• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground class 378s at London Bridge this Sunday 25/02/2024, and Easter Sunday 31/03/2024

Thornaby 37

Mods please feel free to move if this has been posted in the wrong forum

According to the Branch Line Society and confirmed on RTT, a London Overground class 378 is due to make a test run from Crystal Palace to London Bridge this Sunday 25/02/2024, arriving at 10:34 and departing at 10:54
This is in conjunction with engineering works taking place on Easter Sunday, when London Overground will be running a half hourly shuttle between West Croydon and London Bridge [timings of which are also on RTT}
It did make me wonder, will this be the first time London Bridge is served by London Overground, also why Southern aren't running this service ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wickham

Of course the crux of the matter here is that Southern are Government funded (so don't appear to care very much) while Overground is TfL, funded by the Mayor of London (who DOES appear to care about how people get around). So presumably the cost of this will be covered by The Mayor instead of the DFT.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Of course the crux of the matter here is that Southern are Government funded (so don't appear to care very much) while Overground is TfL, funded by the Mayor of London (who DOES appear to care about how people get around). So presumably the cost of this will be covered by The Mayor instead of the DFT.
The alternative facts are that TfL have spare rolling stock to run these services which are already in its fleet. Southern running more services into London Bridge would cost money.

Anyway, the point of this thread is about services running on Sunday 31 March when London Bridge is open and the route via Canada Water isn't, which seems a logical step, regardless of what Southern are doing.

jamieh27

That is right and of course London Overground isn't going to be affected by the savage cuts by the DfT government which is a good thing.

Already discussed in detail here https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tfl-considering-sydenham-corridor-am-improvement.256330/
but in a nutshell TfL are planning to add peak services into London Bridge due to overcrowding on their services and Southern failing to provide a better service. This is the first time they’ve ran here.
Yes I heard about that on a rail magazine I think having Overground to London Bridge from Crystal Palace is such as good benefit for London Bridge since Southeastern have slashed some of their services making the station more over crowded and dangerous for people.

CarrotPie

It did make me wonder, will this be the first time London Bridge is served by London Overground, also why Southern aren't running this service ?
Southern would normally run a Victoria-London Bridge rounder via Sydenham, but because they aren't (engineering works) and the ELL can't get through the core, LO is running them to London Bridge to give at least some service to Sydenham. Why aren't Southern running it? Laziness?

jamieh27

Southern would normally run a Victoria-London Bridge rounder via Sydenham, but because they aren't (engineering works) and the ELL can't get through the core, LO is running them to London Bridge to give at least some service to Sydenham. Why aren't Southern running it? Laziness?
Southerns half hourly services from London Bridge to East Croydon have been cut by DfT, Southern is still a privatised company so no surprises but thats private franchise for you.

ScotGG

Established Member
TSGN have a year then to get 379s signed off from DaFT to free up 387s and bolster other services?

Unlikely I'd say by Jan 2025.

Maybe mid 2025 timetable change?

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
TSGN have a year then to get 379s signed off from DaFT to free up 387s and bolster other services?

Unlikely I'd say by Jan 2025.

Maybe mid 2025 timetable change?
As I commented elsewhere the plan is for December 2024