• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground - Shunter - Chingford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner18

Afternoon all ,

Never seen shunter/ depot driver for London Overground, especially at Chingford. Unfortunately nothing about wage. Link below.

Introduction
Shunter (Chingford)
On-Site, Shifts
Arriva Rail London

Arriva Rail London is part of the Arriva group. Arriva is a leading provider of passenger transport in Europe, employing around 40,000 people and delivering around 1.2 billion passenger journeys across 13 European countries. It is part of Deutsche Bahn (DB), one of the world’s leading passenger and logistics companies.

Arriva Rail London have a brand new, exciting opportunity where you will be joining the team in Chingford as a Shunter. An excellent opportunity for someone who is looking for an entry level role in the railway, which can lead to future progression within ARL.

Applications close Tuesday 16th May 2023, may close early due to applicant volume.

You will also benefit from:

• Free Travel for you and a nominated person at your address on TfL Network - this alone worth total £5,200 per annun
• Discounts on European rail services after 1 year of service
• Free travel on Arriva branded rail services around the country

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Chingford is the only place where ARL directly employ shunters. The equivalent roles at Willesden and New Cross Gate are employed by Alstom.

Gooner18

I wonder what the wage is the a depot / shunter is at Chingford / Willesden

Ralph Ayres

I'm intrigued by the claimed value of the free TfL travel. There's no directly comparable priced ticket as it's not valid on most NR services but does cover TfL out to both Reading and Shenfield. It's only in practice worth the amount of travel you actually make with it, and even then you should probably exclude any travel only made because it's free. Stating a specific high value might result in a few more applicants but is mostly just ammunition for prospective Tory mayoral candidates.

Business Bob

Do shunters drive the trains to get them ready at Chingford?

Do you know as the whether the shunters drive / move the trains to get them ready ?

I couldnt say 100% what they do at Chingford as I'm Willesden based, but they'll move trains around the yard to position them for drivers to take out, move them around to stable them or get them in and out the shed for maintenance. I know a driver who's a former SE shunter and he said they moved them onto the mainline into the station for the drivers.

Gooner18

I couldnt say 100% what they do at Chingford as I'm Willesden based, but they'll move trains around the yard to position them for drivers to take out, move them around to stable them or get them in and out the shed for maintenance. I know a driver who's a former SE shunter and he said they moved them onto the mainline into the station for the drivers.
Cheers. Maybe the don’t at Chingford as it don’t say anything about doing psychometric tests. I guess that’s the difference between a shunter and a depot driver ?

Business Bob

Cheers. Maybe the don’t at Chingford as it don’t say anything about doing psychometric tests. I guess that’s the difference between a shunter and a depot driver ?
Na I dont think they do psychometric tests as chatting to one of the Willesden Alstom guys who wants to go mainline, he hadnt done any of the stuff I'd sent to help him out with that.

SRH

Chingford driver here

For clarity, Chingford shunters DO NOT drive the units..

All shunts are done by the drivers

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'm intrigued by the claimed value of the free TfL travel. There's no directly comparable priced ticket as it's not valid on most NR services but does cover TfL out to both Reading and Shenfield. It's only in practice worth the amount of travel you actually make with it, and even then you should probably exclude any travel only made because it's free. Stating a specific high value might result in a few more applicants but is mostly just ammunition for prospective Tory mayoral candidates.

It’s an Oyster card for TfL services. I imagine they’ve averaged it out to be £100/week, but how they go to that figure is indeed an interesting one!

If you drive to work every day still, then evidently it’s “worth” less to you.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think it is just the price of two annual zone 1-6 travelcards (albeit a bit out of date).

Established Member
It’s an Oyster card for TfL services. I imagine they’ve averaged it out to be £100/week, but how they go to that figure is indeed an interesting one!

If you drive to work every day still, then evidently it’s “worth” less to you.

I think it is just the price of two annual zone 1-6 travelcards (albeit a bit out of date).

In which case it’s somewhat dishonest, when (AIUI) the free travel for the spouse doesn’t include commuting, which a regular season ticket obviously would.

greatkingrat

Established Member
In which case it’s somewhat dishonest, when (AIUI) the free travel for the spouse doesn’t include commuting, which a regular season ticket obviously would.
There are no restrictions on commuting for either the staff member or the nominee on TfL Staff Oyster Cards. You might be thinking of the National Rail Priv Cards which are for leisure travel only.

Established Member
There are no restrictions on commuting for either the staff member or the nominee on TfL Staff Oyster Cards. You might be thinking of the National Rail Priv Cards which are for leisure travel only.

Thanks for clarifying - I hadn’t appreciated that. That’s a lot more attractive than the TOC equivalent for nominee travel.

Samzino

Thanks for clarifying - I hadn’t appreciated that. That’s a lot more attractive than the TOC equivalent for nominee travel.
Yeh on the Elizabeth Line you get that TFL Priv and then the 75% Rail Leisure card as the TFL Staff and Nominee priv card is specfically for only TFL services and not national rail. Think however it will cover Fenchurch to Upminster and two other national rail routes.

Gooner18

Does anyone know the career email address as the one on the site does not work. Just trying to find out the wage , always annoys me when no wage is shown

MattyL

Not heard anything neither, imagine like every other TOC we'll probably forget all about it and hear from them in a few months time!

MattyL

Afternoon all, was wondering if anyone has heard anything? Just checked on the DB careers website and saying "application in process"!

Status
Not open for further replies.