent back to the ticket office if there's ticket checks on the platform, but if you were on board then the excess would be the same. I have no experience of LM so I can't say whether procedures will be followed correctly.

Unless you're short of time I would get it done before boarding to avoid hassle.

Or, can I take the 20.13 departure from Euston to Crewe with the Super Off Peak and break my journey there (and get a lift home from Crewe). The London Midland journey planner doesn't seem to suggest that I can, but I can't work out why. It only gives me the Off Peak fare with the 6.5 hour overnight wait at Crewe.
Yes you can. The journey planner might only show the Off Peak Return if the morning leg is at a time barred by the Super Off Peak but not the Off Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.