• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground engineering today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

Looking to travel Bedford to West Brompton today, on a route West Hampstead Cheap Day Return. Engineering work has shut much of the London Overground.

www.nationalrail.co.uk is giving me a bizarre journey, including:
a bus from West Hampstead to Gunnersbury
a train from Gunnersbury to Richmond
a train from Richmond to Clapham Junction
a bus from Clapham Junction to West Brompton

What are the chances of that ticket being accepted on the gate at West Hampstead Underground, and being valid for a journey to West Bromton via Jubilee Line and District Line (or indeed any other tube route)?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
According to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/rail/rail-all-weekend.html you could be alright. But http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetrave...ekend&mode=rail&line=all&incident=1088093_TfL doesn't mention tube for the second part of your journey. The problem is that any open tube route takes you through zone 1. The best I can suggest is asking at West Hampstead Jubilee line station which is the terminus today as the line is shut to Stanmore. The District line is also shut west of Earls Court apart from Wimbledon services.

Good luck!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
You might be better off (given how long the suggested route via Gunnersbury would take) might be just to get the 328 bus from West Hampstead to Earls Court (round the corner from West Brompton). Sure you'd have to pay for it, but it might even be the quickest way.

Carefree

Thanks for the advice & info.

To answer part my own question, the ticket allowed me through the gates at West Hampstead tube. Does anyone therefore know if this ticket is routinely valid on the tube? I'd previously been led to believe that 'route West Hampstead' required the ticket holder to use National Rail services from the named station, not tube.

Daniel

Established Member
Does the ticket have a maltese cross on it?

Either way LU accept LO tickets during E/W normally, so it would have been valid.

Carefree

Ticket shows:
From 'Bedford Stations'
To 'West Brompton *' (asterisk, not a Maltese Cross)
Route 'West Hampstead'

The issue here is that there are three stations called 'West Hampstead' - all on different routes. And the ticket seems to work through all barriers.

I'd be interested to know the true validity. I doubt it is routinely valid on the tube, but if the gates at both West Hampstead tube and West Brompton tube (where the entrance is shared with London Overground) accept it, then I can't see how a ticket holder could ever have a problem using it.

Note: the route West Hampstead ticket is £11.20 with Gold Card; the any permitted ticket is £15.85 with Gold Card.

Wolfie

Established Member
It just so happens I use London Overground and have the special leaflet the put out (not sure if it is available on line!) for these works, which run from 19 to 27 Feb 11, in front of me.

The leaflet says "The ticket type which you have will affect where your ticket will be valid on the alterative travel options available" then gives a table.

To summarise:

For Oyster (both PAYG and Z2-6 travelcard) the text for tube and National Rail is the same and says:
- Start and end your journey at your usual London Overground station or if it is cloased use the nearest Tube or National Rail station
- If you travel via Z1 the additional cost is refundable
- To receive a refund you can not touch out in Z1

For paper season ticket Z2-6:
Tube:
- Start and end your journey in zones where your ticket is usually valid
- You cannot break your journey in Z1
National Rail:
- For travel only on National Rail in zones where your ticket is usually valid
- You will not be allowed to pass through barriers at stations in Z1

Not sure what type of ticket you would be using but would imagine that while there is no specific mention of paper non-season tickets this means that use of the Tube to pass through Z1 but not exit would be acceptable.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The leaflet is on the TFL website. See:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/overground-february-closures-leaflet.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.