• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground 378

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitesse

Walked in thru the shed today and there was one on No. 1 Road and andother on No. 2 Road.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
May just be roumour but there was talk of a 378 going into the bay platform at Willesden monday 18th for some sort of launch, apparently some media coverage etc. However this is just messroom rumours and have no factual info to back it up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Electrostar

There were rumours on the Skyscraper City forum of a Class 378 press launch today but, even if a unit is ready, I can't imagine they'd have an official launch while Boris Johnson is in South Korea.

Electrostar

In theory, if their was a sub-class of 378s which only worked the TFL-owned East London Line from Dalston Junction to New Cross and didn't cross on to Network Rail tracks, could it have an all-over red cab, rather than a yellow one? (Obviously this wouldn't happen but in theory.)

Established Member
I caught a glimpse of 001 and 005 in the TMD at Willesden yesterday evening, at about 5.30ish.

You sure that is 001 and not 007. 001 was taken back to Derby. When i walked around the TMD at Willesden on Friday last only 005 and 007 was there.

The 'proposed show on Monday did not take place. I am at a meeting with the Directors and they will no doubt let me know how near we are getting the trains. If it can be let known to the public i will post here.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The 378s are still doing milage accumulation up and down the WCML to Bletchley and back. Late night services though, due in Bletchley around 2300 I think.

NSEFAN

Established Member
if their was a sub-class of 378s which only worked the TFL-owned East London Line from Dalston Junction to New Cross and didn't cross on to Network Rail tracks, could it have an all-over red cab, rather than a yellow one?

Can't see why not. The Metropolitan line trains have red ends, and they run on "mainline" track, albeit owned by LUL. It's actually the chiltern units that need to conform to the LUL safety equipment between Harrow on the Hill and Amersham.

But like you said it wouldn't happen. It'd be silly to do so. If they're all suitable for mainline use then it's a more flexible system in case of failures. But that'll never happen. ;)

Established Member
Class 378s will start to enter passenger service on Monday 15 June 2009, this came from the Operations Director and Managing Director London Overground. Not sure which unit it will be though.

Was also informed that unit 005 has completed its 2,000 fault free miles, so therefore staff training can commence very shortly. Unit 007 is not far behind and the company are expecting more to arrive very quickly in the next couple of weeks.

Was told that they are watching the window very closely regarding the new build class 172s which are also being manufactured by Bombardier, as you know already the introduction of the class 378s is already 7 months behind schedule.

Now if you haven't already is to get your chance of getting your milage and piccys of the class 313s.

will1337

Any knowledge as to when there'll be a pretty mixed fleet on the NLL, as I would get a 7 day season along the NLL when the 378s are coming in but I'm fond of the 313s.

Electrostar

What stage are the 172s at? Have there been any photos published yet of the bodies or cabs, or are they not even at that point yet?

Established Member
In reply to will1337, not sure when we will a pretty mix bag, but i would probabaly think that the latter part of June or through July. Cannot guarentee anything but i could keep you up to date with any information that i get.

In reply to Electrostar, no work has started on the build yet, but obviously LOROL managers are concerned even at this early stage. I belive that the build of the 172s will start earlier in 2010.

Pumbaa

Established Member
What stage are the 172s at? Have there been any photos published yet of the bodies or cabs, or are they not even at that point yet?

The production lines at Derby are full, they only have five. Two are on 377s for FCC, 1 for 378s for TfL, 1 on S Stock for TfL and 1 on 2009 Stock for TfL.

It is hoped that that the 377s will be turned over to 172s as soon as they are done.

mackenzie_blu

The production lines at Derby are full, they only have five. Two are on 377s for FCC, 1 for 378s for TfL, 1 on S Stock for TfL and 1 on 2009 Stock for TfL.

It is hoped that that the 377s will be turned over to 172s as soon as they are done.

:idea: So the first 172 will start being built in late August then.

Established Member
Due to problems with the DOO equipment, it is likely that the first 378 will enter service on the North London Line/West London Line.

Established Member
Due to problems with the DOO equipment, it is likely that the first 378 will enter service on the North London Line/West London Line.

I notice that there is a new "378 stop" mark on the down DC platform at Stonebridge Park, it is some distance short of the existing DOO mirror.

anthony263

Established Member
Hopefully i will get to have a trip on one of these new class 378s when i next visit london in july

westcoaster

Established Member
related to the 378's ive got to say new cross depot it coming along at a blinding pace, all roads laid and third rail in place, tamping taking place this week, connection onto the down london bridge slow in place, connection from the up london bridge slow and up and over the bridge all in place, new up sidding in place and signals working, all signals in place, can't be long now till it opens.

mackenzie_blu

For anyone wanting ti know wht Shoreditch High Street is now Zone 1, well I have the answer for you;

"Thank you for your email.

Yes, I can confirm that the Secretary of State (Department for Transport) has set out a condition that Shoreditch be a Zone 1 station as part of the funding deal that’s been agreed.

As with most of these type of agreements, they are complicated and involved and I'm not in a position to provide further details of the reasoning behind the decision. "

Its taken me a few weeks to get this information but seems ELLX Phase 2 has come at a price.

Established Member
The introduction of the class 378s has now been put back yet again, the new date is now supposed to be June 29. No surprises there as no conductors have been trained and very drivers either.

Dazz285

Been reported by Tim from SE Gen group

378016 will be moved south 02/06/09
378013 will be moved south 05/06/09
QUOTE]

Can't wait to test them ;)
378005 completed 2000 miles of testing and 378007 nearly done, few more days this week to Tring and back..

Status
Not open for further replies.