• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground class 710s

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystock22

Anyone have any idea why the London Overground Class 710's still have audio and visual annual which make reference to some people may have an excemption for not wearing a face mask?

The legal requirement to wear a face mask on public transport ended over six months ago.

Only the London Overground Class 710s still have these announcements, not on any LO class 378s or any other TfL Tube train or bus.

Is there a software problem with the PIS on the 710s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicks

Agreed, it's driving me crazy on the 710s - the message appears to be going out after every other station at loud volume and seemingly using as many words as possible to drive the pathetic message home - except of course mask wearing is probably down to 1% now and nobody cares if you do or don't. The BTP one is also unnecessarily long and loud. These messages even get through my noise cancelling headphones!

andystock22

Agreed, it's driving me crazy on the 710s - the message appears to be going out after every other station at loud volume and seemingly using as many words as possible to drive the pathetic message home - except of course mask wearing is probably down to 1% now and nobody cares if you do or don't. The BTP one is also unnecessarily long and loud. These messages even get through my noise cancelling headphones!

Fully agree, it gets very annoying after every station stop. Especially as only 5% to 10% of people are still wearing face masks on trains in London in my personal experience.

mightyena

I don't understand why so many TOCs seem to consider it a cardinal sin to have a gap longer than ~5 seconds where the PIS isn't yammering on about something.

Especially egregious are some of the Thameslink services who's station announcements get cut off because the train is arriving into the next station and has to play a new announcement

Class 170101

Established Member
Probably not updated the PIS as its expensive to keep doing it. Some of GA services still keep saying it too.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
PIS needs a new database put into it and someone at Alstom / Bombardier (alongside LO) to sort it.

Recessio

Given the software problems on Aventras and particularly 710s, maybe they should just leave it alone, rather than try changing the message and risk breaking everything!

T-Karmel

I don't exactly listen to this announcement from the front seat so I'm not certain, but doesn't it say something like "We strongly recommend wearing a face covering"? Which goes along with a TfL ongoing campaign with posters and they still include it even in weekly travel update emails.

BJames

Established Member
I don't exactly listen to this announcement from the front seat so I'm not certain, but doesn't it say something like "We strongly recommend wearing a face covering"? Which goes along with a TfL ongoing campaign with posters and they still include it even in weekly travel update emails.
Yes - they're being very stubborn about it, I haven't heard it anywhere in EMR land (as just one example) for a very long time now, and no train guards on any company I've travelled with for many months have mentioned masks.

On the topic of announcements on the 710s, other problems I've noticed include when 8-cars are in operation and the short platform announcement is cut off before Hackney Downs every time, before then playing in full on the final approach.

I don't understand why so many TOCs seem to consider it a cardinal sin to have a gap longer than ~5 seconds where the PIS isn't yammering on about something.

Especially egregious are some of the Thameslink services who's station announcements get cut off because the train is arriving into the next station and has to play a new announcement
Honestly - I've had two journeys on the 710s recently where the PIS was switched off for whatever reason and the time displayed on the screens instead. Most pleasant journey I've had in a while! Not that I mind Emma Hignett's voice too much, but it's nice to have some peace on an all-stations service where it's normally pretty constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.